The Hawthorn demise

Remove this Banner Ad

A few critical injuries and 2016 will kick off decline. But would not put money on it! Prediction to make top 4 but key injuries in finals will see them make way to the new, fitter, hungry and chick magnet team. Kinda like when you reach an age and you stand in a night club and you realise "those days" have past.

Yeah kind of like this.
Young guy does all the leg work woos the lass, gets her drinks all evening. Unfortunately goes too hard too early on the sauce.
Then when the moment presents the more experienced Lothario steps in takes the lady home & you know what happens from there! ;)

The older guys have been pretty durable for us. I would be surprised if they all went over the cliff at once. Hopefully with the younger guys stepping up we can continue to ease 2 into retirement each year for the next few years. And with free agency there's always the chance we can get as good as a direct replacement.

These things are difficult to predict on account of so many unpredictable variables. Even just one like whether or not the Burton pick works out could have huge ramifications a few years from now.
Indeed - they have been very durable with no discernible drop off. Hodge is an interesting case - he looked shot end of 2012 but has played great football last two years

A few critical injuries and 2016 will kick off decline. But would not put money on it! Prediction to make top 4 but key injuries in finals will see them make way to the new, fitter, hungry and chick magnet team. Kinda like when you reach an age and you stand in a night club and you realise "those days" have past.

I would normally agree but over the past two seasons the Hawks have had industries and have been able to overcome them, although with each year it will become harder, I think if Gibson goes down then they will be exposed in the back line, they seem to have plenty of depth across the middle and up forward.

Cats have been in decline for some time, but look what going out to FA and trading has done.....should have done it 3 years ago
Premature to say move has paid off. History shows you win flags on back of a core good young group recruited through national draft that is supplemented by top ups. Not the other way round. Still these are new times for the competition and it may work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was an extremely successful era for the club. My point is eventually it comes to an end. Though perhaps hawks will defy that

We had a LONG drought after 1991. As much caused by the quest to find a coach. If Clarko, Fagan and Wright hang around I see a much softer landing.

Its up to the other clubs to overtake us rather than hang around waiting for the fall.

Im not sure how many are up for it.

Coasters, Crows, Dogs, Cats are the obvious ones but only the Coasters are close at the moment.

Freo, Swans, Roos and Tigs arent r3ady or able to step up.

We had a LONG drought after 1991. As much caused by the quest to find a coach. If Clarko, Fagan and Wright hang around I see a much softer landing.

Its up to the other clubs to overtake us rather than hang around waiting for the fall.

Im not sure how many are up for it.

Coasters, Crows, Dogs, Cats are the obvious ones but only the Coasters are close at the moment.

Freo, Swans, Roos and Tigs arent r3ady or able to step up.
Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell are key. Highly skilled players with touch of mongrel and great leadership. You cant just assume you can replace that. In next 2 years they will either hit the wall or retire. And with that will be the inevitable fall.

Kinda like when you reach an age and you stand in a night club and you realise "those days" have past.

I see a story waiting to be told :D

Fail no 1
They were always clubs with smaller fan bases and not in the same premiership race.

Fail no 2
I love that at the height of their successes they have both been like a real club

Fail no 3
I'm not too sure, which is why I'm creating this thread.

Im not sure ive ever read a more troll worthy opening gambit. Bizarre to see how a reasionable question was approached with such arrogance, insecurity and blindness.

Your best work was when you outed your own club fur being a hive of pharmaceutical debauchery, that's more your patch.

Good question, the approach and landing was s**t

ATC: Go around! I repeat. Go around!

Obviously a large percentage of replies to this thread are going to be trolls, so I'm going to do my best not get caught on the bait and I'm hoping you can avoid it too.

I know Essendon fans are sposed to hate Hawthorn, however, I never got that or the North thing. They were always clubs with smaller fan bases and not in the same premiership race. Though Clarkson is getting Hawthorn up there with Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood and some great marketing initiatives have seen their membership base challenge the big 4, and hopefully will still be up there when they drop off on field.

So as I haven't had the hate I've really enjoyed the rivalry between Geelong and Hawthorn over the last 7-8 years and that both teams have generated success playing attractive footy. I love that at the height of their successes they have both been like a real club with lots of players developed at their clubs for their style. They have also had successful VFL teams. Hawthorns success in 2014 still stands out to me as one of the greatest of all time when you take into account losing Buddy and then the injuries they suffered that year, including Clarkson missing out.

They have topped up as they go in the last few years plugging gaps, but none could really be considered stars. I'd only say that Burgoyne was a star recruit, and that was a number of years ago now. However, consistently finishing so high they have not had access to great draft picks and they have lost a young up and commer this year in Anderson. Lewis, Burgoyne, Hodge and Mitchell don't have long to go. There is a demise coming, and end to this amazing era. I don't think it'll be this year, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they did slip back a few pegs this year.

How do you see the demise panning out? Will they lose a GF or prelim one year, slip down to making the numbers up in the top eight and then stay middle of the road like Geelong and Sydney have? Will they crash and burn like Saints did post Ross or Brisbane and Essendon did a decade ago?

I'm not too sure, which is why I'm creating this thread. Hawthorn views in particular would be interesting. Despite my ignorance on the list and what way the Hawks will go about rebuilding I get the feeling that they won't drop off for a complete rebuild and Clarkson would prefer to keep developing players for his game plan. I also get the feeling that he'll start letting guys like Smith, for example, go after the drop off and trade them for overs as "Premiership players" for a few years, which allow the club to have three picks inside thirty for a few years.
You don't want to troll but then start trolling clubs for having smaller fan bases as if it's a bad thing. When you win a flag with a smaller fan base the flag is more special as it is more yours then a bombers, pies or tigers flag could ever be for there fans.

Premature to say move has paid off. History shows you win flags on back of a core good young group recruited through national draft that is supplemented by top ups. Not the other way round. Still these are new times for the competition and it may work.
Hawthorn won flags because they traded for their weaknesses. Defence and ruck. Brought in Gibson, Lake and Frawley in defence and Hale and McEvoy in Ruck. Otherwise they would of been a 5 to 8 team.

Indeed - they have been very durable with no discernible drop off. Hodge is an interesting case - he looked shot end of 2012 but has played great football last two years
Hodge is an interesting one. I think 2012 was a bit of a reality check regarding his footballing mortality. That and the desire to avenge the GF loss has seen him return each preseason the last few years in the best physical condition of his career. But of course the decline is inevitable at some point. I think he'll give it up before he's "shot". End of 2016 or 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back