Toast The humble pie thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s midday on a Sunday in Australia. Crazy notion perhaps, but I think there may be a few people enjoying their weekend, shopping, hanging out washing etc at the moment, as opposed to hanging over an Internet forum waiting for the opportunity to confess something.

Yet here you are.

Yet here you are.
I said ‘a few people’. I said nothing about sad morons hunched over replays with the curtains closed. We’re all in here.

Always thought Watts filled an important hole for us, especially when he was in form. It was my understanding he needed extra attention from the coaches to keep his competitiveness high, but if the coaches did their job he was a gun. My opinion at the time was trading him was a huge mistake and he would be an important kog in Port's gameplan.

vandenBerg more skilled than I remembered. Also didn't realise Frost could be so decent in the air. Always rated his offensive ability, but his defensive accountability now makes him a legit player

Harmes I've always gone back and forth on so IDK if it's humble pie so much as an incredibly proud dad moment where he was previously my least favourite child. And yeah Lewis has been v solid.

Answer: Yes I do. I am willing to acknowledge the value of important attributes he has displayed over the last 3 extremely big matches.

Interesting, if you watch him at the game has he always in the right spot so it's not a suprise he does well in a final

I definitely thought Lewis’ was cooked at some stage in the second half of the year but his level head is crucial and he still puts himself in Harmes way in the D50 hole.

Jonesy’s predictable bombing long inside 50 made me think his decision making was shot.

Hated Melksham, thought he was a complete dud and that our deal was way too expensive/long

Then saw him playing in the NAB cup on a HBF, dallying around turning the ball over and getting caught HTB, pretty much wrote him off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wrote Jetta off, but I'm slow to change my mind so if he has 10 x All Australian years in a row, I'll admit I was wrong.

You're all going way too early on Milkshakes. He will only disappoint you.

I'll also admit I was wrong about Watts. I thought he'd have a good year this year because he'd finally have the motivation he needed to go with the talent we've all seen, but he sustained it into round 1. That was it. Shame we didn't do it sooner, in hindsight.

Melksham, was furious when he came across, what a pickup.

Omac, resented him when we continued to pick him over Dunn, but in hindsight it was the right call. it's paying off now.

Goody, ill put my hand up, i just about wanted him gone earlier this year, but the players clearly love him and the gameplan stacks up.

I wrote Jetta off, but I'm slow to change my mind so if he has 10 x All Australian years in a row, I'll admit I was wrong.

You're all going way too early on Milkshakes. He will only disappoint you.

I'll also admit I was wrong about Watts. I thought he'd have a good year this year because he'd finally have the motivation he needed to go with the talent we've all seen, but he sustained it into round 1. That was it. Shame we didn't do it sooner, in hindsight.

Fair call, I thought watts was gonna kick 35-40 with a new motivation and then suck next season but he was so much worse than that.

I think the worst one i did was really backing in Ben Kennedy. Had a pies mate who didn't want to lose him, i rolled around with the sig "I think Ben Kennedy will surprise everyone" after saying it the day we got him. Tried to defend Lumumba who was already showing crazy signs but hadn't quite gone off the deep end.

Other than that, i don't really neg much on players except for one. My probably more is probably believing in players that have got the arse in recent times

I think the worst one i did was really backing in Ben Kennedy. Had a pies mate who didn't want to lose him, i rolled around with the sig "I think Ben Kennedy will surprise everyone" after saying it the day we got him. Tried to defend Lumumba who was already showing crazy signs but hadn't quite gone off the deep end.

Other than that, i don't really neg much on players except for one. My probably more is probably believing in players that have got the arse in recent times
I backed BenKen but then I found out he lied to the coaches and realised he was stuffed

There were plenty of Chris Dawes lovers on this board, time for them to fess up!

I confess I joined BigFooty to rage about us signing that campaigner. So filthy.

Edit:
Picks #20 and #45 to get Chris Dawes pick #58
Going to admit to a fair amount of bias here as I think Chris Dawes is a complete muppet. If you need a big unit with poor hands, terrible judgment, jittery kicking and brittle confidence, then sure, give up a 1st round draft pick for him. He struggled badly last year with Swan, Pendlebury, Beams, Sidebottom, etc feeding the ball into the 50, so how well is he going to do with Mitch Clark jumping on his back with a quarter of the opportunities he was getting at the Pies? Collingwood signed a 29 year old Quinten Lynch to play his role, so why did we give up so much to get him? Gutted with this deal.

Last edited:
Looking back on that hideous period for the club, i can't believe how good Mitch Clark was and how bad Dawes was. Wasn't excited by either signing at the time but Clark was amazing for a season to a season and half for us. Dawes came as advertised, useless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back