Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last hour of play at Adelaide, 5 wickets fell for 9 runs between the end of the NSW innings and the early part of the SA innings. Given there are quality bowlers on both sides of the upcoming Australia v NZ series, the night sessions with the new pink ball are going to be very interesting...
Have to factor in the quality of the SA batting line-up, though...

Handscomb and Dean look in no trouble at the crease vs Queensland. 2/270 at tea break, Dean adding 53 to his overnight score to be 134*, Handscomb adding 70 to be 116*. Handscomb needs a big ton here, 150+.

What was the deal with NZ not coming back out in the tour match?
Pitch was rooted apparently. massive holes, so they just declared both innings and brushed their hands with it.

Fair enough too, they aren't getting any real batting practise on that road of a pitch.

I think there is a very good chance we'll lose the series to the Kiwis.
I reckon it'll happen. Boult and Southee will tear through our top order with ease.

I think the main thing that could thwart the Kiwis is the bouncy pitches. How well do their bats adapt.

Will need to attack Kane Williamson heavily. Much like the Pomy no.3 who played in a similar vein, they glue the innings together. The rest can bat around the nurdlers, whilst Taylor, McCullum, Anderson can attack.

It's unfortunate huh? Bloke swings it both ways at 140 clicks. Praying he can still become a 200+ test wicket bowler post injuries and redefined action
I'll never forget his test debut. He was electric. Not just that test either, his first couple against India too; he cut through Dravid, Tendulkar et al like a hot knife through butter.

His action does seem to have changed a bit since then.

Pattinson is the best pure cricketing talent in Australia IMO. He could well be the best bowling A/R in the world, averaging 26/27 with the bat and 24/25 with the pill while compiling over 1000 runs and taking 200+ wickets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Peter Handscomb talking up Finch's epic 290 n.o (on an absolute road) as evidence that he could do well in the longer form.

But disrespectful to the new boy Dean who hasn't even been dismissed yet at FC level.

Should have been talking up his own chances and the start young Dean has had this season.

And the final 11 has taken shape for both sides;

(Australia)
1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Voges
6. M.Marsh
7. Neville
8. Johnson
9. Starc
10. Hazelwood
11 Lyon

Not overly convinced on the line up. Think Achaeans will be better placed this time around to make a fist of international cricket. Not sure two dashers at the top will be great for us, especially with a shaky middle order (bar Smith). Neville still leaves a lot to be desired despite his clean record with the keeping gloves. The bowlers they have hit the nail on the head though. One mediocre/poor performancefromHazelwood andSiddle must surely come into calculations as that war horse bowler we all love to have.

(New Zealand)
1. Guptill
2 Latham
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. McCullum
6. Neesham
7. BJ Watling
8. Craig
9. Bracewell
10. Southee
11. Boult

Somewhat surprised at the experience they have in there batting line up. Think both Latham and Neesham may surprise given time at the crease whilst the big three of Williamson/Taylor and Mcacullum will show there power. For me, Martin Guptill holds the key for the kiwis. A 100 from him set them up nicely, a duck can quickly get them two down for not many more. Like the Bracewell selection as the third seamer for the Black Caps whilst the statistically looking Mark Craig a could cause some problems for the many attacking batsmen in the Australian line up.

159 signifies third highest opening partnership by an Australian pair at the 'Gabba, and fourth highest overall. 40th on the all time Australian list at all grounds. As I say this, Burns goes out.

As Australia go on their merry way, elsewhere Yasir Shah is getting it done again for Pakistan, with a little help from his slow-bowling friends. I believe that a series win against England will rank them at 2. Impressive for a team that doesn't actually get to play at home.

So... Stopher was closer than I was. Johnson got the credit from the ABC commentators for the Taylor wicket but for me it was Starc's previous over that got him cooked IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back