Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think when TQ sees Ben make some big shots, he feels like needs to match. TQ played pretty out of control tonight. Doesn't help that he and Ben essentially play the same position. And Ben sits back and watches too much when TQ does go into hero mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overseas atm so missed his game. How did he perform? Seems like he wasn't aggresive enough from the comments?
He had 5 points and 4 assists at the half due to sitting out 10 minutes due to foul trouble. He dropped 15 points in the second half. Free throw misses and Quarterman having a howler cost them them the game.

I just can't see Simmons being the star he's supposed to be, he's just missing 'it' and not really dominating games. I think Aaron Gordon will be a better player than him.

I just can't see Simmons being the star he's supposed to be, he's just missing 'it' and not really dominating games. I think Aaron Gordon will be a better player than him.

I know Simmons is a great athlete, but unless he seriously develops his shooting beyond 12 feet, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets caught out as a bit of a no-position tweener at the next level, and only ends up being merely good, not great.

He's very Lamar Odom-esque in his game, attitude and potential. Will he actually grow and reach his immense ceiling, though?

I know Simmons is a great athlete, but unless he seriously develops his shooting beyond 12 feet, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets caught out as a bit of a no-position tweener at the next level, and only ends up being merely good, not great.

He's very Lamar Odom-esque in his game, attitude and potential. Will he actually grow and reach his immense ceiling, though?

He's still only 19 I think, maybe should have a second year at college.

He could easily average near 30 if he was aggressive. He'll get aggressive and then go into a lull as TQ tries to get his shots. TQ is a draft prospect so he's going to get his shots no matter what. Ben just needs to do a better job of getting the ball some when Tim goes into that mode.
On the tigerdroppings board, there are some rumblings that he and Ben don't see eye to eye

LSU actually have a decent roster... it's just that the guards don't mesh at all. Hornsby is good, he's a very nice spot of shooter and doesn't need to the ball to be effective. The other guards in Blankeney, Gray, Patterson and Quartermann (especially) are pretty much ball hogs and need to dominate the ball to be effective. Doesn't help that none of them can really playmake that well. They're trying to get Ben to post up but seriously, whats the point when none of the guards can get him the ball and make an entry pass properly. Ben should be handling the rock 100% of the time, instead down the stretch he barely touches it. They've lost so many games due to this.

Totally, it shits me that these guards need to grow up especially Gray and give the pill to Simmons. It amazes that on three or four offensive possessions Simmons doesn't touch the ball.

Against South Caroline, Simmons scores on three straight possessions and then the guards refuse to give him the ball.

The coach needs let Gray know if he refuses to give up the ball then he sits on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's still only 19 I think, maybe should have a second year at college.
That is one thing he doesn't need. His game isn't built for college. The nba provides more spacing allowing him to use his ball handling against mismatches and actual shooters who can take advantage of his passing.
Couldn't agree more.

He's a team oriented player in a team oriented system with guards who aren't. At NBA level that will help him, but the spacing and systems will allow his athletic prowess to shine. His weakness (or lack of) a jump shot becomes less of an issue as other defenders start to worry about their own players and don't sag off so much. I guess the flip side to that is his weakness on D will be more exposed.

Couldn't agree more.

He's a team oriented player in a team oriented system with guards who aren't. At NBA level that will help him, but the spacing and systems will allow his athletic prowess to shine. His weakness (or lack of) a jump shot becomes less of an issue as other defenders start to worry about their own players and don't sag off so much. d I guess the flip side to that is his weakness on D will be more expose.

Will be interesting to see what his D is like at the next level. At college level it hasn't been great but that is in part to taking plays off and playing in a zone. Hopefully he lands at the right team with the right coach to ensure that his forced to work on his defense and at least make it respectable if not good. Personally think Philly and Boston are the best options for him. Sixers have Brown and plenty of assets to get the right mix of talent around Simmons in order to get the best out of his game, while Boston also have assets plus are a good team already.

ruSimmions d inside isn't great due lack of strength but his outside d is pretty good. This close outs are first class and footwork is good enough to defend a 2 guard.

For me, he needs to develop his jump shot to keep defenders honest. In the NBA, he might be not strong enough to play the 4 and without a jump shot might struggle to play the 3.

While I disagree, I think Ingram will likely end up going 1st overall.

Far too early to say. At this stage Ingram is just the flavour of the month in terms of challenging Simmons for the number one pick. Previously Brown was going to go number one over him then it was clear Simmons was the better player, then Skal came along and was talked up as the next Anthony Davis (offensively) but once again Simmons proved he was by far the better player. Now it's Ingrams term and whilst he is a very good prospect he still hasn't had his game picked apart like Simmons has.

As much as people like to compare Ingram to KD that comparison is just as weak as the Simmons/Lebron one, given Durant was a superior scorer at college level and has a faster release on his shot and first step. Just like Lebron being the better athlete and his shot being more advanced than Simmons at the same age. While if you compare the criticism of Simmons throughout season, similar can be applied to Ingram, such as going missing down the stretch although personally I think both are victims of hungry guards that they play with.

Ultimately though I think Simmons has the advantage as if he can develop an outside shot then his game is complete and he is likely a top five player in the league. This also makes him a risk as his floor might not be as good as Ingrams, however isn't the whole point of the tanking is to try and get the best possible player, which with Simmons work ethic you take that gamble that he will over time develop his outside shot. Another advantage I see is Simmons might enable a team to find a new style of play that only they can play in the league, like Warriors three point shooting with Curry that no other team can emulate successfully over the course of a season. Although the counter argument to that is Ingrams suits the current way the NBA is heading but if the team with number one pick is willing to take a risk I don't see how Simmons isn't number 1.

The thing is, isn't the NBA all about flavor of the months? In my (albeit homerish) mind, I've no doubt Ben will be the better player but you can't doubt that some scouts will see Brandon hitting the 3 pretty efficiently, his athletism (I think Ben is the better athlete but some argue otherwise) his extra length and his lower age and think he has a chance at being a better pro.

On the other hand, maybe I'm getting to caught up in what some keyboard scouts say. It certainly irks me. I've also noticed multiple guys be placed ahead of Ben in some mocks over the last year or so. In a few mocks I've even seen Ben placed as low as 5th which is just crazy. I've never seen a number 1 prospect so over analyzed and critiqued like Ben before. You hardly see any of those criticisms with Brandon. Sometimes it even seems people out there just really dislike Ben. It's so weird

The thing is, isn't the NBA all about flavor of the months? In my (albeit homerish) mind, I've no doubt Ben will be the better player but you can't doubt that some scouts will see Brandon hitting the 3 pretty efficiently, his athletism (I think Ben is the better athlete but some argue otherwise) his extra length and his lower age and think he has a chance at being a better pro.

On the other hand, maybe I'm getting to caught up in what some keyboard scouts say. It certainly irks me. I've also noticed multiple guys be placed ahead of Ben in some mocks over the last year or so. In a few mocks I've even seen Ben placed as low as 5th which is just crazy. I've never seen a number 1 prospect so over analyzed and critiqued like Ben before. You hardly see any of those criticisms with Brandon. Sometimes it even seems people out there just really dislike Ben. It's so weird

Hard to read that and not think that its an Aussie bias overreaction to perfectly normal critiques (FYI I have Sixers bias). Which I get, and I think is fine, but all potential no.1 picks are highly analysed, and especially so when there's legitimate competition for the spot, and in this case Ingram is definitely Simmons` match. And there are plenty of reasons to be weary of Ingram - size (not more NBA ready than Ben), defensive lapses - today's game being a good indication of that.

Ben's shooting form is not great, and needs to be addressed, which is a legitimate thing to pause on Ben being a lock for 1. But even then, the most he'll drop is to 2. So I don't see the fuss of where he gets drafted.

Oh it's Aussie bias for sure. I sometimes wonder if I perhaps overrate Ben because of that but I'm smart enough to know Brandon is near him as a prospect and even is BI isn't quite as good, he might fit better with certain teams

Oh it's Aussie bias for sure. I sometimes wonder if I perhaps overrate Ben because of that but I'm smart enough to know Brandon is near him as a prospect and even is BI isn't quite as good, he might fit better with certain teams

Nobody will draft Ingram over Simmons.

With the Lakers needing a superstar after Kobe leaves.

The Celtics need a facilitator for all their 3 point shooters

And the 76ers need ball handlers more than a shooter.

And the main reason is if you pick Simmons and he doesn't turn out, you can give a million reasons why you chose him.

If you don't and he is the best all round talent since Le Bron, you will be mocked for eternity.
Even Magic said he was lol.

Nobody remembers Sam Bowie was a beast and injuries killed him.
But they still mock those that passed on MJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back