'The' GWS.......knock it off

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you'd notice if the commentators started calling you 'The Geelong'.
Do you know how often I hear my club called SAINT Kilda (or even Saint Kidda) by comentators? It sounds ridiculous, but it happens and there's really little to be done about it.

I mean "West" Sydney as in "North" Melbourne. I still feel Western doesn't roll off the tongue as easily, maybe it's just me.

but where do you think the suburb/area of North Melbourne is in the Greater Melbourne Metropolitan? What was the area the club was representing when they were formed and are still currently based? same for South Melbourne prior to their move to Sydney?

Wether we win sat night or not will not effect the giants. Once again we olay in 2 totally different times. And theres no way the ffa have the balls to move the A-League to the winter.
The A-League season and AFL season might only overlap slightly, but the timing of the overlap isn't great for the AFL as it makes it hard to build momentum into the season as the A-League finishes mid-May, but at club level they do overlap. League is also a direct overlap and financially the NRL have never been in a better position and can compete with the AFL financially. Both codes also have the attraction of rep honours, the AFL has an exhibition match that 90% of AFL players & fans couldn't give a toss about.

The impact will be in the AFL actually being able to grow at grass roots level in Western Sydney, for this to happen they need to take youngsters away from the other codes and get them into an Aussie Rules local league. It also means that they need access to grounds, this is a major problem as league and football can share a pitch AFL can't do the same and takes up twice the space, something that is not particularly handy in newer suburbs where there was a chronic lack of planning in providing sporting grounds.

The A-League season and AFL season might only overlap slightly, but the timing of the overlap isn't great for the AFL as it makes it hard to build momentum into the season as the A-League finishes mid-May, but at club level they do overlap. League is also a direct overlap and financially the NRL have never been in a better position and can compete with the AFL financially. Both codes also have the attraction of rep honours, the AFL has an exhibition match that 90% of AFL players & fans couldn't give a toss about.

The impact will be in the AFL actually being able to grow at grass roots level in Western Sydney, for this to happen they need to take youngsters away from the other codes and get them into an Aussie Rules local league. It also means that they need access to grounds, this is a major problem as league and football can share a pitch AFL can't do the same and takes up twice the space, something that is not particularly handy in newer suburbs where there was a chronic lack of planning in providing sporting grounds.
Well with regards to grounds. More and more cricket grounds, which there are a few out here, have been converted to aussie rules use. We will see how powerful soccer is out here next year after the woefull season theyve had so far.
Personally i hope the aleague continues to take off. Just because its doing well isnt our death knell.
Nothing i hate worse than being told only 1 or 2 sports can survive here. We are the largest most populous region in the country.
We will get there. Of that i have no doubt.

Because the FFA owner the names Western Sydney Football Club and there is zero chance of the AFL being allowed to use it.

The AFL actually had the opportunity to use the name first. However, the club was set up by Melbournians who did their research on Wiki and using ABS stats identifiers rather than the local knowledge, and there are of names Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles in the league already.

After the Giants set up, the name 'Western Sydney' was still sitting on the shelf awaiting a professional sports team of the region to use it. And the Wanderers - through the consultation and vote of interested locals throughout the Western Sydney region - did. Afterall, it is what the region is called - not by an academic or a government stats gatherer, but by the citizens of the entire metropolitan.

Well with regards to grounds. More and more cricket grounds, which there are a few out here, have been converted to aussie rules use. We will see how powerful soccer is out here next year after the woefull season theyve had so far.
Personally i hope the aleague continues to take off. Just because its doing well isnt our death knell.
Nothing i hate worse than being told only 1 or 2 sports can survive here. We are the largest most populous region in the country.
We will get there. Of that i have no doubt.
It's not that the market can't support multiple sports, it is a question of how much it can support. Both the Sydney and SE Qld markets can comfortable support 1 AFL team with no need for AFL support, the burning question is can they support 2?

The AFL have stated they are in for the long haul and they will need to keep pumping tens of millions into both markets over the next decade to keep the 4 teams going, because in the current environment they can't survive on their own. What the sporting market will look like in 20 years time is anyone's guess. Just on 20 years ago the Swans were a basket case and the AFL had to provide written guarantees to creditor to stop them having an administrator appointed.

The AFL actually had the opportunity to use the name first. However, the club was set up by Melbournians who did their research on Wiki and using ABS stats identifiers rather than the local knowledge, and there are of names Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles in the league already.

After the Giants set up, the name 'Western Sydney' was still sitting on the shelf awaiting a professional sports team of the region to use it. And the Wanderers - through the consultation and vote of interested locals throughout the Western Sydney region - did. Afterall, it is what the region is called - not by an academic or a government stats gatherer, but by the citizens of the entire metropolitan.
Heard through an official with the Victorian Football Federation that some staff at the FFA where literally laughing when they went to set up the Wanderers and found out 'Western Sydney FC' had not been registered by the AFL.

It's not that the market can't support multiple sports, it is a question of how much it can support. Both the Sydney and SE Qld markets can comfortable support 1 AFL team with no need for AFL support, the burning question is can they support 2?

The AFL have stated they are in for the long haul and they will need to keep pumping tens of millions into both markets over the next decade to keep the 4 teams going, because in the current environment they can't survive on their own. What the sporting market will look like in 20 years time is anyone's guess. Just on 20 years ago the Swans were a basket case and the AFL had to provide written guarantees to creditor to stop them having an administrator appointed.
Hmmm looking at 2013 financial figures we received just over 10 mill. Which is less than some other clubs. Or are you meaning the money into grassroots? Which is still actually less than the traditional states get. Hell even in start up we got 20 mill which 10 mill was for upgrading the stadium.
Just a point western sydney only has 1 team. The way Sydney as a city is setup there is 2 distinct regions.

but where do you think the suburb/area of North Melbourne is in the Greater Melbourne Metropolitan? What was the area the club was representing when they were formed and are still currently based? same for South Melbourne prior to their move to Sydney?
Maybe in the distant past that might have made a difference, when clubs played in and trained in their suburbs and all their players were born there. The sport has moved on from it's suburban roots, Hawthorn plays in Richmond and trains in Mulgrave, yet they are still Hawthorn. I understand the desire to be seen as representative of the whole area, but would fans really abandon the club if it was called West Sydney instead of Greater Western Sydney? If so, there are more problems than a few extra letters, I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it's not actually intended to be pronounced in full like that.

I personally use the weaker 'S'nt' pronunciation but one of my more academically minded uncles chipped me about it once, saying it was incorrect.

I dunno, as far as I can work out both are common in England.

Last edited:
Heard through an official with the Victorian Football Federation that some staff at the FFA where literally laughing when they went to set up the Wanderers and found out 'Western Sydney FC' had not been registered by the AFL.
GWS are the 'Western Sydney Football Club' - that was registered years ago and that's the club's name. Greater Western Sydney Giants is to the Western Sydney Football Club as Western Bulldogs is to the Footscray Football Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back