Mega Thread The Footy Dept Thread Part I - #SackHardwick or #StandByDimma?

Should he go?

• See out his contract

Votes: 44 15.0%
  • See out the year

Votes: 130 44.2%
  • See out the day

Votes: 93 31.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardwick summed it up perfectly in the presser on friday. "we have the talent however we just need to harness it" You've had 6 years to do this dimma.

I wouldn't be upset if I didn't think we were a better team with much better output then we have however we meander through games, there is no manic desperation that other teams show.

A good coach could take us to be a top 4 team, dimma has been a great coach to bring us from where we were to a competitive team who is around the bottom reaches of the 8, however we have stagnated for the last 2 years. After 2013 one would resonably expect 2 years later we would be challenging for a top 4 spot however we are far from that at the moment.

We have a solid core, we have a poor bottom 6 or so however that can be fixed. The new coach would get a much further advanced team then dimma was left by wallace 6 years ago.

Unless we somehow turn around and make it to the 2nd/3rd week of september which I highly doubt, he shouldn't be allowed to fulfil his contract for 2016.
He hasnt had 6 years...
He has had 6 years to build to this point.
It took 4 years to get a competitive list.
He has had 2 years

Censorship

Yes.

I'm firmly of the belief that DH will not lead us to a premiership. But we had the chance to get rid of him last year and we didn't take it. Subsequently he is coach for this year and no matter what he gets a chance to prove himself. That chance lasts longer than 2, 3 or 4 rounds.

So my point is let's get a better line on the season. I reckon 8 to 10 rounds will show us where we are at. It's not looking good at the moment, I really thought we'd be a good chance for 4-0 at this stage. But this W-L-W-L cycle just gets the brightsiders up and then the darksiders up, and it's of no benefit to anyone.

Move ahead to round 8 and if we're 2-6 or 3-5 then the darksiders have a far stonger case. If it's the other way around then the brightsiders have a better case. If it is 4-4 wait another two rounds. DH would want the side at 6-4 at least by then, because anything less really just shows we're not improving.

He hasnt had 6 years...
He has had 2 years
we are far to easy to coach against, we lost the game on friday exactly the same way we lost to the dogs. give us no space, stack our fwd line and then when we inevitably turn it over spread quickly and take it to opposition fwd 50 to score easy goals.

I can sort of accept it once however when it happens again against inferior opposition and we do not have any way to counter this, i think it speaks very poorly of the coaches box.

I'm not for sacking hardwick mid season as that is counter productive however unless there is a massive turnaround he can't be coach next year. I really hope I'm wrong as would love to see him and the team turn it around but i doubt it will happen.

And hopefully we'll win many more, starting with Geelong next week.
World hasn't ended and we WILL get better, can't see the need for absolute panic at the moment.

This is not panic, it is utter disappointment of seeing the players making the same mistakes again & again that too against oppositions we should be rolling over..! If we fumble against pressure of port, it is bearable but not the Dees or the dogs....
If it was a one off, it is bearable but we did it 2 weeks ago against the dogs and repeat the performance again.

We are only better than carlton, brisbane and st kilda..! every other team has a realistic chance of rolling us. Is that improvement.? The club, players and everyone involved deserves the filth from us supporters who have been living in hope of glory for so fuc**** long and in return get to see this garbage fished up every 2 weeks..!

Players need to be held accountable! No one in the team should feel safe and that includes the dinky kick master cotch..! if you don't perform you dont deserve the jumper! that's how a winning culture is developed.

Adam goodes was dropped from the swans playing 22! that's how ruthless we need to be if we are ever to be a real contender.....

IF we sack hardwick we need a coach that can come straight in a make us make the 8.
We have come to far to rebuild.

:confused: beating a bunch of teams playing for nothing at the back end of 2014 does not mean we are come far.

Mind you we can't lose to Geelong this weekend because they are playing for nothing this time as well

we are far to easy to coach against, we lost the game on friday exactly the same way we lost to the dogs. give us no space, stack our fwd line and then when we inevitably turn it over spread quickly and take it to opposition fwd 50 to score easy goals.

I can sort of accept it once however when it happens again against inferior opposition and we do not have any way to counter this, i think it speaks very poorly of the coaches box.

I'm not for sacking hardwick mid season as that is counter productive however unless there is a massive turnaround he can't be coach next year. I really hope I'm wrong as would love to see him and the team turn it around but i doubt it will happen.

Disagree, in a building/development phase Dimma can easily coach in 2016. Why are Melbourne inferior anyway? Bulldogs smashed Adelaide and Demons have plenty of high draft picks in important positions

If Dimma does not coach are you going to pay for the payout?

He hasnt had 6 years...
He has had 2 years
So true, and now we need to see the guys like Conca, Vlaustin, Lennon, Griffiths, Vickery, McDonough, McIntosh, McBean, Arnott, C Ellis (maybe next year) become consistent AFL players to compliment Cotchin, Martin, Deledio (how we miss him!), Reiwoldt, Maric, Astbury, Rance, Chaplin, Edwards, B Ellis, Houli etc, probably missed a few. Guys like Morris, Grigg, Hunt, Gordon etc need to be there to put real pressure on the incumbents.
Still 18 rounds to go in a very volatile season, some teams have jumped out of the blocks, some are treading water (us) and some have started dreadfully.
Need to find Maric's replacement quickly mind.

This is not panic, it is utter disappointment of seeing the players making the same mistakes again & again that too against oppositions we should be rolling over..! If we fumble against pressure of port, it is bearable but not the Dees or the dogs....
If it was a one off, it is bearable but we did it 2 weeks ago against the dogs and repeat the performance again.

We are only better than carlton, brisbane and st kilda..! every other team has a realistic chance of rolling us. Is that improvement.? The club, players and everyone involved deserves the filth from us supporters who have been living in hope of glory for so fuc**** long and in return get to see this garbage fished up every 2 weeks..!

Players need to be held accountable! No one in the team should feel safe and that includes the dinky kick master cotch..! if you don't perform you dont deserve the jumper! that's how a winning culture is developed.

Adam goodes was dropped from the swans playing 22! that's how ruthless we need to be if we are ever to be a real contender.....
Sacking a coach four rounds in and at 2-2 is panic IMO, and that's what a lot on here are calling for.
Totally agree on the utter disappointment, Friday night was as disappointed, in the entire club, as I have been for some time.

Sacking a coach four rounds in and at 2-2 is panic IMO, and that's what a lot on here are calling for.
Totally agree on the utter disappointment, Friday night was as disappointed, in the entire club, as I have been for some time.

Agree. I believe Hardwick wont change and needs to be replaced, he just cant lift us to he next stage of development IMO BUT that should wait till the end of the year and only if we have locked away a proven coach.

Unless we can get Lyon, Roos, Clarkson or Worsefold there is no point sacking Dimma.
IMO we are in a simular position to Geelong in 06.
We still have a relativley young list. We just need our leaders to stand up at important times of the game.
IMO if we dont make finals this year it shouldnt mean we sack Hardwick.
We have come a long way under him and still have a long way to go.

How do we have the talent of Geelong 2006 and we have not win in finals yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, sacking dimma mid season is silly but you'd hope that the board have him on notice to perform or perish.

Agree, sacking dimma mid season is silly but you'd hope that the board have him on notice to perform or perish.

But if we don't have the list to perform how can they perform?

Wouldn't it be better to dump him after 2016 when our list gets better so the next coach has a chance to improve instead of another rinse repeat?

The next coach has to have a decent list to work with to try and catch up with the likes of Melbourne and Bulldogs moving ahead. Otherwise we do another rinse and repeat with the next coach from inflated expectations!

Last edited:
Hardwick summed it up perfectly in the presser on friday. "we have the talent however we just need to harness it" You've had 6 years to do this dimma.

I wouldn't be upset if I didn't think we were a better team with much better output then we have however we meander through games, there is no manic desperation that other teams show.

A good coach could take us to be a top 4 team, dimma has been a great coach to bring us from where we were to a competitive team who is around the bottom reaches of the 8, however we have stagnated for the last 2 years. After 2013 one would resonably expect 2 years later we would be challenging for a top 4 spot however we are far from that at the moment.

We have a solid core, we have a poor bottom 6 or so however that can be fixed. The new coach would get a much further advanced team then dimma was left by wallace 6 years ago.

Unless we somehow turn around and make it to the 2nd/3rd week of september which I highly doubt, he shouldn't be allowed to fulfil his contract for 2016.
DH has to stop over rating the list.This is the same mistake Frawley made and we ended up with a list of spuds with long contracts or just needed moving on
Morris Grigg Hampson Foley(sorry) Newman(thank you,but sorry) chaplin(bc we could have been developing Elton .waste of money bc we were never ready to challenge)
then Thomas Knights Lloyd Gordon etc etc
although some of those guys served a purpose somewhere in the 5 yrs they should only of had a 2year
contract at max and upgraded,but some have out worn their welcome

O' Blair and Frank why have you abandoned us with list cloggers

DH has to stop over rating the list.This is the same mistake Frawley made and we ended up with a list of spuds with long contracts or just needed moving on
Morris Grigg Hampson Foley(sorry) Newman(thank you,but sorry) chaplin(bc we could have been developing Elton .waste of money bc we were never ready to challenge)
then Thomas Knights Lloyd Gordon etc etc
although some of those guys served a purpose somewhere in the 5 yrs they should only of had a 2year
contract at max and upgraded,but some have out worn their welcome

O' Blair and Frank why have you abandoned us with list cloggers

Exactly, and some believe we are capable of top 4 atm!!:eek:

Amazing!!:cool:

But if we don't have the list to perform how can they perform?

Wouldn't it be better to dump him after 2016 when our list gets better so the next coach has a chance to improve instead of another rinse repeat?

I disagree to some extent. I believe we have a good list that just needs to be tweaked a bit to take the next step. The players have the skills but lack the intent. Perhaps they feel their job is safe regardless of their performance. This is where a better, tougher and ruthless coach can turn things around but creating a strong culture within the club....

And that's been my belief all along - the Board and Administration do know what they are doing, the ARE being professional and not making decisions based on emotion, media/supporter pressure or to be seen to be doing something.
Our next coaching appointment, either a new coach or retaining Dimma, is the most important that I can remember, I say this because we are now a stable and economically viable club, we don't have an ageing list and we do have some very, very good players coming into their prime playing years, yes, some of these players need to step up to elite as I think Lids is our only elite player ATM, Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Edwards (who's getting very close), Rance, B Ellis certainly have shown signs that they can be, 6 elite players is a lot! Then we need, we all know who they are to step up again, so if we do replace Dimma it must be with someone that we KNOW can continue, and accelerate even, the progression, does that person, and are they available, exist?

It's vastly different to the Frawley/Wallace years as we are not a basket case any more.

How do we have the talent of Geelong 2006 and we have not win in finals yet?
We don't have the talent Geelong had on that list. Certain posters keep bringing up that era of Geelong and comparing it to us as another excuse for Hardwick.

This thread shows me we have a lot of passionate supporters who are sick of losing and expected to be 4-0 after 4 games.

It also tells me a bunch of other things about these posters that will probably get me carded if I spell them out.

By all means evaluate the situation at the end of the year. until then it's a moot point as far as I am concerned.

I disagree to some extent. I believe we have a good list that just needs to be tweaked a bit to take the next step. The players have the skills but lack the intent. Perhaps they feel their job is safe regardless of their performance. This is where a better, tougher and ruthless coach can turn things around but creating a strong culture within the club....

Put it this way. If you were a new coach for RFC would you want to come in in 2016 or 2017?

I know if I was the new coach I would prefer 2017 because the team should be better in 2017 with more to work with!!:cool:

And that's been my belief all along - the Board and Administration do know what they are doing, the ARE being professional and not making decisions based on emotion, media/supporter pressure or to be seen to be doing something.
Our next coaching appointment, either a new coach or retaining Dimma, is the most important that I can remember, I say this because we are now a stable and economically viable club, we don't have an ageing list and we do have some very, very good players coming into their prime playing years, yes, some of these players need to step up to elite as I think Lids is our only elite player ATM, Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Edwards (who's getting very close), Rance, B Ellis certainly have shown signs that they can be, 6 elite players is a lot! Then we need, we all know who they are to step up again, so if we do replace Dimma it must be with someone that we KNOW can continue, and accelerate even, the progression, does that person, and are they available, exist?

It's vastly different to the Frawley/Wallace years as we are not a basket case any more.
Atleast Frawley won a final. How's Hardwicks finals record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back