Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
While it's the off-season I thought it the perfect opportunity to right a wrong that is continually perpetuated in the footy world - mostly by Dwayne Russel, but there are others.

GWS stands for Greater Western Sydney. It is a region.
The Giants is the club's mascot/nickname

The club can be called Greater Western Sydney. They can be called GWS, The Giants, The Greater Western Sydney Giants, and The GWS Giants.

They must never, EVER, be called 'The GWS'. To do so is to reveal to the world you are an imbecile.

I'm noticing it more and more. "Can The GWS maintain this lead?", "There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The GWS", "The GWS lead in the shadows of half time" etc, etc. To illustrate how stupid this is, let us replace GWS with other teams in the previous examples:

"Can The Richmond maintain this lead?"
"There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The Adelaide"
"The St Kilda lead in the shadows of half time"

Let's nip this in the bud before it becomes too ingrained.

The offseason has gotten to you hasn't it?

This is the longest pre-season ever. When it's over I'll resemble Tom Hanks in Castaway.

article-2132249-0036819200000258-382_634x452.jpg

Last edited:
General gripes thread? I don't like Geelong being referred to as the "Geelong Cats" on game day. It's the Geelong Football Club and the Cats is the nickname. Other clubs are not referred that way on programs/record whatever.

I know this was a club decision, but I still don't like it.

They called GC 'the Gold Coast' which kind of makes sense because of what we call the area, but then they thoughtlessly did the same for GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like how it's said most of the time but it's not a start-a-thread-on-the-main-board-in-the-off-season sort of issue

True enough. I saw a thread on the main board about Boomer Harvey's height changing and thought the bar had been sufficiently lowered enough to squeeze this thread in.

Gerard Healy is the worst, but by no means the only. I just want to take a lump of 4x2 and slap them upside the head every time they say it.

They are basically called "GWS", no one calls then Greater Western Sydney. Ever.

Thery should have just been the Western Sydney Giants, then people would say it in full like "Western Sydney Wanderers".
Should have just been West Sydney Giants, GWS to say fully is a mouthful.

While it's the off-season I thought it the perfect opportunity to right a wrong that is continually perpetuated in the footy world - mostly by Dwayne Russel, but there are others.

GWS stands for Greater Western Sydney. It is a region.
The Giants is the club's mascot/nickname

The club can be called Greater Western Sydney. They can be called GWS, The Giants, The Greater Western Sydney Giants, and The GWS Giants.

They must never, EVER, be called 'The GWS'. To do so is to reveal to the world you are an imbecile.

I'm noticing it more and more. "Can The GWS maintain this lead?", "There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The GWS", "The GWS lead in the shadows of half time" etc, etc. To illustrate how stupid this is, let us replace GWS with other teams in the previous examples:

"Can The Richmond maintain this lead?"
"There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The Adelaide"
"The St Kilda lead in the shadows of half time"

Let's nip this in the bud before it becomes too ingrained.
Can't say I've heard anyone refer to the club as THE GWS

General gripes thread? I don't like Geelong being referred to as the "Geelong Cats" on game day. It's the Geelong Football Club and the Cats is the nickname. Other clubs are not referred that way on programs/record whatever.

I know this was a club decision, but I still don't like it.
Think it happens a lot for the capital city clubs. The:
Melbourne Demons,
Sydney Swans
Adelaide Crows
Brisbane Lions

I think it differentiates between talking about the city. So in some ways Geelong have bagged an upgrade!

But I get what you mean. When referencing Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon etc I'm more likely to use either the name or the nickname instead of both together.

But I get what you mean. When referencing Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon etc I'm more likely to use either the name or the nickname instead of both together.

I think it depends on how it rolls off the tongue and sounds too - you hear Carlton Blues more than you hear the others you've listed (but not as often as the City based ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back