Toast The Jeremy McGovern love thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I want him kicking bags, I agree. You get more goals from intercept possessions in the back half that allow you to slingshot it back than you do contested marks in the forward line.
That's a really good point.

With Mackenzie, Brown and Schofield though I'm sure Simmo will be tempted to play him forward. It seems like a waste if he can be as good at FF as he is down back. The question for me is whether he has the "goal sense" and instinct to be a match-winning forward.

That's a really good point.

With Mackenzie, Brown and Schofield though I'm sure Simmo will be tempted to play him forward. It seems like a waste if he can be as good at FF as he is down back. The question for me is whether he has the "goal sense" and instinct to be a match-winning forward.
Yeah Schofield is the interesting one. I'm happy to have Gov drifting forward and back when needed though, will be even better as a third tall with EMac locking up the opposition forwards. Then swing him forward to take a few grabs down there when we're on a bit of a roll.

He will have to find a primary position though, I think it's most likely in the backline but I still would love to see him given a run at FF for a month or two (unfortunately not this season).

The real Mitch giving the sneaky thumbs down there
Nice. Looks like hes trying to look like shuey too. Same height as mclov too so imagine we had a 7ft 3 luke shuey - the crows are one lucky team

Yeah Schofield is the interesting one. I'm happy to have Gov drifting forward and back when needed though, will be even better as a third tall with EMac locking up the opposition forwards. Then swing him forward to take a few grabs down there when we're on a bit of a roll.

With both EMac and Brown coming off ACLs it might take a while before both are consistently in the side at the same time. Even then, Schofield or Brown might also be able to play forward in spurts to give McGovern time at both ends.

Schofield might be able to move back to more of a running role after this season as well. I do think the responsibility of playing as a key defender is rounding him out a lot though and we'll benefit from his increased flexibility.

With both EMac and Brown coming off ACLs it might take a while before both are consistently in the side at the same time. Even then, Schofield or Brown might also be able to play forward in spurts to give McGovern time at both ends.

Schofield might be able to move back to more of a running role after this season as well. I do think the responsibility of playing as a key defender is rounding him out a lot though and we'll benefit from his increased flexibility.

I said it elsewhere, Schofields run and carry is over rated. Kicking skills aren't great and can try and do too much and run himself into trouble.

I said it elsewhere, Schofields run and carry is over rated. Kicking skills aren't great and can try and do too much and run himself into trouble.
Schoey has shown he is a more than capable key defender. Have been very impressed with him this year. I feel much safer with him over brown. Our running defenders have also shown they can do the job and get us beating a good team away. if will had to go back to that role I think he would go back in the pecking order.

BqV7Do9.gif

dUqyrSA.gif

That was a massive hit. If only more of our players would take the opportunity to fairly line someone up.

Just posted this in the positives/negatives thread, but didn't see there was actually a love thread for the big unit! So thought I'd share.

Having been Jez's roommate for 4 years while he pushed through the rookie system and kept at it, I am so proud of the lad. He is one of the most humble, decent blokes you will ever meet and to see him shine as a result of being given a chance is just awesome. Kid worked real hard, had some slip-ups along the way but ultimately stuck to the task and is reaping the rewards now. Hope he continues with it and pushes for All Australian.

He is more needed down back then up front even if we had Emac back. As people have said when he takes those intercept marks it ussually always ends up getting us a goal with slingshot footy. With the way Schoey has been playing it might be hard for Brown to get a gig in the team as i wouldn't play him along side Emac, Schoey and Mcogvern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BqV7Do9.gif

dUqyrSA.gif

That was a massive hit. If only more of our players would take the opportunity to fairly line someone up.

Love the way he uses his body to take players out. The way he shifted his legs into the path of Gray there was great. Also the contested ball he picked up lowered his head and dived as hard as possible at Krakouers body later in the game.

If he can't get the ball cleanly he always "falls over" onto the opposition players at the contest so they can't get clean ball either. Very Glassy like that ability.

Totes jelly.

Would almost consider him the most valuable player in the comp right now, he's the main reason you're sitting 2nd atm.

We call dibs on his brother when he comes back to Perth as well!

Last edited:
18-24 months ago the kid got sent away for showing up to preseason unfit... what a turn around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back