Certified Legendary Thread The 'I've Got an Easton Wood' Appreciation Society.

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved his game last night. Very unlucky to get injured, hope he keeps that memory from last night and takes the game on more often, and he will become the player we thought he would be :thumbsu:

This boy has some serious talent, you don't lose talent only confidence.

My otheer Pin up boy Higgo is beginning to show a bit again as well. Just hope he regains the form where he made Milburn look second rate and other stellar performances ala Hawks thrashing on a Friday night.

Cheers
Stephen

Great game from Wood, if he wasn't injuried, i reckon we could have won the game.

Also, i ment Wood's aunty, she works at my work, she told me he has a bit of a hip problem with the hamstring injurie he got.

I was loving his game the other night. He seems to have re-found his self belief. While he is out of action I hope we find someone else to fill that role in our defence [ Howard perhaps]. Now he has added an edge to his game I would love to see him move up to the 'wing', and take that with him. Adding his run into our midfield area along with Griff., Dal., Shermo. and Tutt hopefully, boy we really could get a bit of pace and drive back into our midfield, and make us less predictable and pedestrian going into our forward half.

And here lies the problem with our club.

Easton Wood at his best has the ability (strong runner, strong at the contest, long kick etc.) to be a stand out player. Comparing this to Addison who is a goer at best.

Do we tap into this ability? Do we throw down the challenge to him this year to become an “A grade midfielder”.

No, he coasts along in the back pocket/flank and fires up against Collingwood. We continue to progress with Cross in the midfield.

The game has changed bulldogs!!!! Wake up, Boyd and Cross 100% in the middle week in week out is not going to work. They get burned from the contest. Most goals against from stoppages. Dropping in for cheap kicks across the half back line does not cut it.

I’m not saying get rid of these players, yet the workload should be shared. Cross can play half back at times and Wood thrown into the middle. Dalhaus can be put into the middle more. Tutt once back into the side.

Been saying this since last year, we need to tap into and develop the players who clearly have the ability to be top players. Relying on the past performance on players gets you nowhere. Vision is need to look into the future direction of the club and its needs to start now!

London. We both have a very similar feeling on where the dogs are at and where we are simply wrong in our thinking.

I do agree that Boyd, Cross, and even Cooney in the MF is bad. And you are right - our stoppages are pathetic.

But we are in transition. It is a really difficult task to ask young players to jump in the middle and play the majority of time there and be competitive. In Coons first 2 to 3 years we had him in the forward line for 40 to 60% of game time. Even Rhode knew that he would play mid for most of his career however he had to develop the tank.

Dahl is a case in point here. He will play good mid time throughout his career IMO, but he is not ready to play there too much ATM.

Cross is very slow, but he gets the pill and generally uses it well. We have no replacement for that at the moment.

If we believe that Macca is the right man, then we need to trust that he is trying to develop the right MF and that mid term - Cross is retired, Boyd spends no more than 50% of time there and Griff, Dahl, Wood, Liber, Walli and co get to be pivotal in the whole MF structure and that there is enough talent to make this MF as strong as we have always come to expect from the Dogs.

It takes more than legspeed to play midfield. Just because a player goes OK on a flank doesnt mean they are midfield material.

Take Murph - hes an elite half back but for whatever reason he didnt come up to scratch when played in the midfield.

Wood isnt anywhere near Murphs league at the moment and there is nothing to say he would be any good in the midfield and its kind of silly to suggest that the coaches are so dumb they would overlook anyone with midfield potential.

What wood has to do is attack the game like he did against the pies - on a consistant basis. His speed and acceleration for a medium sized player is elite and should be using that to break lines at every opportunity.

The ability to break lines coming out of defence shouldnt be underestimated. Cross has zero ability to do that and playing someone with his pace in defence would be a disaster.

Stefoid, its all about development. Do we develop players as good as other clubs. Maybe not on current form.

Many players start off in other positions and then develop into a midfield role.

You must agree we are crying out for a crash and bang type in the middle, like Hahn used to do early in his career and on occasions.

When West Coast on-ballers got on top of us through sheer strength and leg speed I looked at my Dad and said that what we need to do. Wood is the best candiate we have.

We are not going to make the 8. Dont you want to challenge so of our youngsters to show us what they are capable of or do you prefer to see Cross run aroung, good worker but limited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would assume he will be sub today ease him back into it

Once he develops a little more game awareness (which should come in time) he will be more than handy. Amazing leap on him for his size.

Took him a while to get going this season, but he was back into the flow of things quite quickly. His break seems to have hardened him up as well. Nice work Clint!

Re-Bump. Earned it
After some questionable early games where he was unfortunately undersized, now showing the potential delivery which was near faultless last night.
Was in and out of watching the game and playing tetris because 3Q Beyond wasn't much of a spectacle, but boy did he take 2 pinnacle defense marks. The one where he left his man to take it on the ground with traffic coming from side/behind typified it. Great showing on another pinching defeat

I didnt think Wood was going to offer any value this year but I'm ok to eat humble pie on that. Without Wood, we'd be in further disarray on the backline and he is starting to show consistent form

I must admit, I'd written off Wood. He has been treading water for a while now after showing some real potential early. His courage, running back into packs, poise and disposal has improved exponentially.

And the timing couldn't be better, Young has tapered off, Goodes sadly seems to be a one year wonder, Talia (and to an extent JJ) is well and truly in 2nd year blues and Roughy's injury (plus Morris' recent injury) has been devastating to our backline.

Keep it up Woody, you've won me back!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back