News The Hawthorn Allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm confused with this whole saga. On AFL 360 tonight, a statement said that two of the accusers "Zac" and "Bailey" aren't even indigenous. So who are these two people, and what are they accusing Hawthorn of doing to them, as l thought this was solely a report into the racism towards some of the past indigenous players and their famalies?
I don't know if it is true but there was rumours that one of the players was of maori decent. So indigenous australian no, indigenous NZ yes.

You could be totally innocent and be stressed out....at least I would. You must have supreme confidence in the system

Agree. I'd be horrified if I was accused of something like this. No matter what happens, the accusation is out there and there will always be people who believe it to be true.

I'm sure everyone involved in this situation is stressed out regardless of whether they are the accused, the accusers & many others.

The Process for making a complaint is here.
Involves 3 steps

1. Making the complaint.

2. Investigation:
We will contact you to talk about your complaint and we may ask you to provide more information.
Usually, we will contact the person who are complaining about and give them a copy of your complaint.
We may ask them to provide specific information or a response to the complaint. The information provided to the Commission in response to your complaint may include personal information (including sensitive information) about you.
In some cases, we may decide not to investigate or to stop investigating your complaint. If this happens, we will explain why.

3.Conciliation
Complaints to the Commission are resolved through a process known as conciliation.
Conciliation is a very successful way of resolving complaints. Feedback shows that most people find our process fair, informal and easy to understand. It also helps them to better understand the issues and come up with solutions that are appropriate to their circumstances.
Complaint outcomes can include an apology, reinstatement to a job, compensation for lost wages, changes to a policy or developing and promoting anti-discrimination policies.

Also:
If the complaint can’t be resolved through conciliation, you can apply to have the matter heard in the Federal Court of Australia or the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia. In certain circumstances, an application to the court must not be made by the complainant unless the court has granted leave to make the application.

Last edited:

I'm confused with this whole saga. On AFL 360 tonight, a statement said that two of the accusers "Zac" and "Bailey" aren't even indigenous. So who are these two people, and what are they accusing Hawthorn of doing to them, as l thought this was solely a report into the racism towards some of the past indigenous players and their famalies?
You don't need to be only Indigenous Australian to experience racism. I believe the report was into racism experienced at the club. Similar to HL at Collingwood.

The fact that it was reported and leaked by a dirty grub journalist from the ABC is enough to sum up the whole saga. People can say what they want about the AFL, myself included, but they are far from stupid. Should be interesting to see the findings of the HRC.
A “dirty grub journalist from the ABC” is certainly a description. Why so defensive?

The fact that it was reported and leaked by a dirty grub journalist from the ABC is enough to sum up the whole saga. People can say what they want about the AFL, myself included, but they are far from stupid. Should be interesting to see the findings of the HRC.
The journo didn't leak the report ..the report (or the allegations) were leaked (told) to the journo not long after it was handed to the AFL .

On a side note, as I understand it, there was no NDA, so the complainants could tell their story to any journalist if they wished.

Last edited:
You don't need to be only Indigenous Australian to experience racism. I believe the report was into racism experienced at the club. Similar to HL at Collingwood.

Yes l agree with that, but the way it's been described, the focus was on the treatment of the past indigenous players, and their famalies. I didn't realise it was the treatment of not only indigenous, but also non indigenous players.

Yes l agree with that, but the way it's been described, the focus was on the treatment of the past indigenous players, and their famalies. I didn't realise it was the treatment of not only indigenous, but also non indigenous players.
I guess all players during that time had the opportunity to share their own experience, but also what they saw or heard. If they believed their own treatment was racist, and they are Maori, for example, it couldn't be ignored purely because they weren't Indigenous Australian.

I guess all players during that time had the opportunity to share their own experience, but also what they saw or heard. If they believed their own treatment was racist, and they are Maori, for example, it couldn't be ignored purely because they weren't Indigenous Australian.

Definitely agree with that, and nor should any racism to anyone from any culture or background be tolerated

The journo didn't leak the report ..the report was leaked to the journo not long after it was handed to the AFL .

On a side note, as I understand it, there was no NDA, so the complainants could tell their story to a journalist if they wished.
A “dirty grub journalist from the ABC” is certainly a description. Why so defensive?
He is a grub, just like all the other journo's, or are we selective on which ones are and aren't. I reckon every journoe has at one time or another been called a grub on BF. Not sure where you are going but I would check my own thought patterns if I were you. You know what they say?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a grub, just like all the other journo's, or are we selective on which ones are and aren't. I reckon every journoe has at one time or another been called a grub on BF. Not sure where you are going but I would check my own thought patterns if I were you. You know what they say?
Not sure why you included my quote..

I was wondering if a 'certain person' was one of the accusers. The player I am thinking of would not have a great deal of credibility.

Why? Can those who have committed criminal acts not be racially abused?

Treading on dangerous ground naming players and suggesting past reputations are linked to made up accusations. Perhaps ask why the rap sheet?
I think everyone commenting in here is treading on dangerous ground as only a handful of people know the truth.

This has been handled very poorly by Hawthorn and the AFL.

What difference would that make? There is more than one accuser, and the stories from all are very similar.
Totally agree that there is more than one complainant. I don't even know who the accusers are, though someone here seems to know. The inquiry determined that the coaches have no case to answer anyway, so let's stop suggesting these people have been racially abused until some body of inquiry determines otherwise.

What difference would that make? There is more than one accuser, and the stories from all are very similar.
It actually can make a big difference.

You’ve got 3 individuals who have told there stories and now you’ve got 3 individuals who emphatically deny these claims. So who do you believe?

No one can be sure of the truth apart from those parties involved.

If the allegations against the 3 men are true then they have no place in AFL football and all would need to resign from there positions immediately, but if these allegations are in fact found out to be false as these 3 men are claiming then the 3 who have made the accusation should be held to account also.

It’s just a messy situation and I feel the AFL have handled this appallingly.

Totally agree that there is more than one complainant. I don't even know who the accusers are, though someone here seems to know. The inquiry determined that the coaches have no case to answer anyway, so let's stop suggesting these people have been racially abused until some body of inquiry determines otherwise.
Considering the accused were not even interviewed by the 'independent' AFL inquiry, I don't understand how any findings could be made, let alone 'no adverse' findings.

It really just looks like the AFL have wiped their hands of it, and it will now be taken to the HRC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back