Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one to look out for is 16 year old 7 foot tall Aussie, Isaac Humphries, is apparently being recruited by Kansas, Texas and Arizona. I believe he is going to the USA to play his final year before college too.

And here's his highlights against Dante Exum's team in the Australian High School championship game.

Last edited:
Isaac is part of the U17 Australian team about to start the World Champs. Will be interesting to see how he goes as it was the 2012 U17 Champs that really put Dante Exums name on the map, so if Isaac has a good tournament then there might be a bit more buzz around him, not only in Aus but in the US as well.

On that, best of luck to all those boys playing in UAE. Not expecting a silver medal like the last World Champs, but would be great to get another good result!

My brother is friends with Deng Adel and can tell you that he loves Australia and I reckon Thon would as well on the assumption that this great country has provided for them and their family.

Another incentive for them is to be a hero for Sudanese kids here who can look up to them since there's no one of African descent who has become an elite sportsman.

It'll be awesome for them to see that one of their own has made it to the big league and trust me once they see one make it, the African community will go nuts and many more good stories like Thon and Deng will be a common theme. I just hope our native aussies see them as one of our own.

Did Deng Adel play in the Keilor Basketball Association. I coached a kid named Deng briefly... am wondering if it's the same kid...

so in many ways you are the reason for his ascent.
No not at all lol.. he trained with us a couple of times but ended up on another team. We played against him and he didn't do too much. He was athletic but didn't seem to have a basketball brain or be that amazing (unlike Dante Exum who I also coached against)

But hearing Rick Pitino talk about Deng Adel, I'm thinking it's either another Deng or he just came on leaps and bounds...

In the realm of "this doesn't mean anything at all but let's over analyse every little detail anyway", Thon Maker has American flags on his sneakers at the Adidas Nations...

Australian Men’s Team 2014 FIBA U17 World Championships Fixtures

Australia v Japan
Friday 8 August @ Al-Shabab Arena 7:30pm (AEST)

Australia v France
Saturday 9 August @ Al-Ahli Arena 10:30pm (AEST)

Australia v Canada
Monday 11 August @ Al-Ahli Arena 10:30pm (AEST)

The group stage games and first knockout round will be streaming LIVE on the FIBA YouTube Channel (www.youtube.com/FIBA), with the quarter finals through to the Final on LiveBasketball.TV.

Another one to look out for is 16 year old 7 foot tall Aussie, Isaac Humphries, is apparently being recruited by Kansas, Texas and Arizona. I believe he is going to the USA to play his final year before college too.

And here's his highlights against Dante Exum's team in the Australian High School championship game.

He is playing right now vs Canada at the under 17 world champs has scored the first 8 points on 4 from 4, Canada has no answers.
Edit Australia has scored 12 points, Humphries 6/6 the rest of the team 0-2 lmao.
Edit make it our first 14 points. Score 14-9
Make that the first 16. 16-9
Up to 20 points with 7 minutes left in the second quarter on 9 of 11 shooting
Half time down 37-33...Humphries 9/12 rest of the team 3/23
3/4 time down by seven Humphries 32 points 15 rebounds, i don't even want to talk about the rest of the team.
Down by 9 Humphries up to 35 but the rest of the team has decided they want to shoot.
Wilson 5 points
Akintola 5 points
Vasiljevic 4 points
Clarke 4 points
Froling 3
Huge dunk by humprhies...He is a bad bad man lmao.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final statline for Humphries: 41 points (16/23FG), 19 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 30 minutes and 11 seconds.
What the hell was the rest of the team doing...Playing hero ball pass the 5$%$%ing thing to him. If the team had any idea he would have scored 60+.

Humphries 16/23 rest of the team 13/50, 1/19 from 3.

Last edited:
Another massive game from Humphries 20 points 16 rebounds on 8/14
He is averaging 8 offensive rebounds per game!
Best player on the court by a mile, they never passed the ball to him in the last 8 minutes of the game.They really do need to pass the ball to him a lot more if they want to medal.
He will win the player of the world champs easily

Vasiljevic was our worst player again, scored 13 points but he is a chucker and made terrible shot selections 4/14 again today and almost cost them the win playing heroball.

Wilson was much better today shot 4/8 from 2 point range, but 0/3 from 3 but he chose the correct shots to take all night
Scored 12 points

Clarke was brilliant early hit 4/4 from 2, 0/1 from three had 5 turnovers which was the only thing 10 points

Next up Puerto Rico

Last edited:
I said a couple of months ago in this thread that Basketball Australia rated Humphries the equal of Exum, Simmons, Maker etc as the best Aussie basketball prospect currently still in Australia, glad to see he's producing in an international tournament.

He was already a 5 star college prospect leading into the world championships. Meaning he's in the best 30 or so kids in the world for his age.

I'd say he's probably the best high school center prospect in the world now.

I said a couple of months ago in this thread that Basketball Australia rated Humphries the equal of Exum, Simmons, Maker etc as the best Aussie basketball prospect currently still in Australia, glad to see he's producing in an international tournament.

He was already a 5 star college prospect leading into the world championships. Meaning he's in the best 30 or so kids in the world for his age.

What's his athleticism like? Are we hopping for another Bogut type player?

He should be scoring 30+ Pg in this tournament, he destroyed the 216cm Greek centre, Espn had him #25 on the 2015 draft class.If we had Exum bringing up the ball he'd be averaging 35 our guards are not good.

His offensive rebounding is as elite as it gets, his first intention on defence is to look for the centre and move to him on defensive rebounds even if it takes himself out of the contest.He needs to just take Control of his area in the back court and trust he will grab it.
His ability to drive from the 3 point line to the basket and spin 360 past the d marker and dunk is something you don't see from players his size, and he does it with speed.

If Australia can make the finals and he can dump 20/10 on Diamond Stone he will go to the states as a top 3 prospect instantly. The Exum hype will be nothing compared to his.

Interview after the Canada game hangs it on the guards lol.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/FIBA-U17-World-Championship-Interview-Isaac-Humphries-4670

Last edited:

Oh man. I can't handle the amount of talent that is coming through Australia right now.

Australia plays Puerto Rico in the next round match up. They were pushed into overtime by Egypt in the round of 32 but didn't lose a group match, so could go either way.

If we win that then we'd go on to play one of Spain or France in the semi. Will both be tough matches, but we have the potential to win. Really want to see us go up against the US in a Final. They've got some quality players but like was mentioned above, the best thing would be seeing Isaac go up against Diamond Stone and Ivan Rabb who are probably to two highest rated American big men.

Holy s**t. He's 7'2...those moves/ shooting....**** me.

Gotta love the aggressiveness. Too many big man these days don't know how to use their size. Kid will be unstoppable when he puts on some kgs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back