Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or does Thon seem like a primadonna douche bag?
He may be, but if he pulls on a Boomers jersey one day, and produces the goods, I reckon most people will accept it.

Is it him though or his guardian that's making it seem that way? I dunno. I guess if you know you've got people/colleges/countries fawning over you, you're apt to act how you like, and to some degree you can name your price.

What would be the advantage of being a Canadian instead of an Australian in terms of your NBA career??

Ive followed him on youtube for more than a year. He has said on more than five occasions he is really keen to play for the boomers. Im pretty sure he would have to live in Canada for more than four years, which is unlikely if he is playing in the nab in two or three years. Being closer to America, while still having an outlet to get away from attention seems like a more likely reason for Canadian move if that is true. Everything about him says passionate Boomer to me.

Ive followed him on youtube for more than a year. He has said on more than five occasions he is really keen to play for the boomers. Im pretty sure he would have to live in Canada for more than four years, which is unlikely if he is playing in the nab in two or three years. Being closer to America, while still having an outlet to get away from attention seems like a more likely reason for Canadian move if that is true. Everything about him says passionate Boomer to me.
Let's hope so! We would have a pretty incredible team in 6-8 years if so.

The NBL may be up sh*t creek these days, but at least it's provided the future of Australian basketball

Maybe these future Aussie NBA superstars will give the NBLa bit of a popularity boost over the next 10 years

I expect he will. Seems like it's something to do with when he finished school here and started HS in the US. Hard to understand the archaic, and often truly mystifying, NCAA rules and regulations.

I expect he will. Seems like it's something to do with when he finished school here and started HS in the US. Hard to understand the archaic, and often truly mystifying, NCAA rules and regulations.

Yep. The O'bannon outcome was 20 years in the making (and NCAA are still appealling - so will have to wait and see) - but hopefully its the beginning of some widespread changes to the college system.
(I very much like the idea of players going through college before hitting the NBA, but there needs to be a much more transperent recruiting system, more encouragement/support of their actual learning, and less exploitation of these guys in contrast to the massive profits for schools and huge salaries for coaches).

Article suggests he still has his scholarship so no. Would expect he attends classes, as per any normal college student, and trains separately from the team (until allowed to rejoin them in training).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If all those overseas guys commit to playing at the World Champs it will be very interesting to see how we go against the USA. I think we could give it a pretty good shake. We would have a very good mix of skills that would be hard to stop.

Just need a star at the point to make it happen as all other positions look covered pretty well unless Dejan plays there but I'm not sure if he is more of a shooting guard.

660394-thon-maker.jpg

Cannot wait to see Maker play. This is the future of the Boomers

Can't wait to see more of him of over the next few years for Australia and in the NBA. Rare LEGIT handles to go with his size, potential off the charts

Agreed that I can't wait to see him play... but put me in the camp that is cynical about whether or not he ever puts on a Boomers jersey.
While I am also a little pessimistic about whether he will play they should be doing everything they can to involve him in the national program now. That means inviting him to both the u19 World Championships and definitely including him in the Olympic qualifying games and then as part of the squad for Rio even if he hasn't been drafted yet. Every kid wants to go to the Olympics and there is no way he gets to go that early with Team USA. Possibly Canada is a danger as he is playing there now but I would hope that he understands that with the team we will have in the coming years that his best chance of Olympic success is with us.
Basically get him in early even if it means just taking him along for experience and then we will have him playing for us for the next decade along with Ben, Dante and the other young stars that are coming through or already there like Patty and Delly.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basket...yer-in-the-world/story-fndkzqrr-1227122166249

FUTURE Aussie basketball star Ben Simmons has received a rapturous welcome since signing with Louisiana State University but it went next level on Friday when none other than Shaquille O’Neal gave him a shout out.

O’Neal is LSU’s most famous alumnus, playing for the Tigers from 1989-92, and he’s as excited as anyone about Simmons decision to join the school next year.

O’Neal posted a photo of Simmons on his Instagram account with the comment: “LSU just signed the best player in the world. Check him out.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basket...yer-in-the-world/story-fndkzqrr-1227122166249

Remove this Banner Ad

Back