Analysis The last five games and the quest for top four/top two

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not. They all look like enormously tough games to me. One at a time, and hopefully they can turn up and play well against North for starters.
That's the key. They have to build form. Starting this week. And hopefully improve every week. It's the only way they can snatch the flag.

'Extremely unlikely to beat North'? Please. If the Roos beat us, good for them, but they are currently getting about $2.40-2.50 for the win (i.e. Geelong is a clear favourite for that game). The Roos have just dropped a must-win game against Carlton, they have bigger injury concerns than us, they're not in better form, they're not going to have a more talented team on the park, we comfortably accounted for them earlier in the year (when we were significantly weaker than we are now and North will not be significantly stronger than it was then) and we have far more to play for. So why would it be extremely unlikely for us to expect and demand a win there? It's no gimme, but I'd love to know some reasons why we will probably lose this one, that go beyond, 'they were crap in their previous game, so they'll be awesome this week' and 'Geelong never plays well in its clash guernsey'.

I agree with your general analysis, MC Extra Dollop.

I don't have a reason why we will probably lose this one. But I have several reasons why we could quite easily drop it.

1. Despite the fact we beat them quite comfortably earlier in the season (on our home ground), they played very ordinary footy that night. In my view, it would be very surprising if they were that poor again.

2. More than any other team in the league, North's performances seem to bear no resemblance to a 'form line' whatsoever. This team has spent its last month interspersing two poor losses against non-contenders with a predictable win against an also-ran, as well as a game where they comfortably polished off one of the top two flag fancies. How you would suggest they are 'in' or 'out of' form off the back of their recent record eludes me.

3. The game is at their favourite venue. And our recent history against them there suggests they'll enjoy the opportunity to take us on at that particular location. Of the past three meetings at Etihad, they've won two and saw us pinch the other one after they absolutely slaughtered us for almost the entire first half. Without Stoker's intervention as our sub, we would have lost that one comfortably as well.

I could go on about how our tactics never seem to try to deal with the 'Harvey' factor (his last three outings against us have yielded 33, 37 and 38 possessions respectively) or how we have made an art form of waxing and waning in our effort through games thia year (thereby giving every level of opposition an excellent chance to get back in the contest) but I'm probably only reinforcing my own fears about this particular game.

You're right about it being no 'gimme', that's for sure.

I'd call it 55/45 our way.

Switch on, Catters.:thumbsu:

I agree with your general analysis, MC Extra Dollop.

I don't have a reason why we will probably lose this one. But I have several reasons why we could quite easily drop it.

1. Despite the fact we beat them quite comfortably earlier in the season (on our home ground), they played very ordinary footy that night. In my view, it would be very surprising if they were that poor again.

Possibly. I'd argue that having (presumably) Stringer, Sheringham, Bews and one of Simpson/McIntosh out of that side, to be replaced by Johnson, Caddy, Christensen and Kersten will also make us significantly stronger than we were then.

2. More than any other team in the league, North's performances seem to bear no resemblance to a 'form line' whatsoever. This team has spent its last month interspersing two poor losses against non-contenders with a predictable win against an also-ran, as well as a game where they comfortably polished off one of the top two flag fancies. How you would suggest they are 'in' or 'out of' form off the back of their recent record eludes me.

You said it: North has no form. It is a week-to-week proposition. Geelong, whether it has been playing champagne football or not, has won four in a row and six of the last seven.

3. The game is at their favourite venue. And our recent history against them there suggests they'll enjoy the opportunity to take us on at that particular location. Of the past three meetings at Etihad, they've won two and saw us pinch the other one after they absolutely slaughtered us for almost the entire first half. Without Stoker's intervention as our sub, we would have lost that one comfortably as well.

North has also been thrashed at Etihad by Essendon and Gold Coast and just been beaten convincingly there by Carlton. North's record there in 2014 is 5-3, which is hardly incredible.

I could go on about how our tactics never seem to try to deal with the 'Harvey' factor (his last three outings against us have yielded 33, 37 and 38 possessions respectively) or how we have made an art form of waxing and waning in our effort through games thia year (thereby giving every level of opposition an excellent chance to get back in the contest) but I'm probably only reinforcing my own fears about this particular game.

Don't think Guthrie's ever been tried on Harvey and on current form (and considering Dal Santo generally roams across half back these days), I would be staggered if Chris Scott doesn't make that call. And I'd back Guthrie in to do a good job, as he has the combination of size, strength and physicality required. It may not have happened against us recently, but over the years, Harvey has proven himself to be very taggable and has occasionally been driven to distraction by tight checking.

You're right about it being no 'gimme', that's for sure.

I'd call it 55/45 our way.

Switch on, Catters.:thumbsu:

There can be no excuses for Geelong not to be for this one, with so much to play for (more than North Melbourne, which now only has a remote chance for top four, even if it wins all five of its remaining games). Win and we're still on track for top two and one step closer to being locked in for top four. Lose and we are probably even money to drop out of the top four by the end of the round. So, if they're not 'up' for this one and drop the game, I think all excuses have been done and it's probably a sign that Geelong is just making up the numbers this year. But I'd have it more like 70-30.

You said it: North has no form. It is a week-to-week proposition. Geelong, whether it has been playing champagne football or not, has won four in a row and six of the last seven.

Doesn't even take a week. They followed an embarrasing capitulation to the Lions with a rousing win over the 'premiership-bound' Hawks. All within six days. That has to have you somewhat wary of what they might dish up this weekend.

North has also been thrashed at Etihad by Essendon and Gold Coast and just been beaten convincingly there by Carlton. North's record there in 2014 is 5-3, which is hardly incredible.

It's only their recent record at the venue against us that I'm interested in. That's the only element that could play a role for them ahead of this game. They would fancy their chances of playing well against us at the venue (based on recent performances).

Don't think Guthrie's ever been tried on Harvey and on current form (and considering Dal Santo generally roams across half back these days), I would be staggered if Chris Scott doesn't make that call. And I'd back Guthrie in to do a good job, as he has the combination of size, strength and physicality required. It may not have happened against us recently, but over the years, Harvey has proven himself to be very taggable and has occasionally been driven to distraction by tight checking.

Seems like a no-brainer to try Guthrie on Harvey. Even more so given the absence of Wells from their line-up. Just hope the MC see it the same way.

There can be no excuses for Geelong not to be for this one, with so much to play for (more than North Melbourne, which now only has a remote chance for top four, even if it wins all five of its remaining games). Win and we're still on track for top two and one step closer to being locked in for top four. Lose and we are probably even money to drop out of the top four by the end of the round. So, if they're not 'up' for this one and drop the game, I think all excuses have been done and it's probably a sign that Geelong is just making up the numbers this year. But I'd have it more like 70-30.

There will be no excuses. A loss here would confirm that we're toast for 2014.

And I admire your 70/30. But it still seems like 55/45 to me.

They were just as poor if not worse against Carlton. I still don't know why every poor performance by North is excused (and there are a lot of them), but only their good performances are the "real" North.

Not quite. If you watch the replay, Geelong's comeback was well and truly underway by the time Stokes came on. In the grand tradition of oversimplification, it's easier to think Stokes' sub inclusion swung the match, but it actually didn't. No doubt at all he contributed in a huge fashion, but he wasn't the only reason. It was also that collectively they pulled their finger out and played better.

They were just as poor if not worse against Carlton. I still don't know why every poor performance by North is excused (and there are a lot of them), but only their good performances are the "real" North.

Actually could not care less what is or isn't the 'real' North. If the North that can play turns up on Saturday night we need to be ready.

In the grand tradition of oversimplification, it's easier to think Stokes' sub inclusion swung the match, but it actually didn't. No doubt at all he contributed in a huge fashion, but he wasn't the only reason. It was also that collectively they pulled their finger out and played better.

Fair enough. We were climbing back into it. But would we have won without his contribution?

I don't think we would have got within three goals.

Undoubtedly one of the best performances by a sub in the history of the rule. And certainly the biggest game-changer we've ever unleashed since the birth of the system.

I'd like to point to the LID!

:)

Seriously, we do need to be switched on. I don't know what it is against Norf, we seem to let their runners get out and run into space.

From memory, didn't wells kill us last year, with Harvey just finishing off his close in work?

I agree that Harvey needs attention, but that need to send Guthrie to him may not be required. Firstly, I know Guthrie is not slow, but would be outpaced against Harvey.

I'd rather Bews get a job on Harvey.

The primary objective was well and truly achieved this round, with a comprehensive win against a September-bound opponent, one of our most impressive displays of the year, in what was, on paper, our second most critical game of the last five. Unfortunately, Carlton was unable to hang on against Fremantle, although Port Adelaide's loss to Collingwood means we are very close to booking our place in a Qualifying Final. Part of me would have liked Port Adelaide to get up though, because even though it would be a long shot, winning our remaining games, finishing on top and getting a home Qualifying Final against Port looks like a pretty good deal right now. With wins to Hawthorn and Sydney, it looks like if Port does hit form and force its way into the top four, it will be at Fremantle's expense.

On paper, Hawthorn has an easy game this week, against Melbourne, while the other top five teams play each other. Port hosts Sydney at the same time as our game against Fremantle and the better result for us probably depends on how our game is going. If we're winning, it would be ideal for Port to get up, but if we lose, the better result may be for Sydney to win, to keep Port at arm's length from our spot and to continue pushing Hawthorn for top spot, to give us a better chance of staying in Melbourne for the first week of finals by finishing third.

This is our most important game of the season and if we win and Sydney also wins, we are almost certain to finish third or higher. If we win and Port Adelaide wins as well, we will, in all likelihood, be second on the ladder at the end of the round, behind Hawthorn (who has Fremantle away, us and Collingwood in its remaining three matches) and ahead of Sydney (St Kilda, Bulldogs away and Richmond). Top spot is ours for the taking from there: win all three games and we claim the minor premiership. And regardless of what Sydney does in its remaining games, if we win all four of ours, we finish no lower than second.

Last edited:
For me all we have to do is beat Fremantle and it's a guarantee against Hawthorn at the G.

If Sydney wins all its remaining games (as it would probably be expected to, though I think Port might have a fair crack this week) and we don't lose to Carlton or Brisbane, that looks likely. The only way that doesn't happen is if we go 3-1 here, with Hawthorn winning all its remaining games, as well as Sydney, which would see them both finish 18-4 and us on 17-5. Hawthorn would probably be expected to drop at least one of its games against Fremantle and us.

Last edited:
If Sydney wins all its remaining games (as it would probably be expected to, though I think Port might have a fair crack this week) and we don't lose to Carlton or Brisbane, that looks likely. The only way that doesn't happen is if we go 3-1 here, with Hawthorn winning all its remaining games, as well as Sydney, which would see them both finish 18-4 and us on 17-5.
But like you said if we get 3-1 but also beat Freo we would still be a win above them and be placed 3rd and face the Hawkers at the G? I think it's much more important that we beat Hawthorn than Freo but I have a very strong feeling we will win both which is a great feeling because usually I feel the opposite. Maybe I'm just on a high after beating North?

I also can't see Port Adelaide beating Sydney without their two key defenders (if they aren't already back?) I could honestly see Port lose all their remaining games but Carlton and Gold Coast are danger games for them for me. Matter of fact I think I might be going with a friend of mine to the Port v Carlton game will be good to suss Port out first-hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But like you said if we get 3-1 but also beat Freo we would still be a win above them and be placed 3rd and face the Hawkers at the G?

Not necessarily. If Hawthorn and Sydney both go undefeated, it comes down to percentage between them, with Hawthorn currently having the advantage, though that is offset by Sydney having some much easier games, on paper, to finish the season. If they both go 4-0, it's really a coin toss as to which of them finishes top and hence, who our opponent would be in the first week, assuming we finish third.

I think it's much more important that we beat Hawthorn than Freo but I have a very strong feeling we will win both which is a great feeling because usually I feel the opposite. Maybe I'm just on a high after beating North?

Disagree. All other things being equal, I think it's more important to bank the wins early now and stay ahead of the teams below us, instead of falling behind again and playing catch-up. Then as the season gets closer to its climax, we have a better understanding of exactly what is required from every game. Plus, if we do lose to Fremantle, the Dockers go ahead of us. If we beat them, it's going to be extremely hard for Fremantle to catch us, from two games back.

Hawthorn being above us on the ladder is not necessarily a big deal (because of the likely 2 v 3 match-up), but I can't see any way that Fremantle being ahead of us would be a good thing, unless we're going for a 'finish fourth and hope Hawthorn finishes first' kind of game, which isn't something that I'd be in favour of.

I also can't see Port Adelaide beating Sydney without their two key defenders (if they aren't already back?) I could honestly see Port lose all their remaining games but Carlton and Gold Coast are danger games for them for me. Matter of fact I think I might be going with a friend of mine to the Port v Carlton game will be good to suss Port out first-hand.

Carlile played today and Trengove could be a 'test' this week. Just got a feeling that Sydney could go in a bit complacent and Port will throw everything at the Swans, because if the Power drops this one, the chances for top four from there become pretty remote.

Things are building, a win against Freo and the media will no doubt warm to us.
Top four looks pretty certain and a chance of being minor premiers if we beat Freo and Hawthorn.
Really? Wouldn't that be something?
The 'media', over the past 5 years, has been totally committed to the series of headlines predicting the natural decline of the 'once great' Geelong footy club. These headlines suit the traditional pattern of a successful premiership AFL club (particularly a non-Melbourne club) naturally declining to a decade of bottom 8 finishes while attempting to rebuild. Geelong hasn't followed that pattern and the scribes are confused and disappointed. Until we face off in the 2014 grannie, there will be no 'media warming'. Geelong are equal first at the turn of the 2014 home straight but that is not part of the expected script. It should be a good news story but unsurprisingly its not. The media is so fickly. We are 3rd back with a good outside run at the top of the straight but will get no credit unless we compete in the GF - at least not from the media. For me, the Geelong journey over 7-8 years has been inspiring. To remain one of the elite over this time, with 3 Premierships, is an extraordinary effort. Another Premiership this year will define GFC as the greatest club in modern times. But for the media, if we fall agonisingly short, we will still be an ex-Premiership club in decline.
Go figure.

Not necessarily. If Hawthorn and Sydney both go undefeated, it comes down to percentage between them, with Hawthorn currently having the advantage, though that is offset by Sydney having some much easier games, on paper, to finish the season. If they both go 4-0, it's really a coin toss as to which of them finishes top and hence, who our opponent would be in the first week, assuming we finish third.
I believe if they both go undefeated I give Hawthorn 0 chance of finishing first as Sydney have two 75+ point wins coming their way against St. Kilda at home and the following week Footscray at Ethiad. While the Hawkers only have Melbourne this upcoming week, Freo, us and Collingwood which should all be under 3 goals. There is only a 2.3 difference. Say if Sydney 150-36 St Kilda and 130-50 the Bulldogs how much would that be percentage wise?

Disagree. All other things being equal, I think it's more important to bank the wins early now and stay ahead of the teams below us, instead of falling behind again and playing catch-up. Then as the season gets closer to its climax, we have a better understanding of exactly what is required from every game. Plus, if we do lose to Fremantle, the Dockers go ahead of us. If we beat them, it's going to be extremely hard for Fremantle to catch us, from two games back.
I don't think we can go behind now. We beat Fremantle and it's all good they go two wins below us, the worst result then becomes Hawthorn beating Fremantle (to be tied to us & Sydney) but then we beat Hawthorn and they're both a win below us with us heading home with Brisbane into the last round. We finish 2nd.

Hawthorn being above us on the ladder is not necessarily a big deal (because of the likely 2 v 3 match-up), but I can't see any way that Fremantle being ahead of us would be a good thing, unless we're going for a 'finish fourth and hope Hawthorn finishes first' kind of game, which isn't something that I'd be in favour of.
I think most people would rather we play Hawthorn and I am one of them so no arguments here.

Carlile played today and Trengove could be a 'test' this week. Just got a feeling that Sydney could go in a bit complacent and Port will throw everything at the Swans, because if the Power drops this one, the chances for top four from there become pretty remote.
Port's best hope is that Trengove and White can both play and even though they'll be out of form due to injury that is the only way I can see them to win this week: Lucky for them there is 3 weeks after R20 and they can get into some form come finals.

If we go 18-4 and finish 2nd it is almost like a big f*ck you too Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, James Podsiadly & Josh Hunt like we didn't need them or that they weren't needed, nearly like a root and boot type of thing but in footy development aspect, if you get me? Kudos to CS and the recruiters basically.

Sorry if the quote thing doesn't work I literally have no idea!

Really? Wouldn't that be something?
The 'media', over the past 5 years, has been totally committed to the series of headlines predicting the natural decline of the 'once great' Geelong footy club. These headlines suit the traditional pattern of a successful premiership AFL club (particularly a non-Melbourne club) naturally declining to a decade of bottom 8 finishes while attempting to rebuild. Geelong hasn't followed that pattern and the scribes are confused and disappointed. Until we face off in the 2014 grannie, there will be no 'media warming'. Geelong are equal first at the turn of the 2014 home straight but that is not part of the expected script. It should be a good news story but unsurprisingly its not. The media is so fickly. We are 3rd back with a good outside run at the top of the straight but will get no credit unless we compete in the GF - at least not from the media. For me, the Geelong journey over 7-8 years has been inspiring. To remain one of the elite over this time, with 3 Premierships, is an extraordinary effort. Another Premiership this year will define GFC as the greatest club in modern times. But for the media, if we fall agonisingly short, we will still be an ex-Premiership club in decline.
Go figure.
What a load of bullshit.
There are 1,000 accredited journos.
Stop reading the stuff that pisses you off and you'll be fine.

The media are very balanced with Geelong.
At least we get media coverage!

What a load of bullshit.
There are 1,000 accredited journos.
Stop reading the stuff that pisses you off and you'll be fine.

The media are very balanced with Geelong.
At least we get media coverage!
Ahh, VC, but Im not like you. And I'm not sure anybody else is either.
I don't make a point of just reading or listening to what appeals. Hey, and I didn't know there were 1,000 accredited journos commenting on Geelong's recent progress.
If you like the s**t that come out of Fox about Geelong thats fine. I don't see it that way.
Maybe I'll just read the 'stuff' on big footy that 'doesn't piss me off' - that is, everything except that writing by vinum coup
Stars not in alignment for you tonight VC? Bad mood? Who cares.

I believe if they both go undefeated I give Hawthorn 0 chance of finishing first as Sydney have two 75+ point wins coming their way against St. Kilda at home and the following week Footscray at Ethiad. While the Hawkers only have Melbourne this upcoming week, Freo, us and Collingwood which should all be under 3 goals. There is only a 2.3 difference. Say if Sydney 150-36 St Kilda and 130-50 the Bulldogs how much would that be percentage wise?

If Sydney absolutely smashes St Kilda and the Bulldogs and Hawthorn has narrow wins in its last three games, yes, Sydney is likely to go ahead on percentage. But you've got to ask yourself: why would Sydney be keeping its foot to the floor at this stage of the season, when all it has to do is bank the four points each week and it will finish top two (with no particularly discernible difference to them between first and second)? If anything, if Geelong looks set to finish third, it's reasonable to assume that Sydney would fancy its chances in a home final against us and wouldn't be going all-out for that extra percentage that would mean it hosts Fremantle instead.

I don't think we can go behind now. We beat Fremantle and it's all good they go two wins below us, the worst result then becomes Hawthorn beating Fremantle (to be tied to us & Sydney) but then we beat Hawthorn and they're both a win below us with us heading home with Brisbane into the last round. We finish 2nd.

Sure. But weren't you saying that it's more important to beat Hawthorn than Fremantle?

The way I see it, getting the Fremantle win is by far the most important of the remaining games, because it ensures we still have a safety net for one slip-up over the remaining three games (rather than coping with the pressure of having to win them all) and it also ensures that as long as we beat Carlton and Brisbane, we will finish no lower than third.

If we go 18-4 and finish 2nd it is almost like a big f*ck you too Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, James Podsiadly & Josh Hunt like we didn't need them or that they weren't needed, nearly like a root and boot type of thing but in footy development aspect, if you get me?

Not really. It's debatable how much we needed Podsiadly by the time he left, anyway and Josh Hunt was clearly no better than an emergency by the end of his Geelong career. Corey and Chapman? Still valuable players (and one which hasn't yet been adequately replaced, in my opinion, in Chapman's case) but with the natural improvement of so many younger players, combined with the availability/fitness of players like Hawkins, Simpson, Rivers and McIntosh, it's not hard to see how we've maintained this season and could (hopefully) go a little bit further this time around. We've gone on winning after the departure of several all-time greats of the club and hopefully we can continue to do so.

If Sydney absolutely smashes St Kilda and the Bulldogs and Hawthorn has narrow wins in its last three games, yes, Sydney is likely to go ahead on percentage. But you've got to ask yourself: why would Sydney be keeping its foot to the floor at this stage of the season, when all it has to do is bank the four points each week and it will finish top two (with no particularly discernible difference to them between first and second)? If anything, if Geelong looks set to finish third, it's reasonable to assume that Sydney would fancy its chances in a home final against us and wouldn't be going all-out for that extra percentage that would mean it hosts Fremantle instead.
While I get your point and it is a very reasonable one about Sydney I think they would want to be the minor premiers because it's just to show your dominance (also depending on us & Freo v. Hawk games) but if they're both on 18-4 I would want to be first so it show's who is the powerhouse, there's many different sides to look at this from.

Sure. But weren't you saying that it's more important to beat Hawthorn than Fremantle?

The way I see it, getting the Fremantle win is by far the most important of the remaining games, because it ensures we still have a safety net for one slip-up over the remaining three games (rather than coping with the pressure of having to win them all) and it also ensures that as long as we beat Carlton and Brisbane, we will finish no lower than third.
When I said it was more important to beat Hawthorn that was because we're a win clear of Freo concurrently and not Hawthorn having both of them below us is a good thing and strengthens our chances at a 2nd spot. I love the fact that you can get right into this and think of more than one view when your posting despite arguing your other case. While I was thinking about the positivity of what can happen in 3 weeks you were thinking more closer on the next. I like that a lot.

Not really. It's debatable how much we needed Podsiadly by the time he left, anyway and Josh Hunt was clearly no better than an emergency by the end of his Geelong career. Corey and Chapman? Still valuable players (and one which hasn't yet been adequately replaced, in my opinion, in Chapman's case) but with the natural improvement of so many younger players, combined with the availability/fitness of players like Hawkins, Simpson, Rivers and McIntosh, it's not hard to see how we've maintained this season and could (hopefully) go a little bit further this time around. We've gone on winning after the departure of several all-time greats of the club and hopefully we can continue to do so.
If I was any of the guys who were top 22 who got moved on I'd actually be upset from a personal perspective for missing out but from a secondary perspective I would be happy for the team. We haven't recovered since losing a fair few of our players over the years and I don't ever think we will but I like the 04 factor in this. We're grooming young guys like we were then when the likes of Ablett and Bartel would've been 20/21. I can't see anything in our future other than something bright which is always going to be a good thing.

If our objective is a GF berth, then we're better off playing Sydney in a qual final than Hawthorn.

Even if it is in Sydney I think we're more of a chance against swans up there is than hawks down here as it stands.

Why everyone wants us to play Hawks in the qual final I do not know! They are on fire.

Why everyone wants us to play Hawks in the qual final I do not know! They are on fire.

The '11' included a number of games where we were supposedly little chance because the Hawkers were near invincible.

Would have nailed them in the Prelim last year too if not for the extra week's work we put ourselves through by dropping our bundle against the Shockers.

Which resulted in us collectively running on the spot in the last quarter when we needed to resist their late momentum.

Reality is we match up well against them however well they're going.

And they know it.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back