TV/Film The Last of Us - HBO TV Show

TV shows and films that were games but are also TV shows or films now.

Remove this Banner Ad

That 52 minutes felt like 20. Shows how much I'm enjoying it.

Can we just get HBO to do every video game adaption series from now on?

Imagine what they could have done with the upcoming Fallout series, or the Witcher

What could have been

sad-thinking.gif

Last edited:

Can we just get HBO to do every video game adaption series from now on?

Imagine what they could have done with the upcoming Fallout series, or the Witcher worlds.

What could have been

sad-thinking.gif

I am personally worried about the God of War series. How the hell to do adapt a series where the main character is always angry, without making it look and sound like you’re watching Vin Diesel try to act?

I am personally worried about the God of War series. How the hell to do adapt a series where the main character is always angry, without making it look and sound like you’re watching Vin Diesel try to act?

I think they'll go with the stoic mostly strong silent type rather than angry most of the time. But yeah being Amazon I don't hold much hope for quality of this level.

I think they'll go with the stoic mostly strong silent type rather than angry most of the time. But yeah being Amazon I don't hold much hope for quality of this level.

I read the other day that the series will cover the Norse games and not the original ones. That has ruined it for me tbh. The Norse games are fantastic but the originals had so much possibility for a live action show.

I've been playing through this again as I played it once when I got it with my PS4 way back when, I'm up to just after where the last episode ended and it kind of looks to me that they might be basing a whole episode on only a line or two of dialogue out of the game.

I've been playing through this again as I played it once when I got it with my PS4 way back when, I'm up to just after where the last episode ended and it kind of looks to me that they might be basing a whole episode on only a line or two of dialogue out of the game.
A few people have been playing the game along side the show and stoping where the episode ends

Man wish i thought of that only recently beat the remake on PS5

I had a decade long break from video games that lasted until a few years ago, so I feel lucky to have first played both games in their remastered/remade versions on PS5.

Agree with the praise for the show and I would just add that for me, the casting of Ellie was a really inspired choice.

It’s interesting how the writers have suggested the second game won’t fit into a single season, so we might be looking a three season adaptation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have no idea how they are going to do season 2.

Like if they do the same structure as the game
and end with the switch from Ellie to Abby i dont know how many will stick around for season 3. unless they do flashbacks and backstory for a season and end with Ellie going to Seattle to hunt down Abby, then season 3 is more or less the main game with one day per episode where each episode would be like 90mins and just 7 episodes long

i have no idea how they are going to do season 2.

Like if they do the same structure as the game
and end with the switch from Ellie to Abby i dont know how many will stick around for season 3. unless they do flashbacks and backstory for a season and end with Ellie going to Seattle to hunt down Abby, then season 3 is more or less the main game with one day per episode where each episode would be like 90mins and just 7 episodes long
I reckon they’ll
on a cliffhanger. Since Joel’s death happens too early, I reckon it’ll be on Jesse’s death.

I reckon they’ll
on a cliffhanger. Since Joel’s death happens too early, I reckon it’ll be on Jesse’s death.
Dont think that will work.
Jesse's death wouldnt be what sends Ellie down that dark path of guilt and anger. also if they swapped Joel and Jesse's death there is no way even Dina almost getting killed would have Ellie go home and give up for a year or so before PTSD sets her off. and having Joel blindsided by a gunshot death wouldnt produce the PTSD that Ellie has to deal with the whole game.

I reckon they’ll

He dies early on in the game but there's enough of Joel in the second game through flashbacks to focus on the relationship between him and Ellie and the lead up to their breakdown If the TV show wants to take that direction.

Dont think that will work.
Jesse's death wouldnt be what sends Ellie down that dark path of guilt and anger. also if they swapped Joel and Jesse's death there is no way even Dina almost getting killed would have Ellie go home and give up for a year or so before PTSD sets her off. and having Joel blindsided by a gunshot death wouldnt produce the PTSD that Ellie has to deal with the whole game.
I don't understand what you're saying mate? I'm not suggesting they swap the order of their deaths. If anything, the show thus far has remained true to the narrative structure of the game. If that faithfulness continues into the next series, I imagine the split between the 2nd and 3rd seasons would be:
S2: The whole Jackson enclave sequence. Meet Abby and her mates. Joel meets a golf club. Bye Joel. Everyone goes to Seattle, lots of fights on the way. Get to Seattle, there's a couple of episodes with the Seraphites and Nora. Ellie becomes increasingly unhinged/ruthless, tortures Nora, kills Mel and Owen. Fight with Abby ensues, Jesse dies. End of season 2.
S3: Abby flashback, she's captured by Seraphites. Bit of Yara and Lev backstory, leading up to rescuing mum. She's killed instead. WLF take on the Seraphites. Massive fight scene. Abby discovers Owen and Mel. Then Ellie and Tommy rock up and there's another big fight. Farm scene, Ellie's all buggered up. Tommy arrives with info about Abby. Ellie goes off to California. Fights Abby. Comes back to farm, fini.

TL; DR - Jesse's death is not just a natural cliffhanger, its also bang smack in the middle of the 2 season structure. I reckon that'd work fine!

I don't understand what you're saying mate? I'm not suggesting they swap the order of their deaths. If anything, the show thus far has remained true to the narrative structure of the game. If that faithfulness continues into the next series, I imagine the split between the 2nd and 3rd seasons would be:
S2: The whole Jackson enclave sequence. Meet Abby and her mates. Joel meets a golf club. Bye Joel. Everyone goes to Seattle, lots of fights on the way. Get to Seattle, there's a couple of episodes with the Seraphites and Nora. Ellie becomes increasingly unhinged/ruthless, tortures Nora, kills Mel and Owen. Fight with Abby ensues, Jesse dies. End of season 2.
S3: Abby flashback, she's captured by Seraphites. Bit of Yara and Lev backstory, leading up to rescuing mum. She's killed instead. WLF take on the Seraphites. Massive fight scene. Abby discovers Owen and Mel. Then Ellie and Tommy rock up and there's another big fight. Farm scene, Ellie's all buggered up. Tommy arrives with info about Abby. Ellie goes off to California. Fights Abby. Comes back to farm, fini.

TL; DR - Jesse's death is not just a natural cliffhanger, its also bang smack in the middle of the 2 season structure. I reckon that'd work fine!
My guess would be that they won't hard split the 2nd and 3rd seasons like that. It would mean you go almost an entire season without certain characters, which I don't think will feel right.

If I had to guess,
they'll do what the game rightfully couldn't do and just swap between timelines on and off so you get both sides of the story concurrently.

What I mean by "rightfully couldn't do" is that if they have you like Abby while playing as Ellie for the entire first half of the game, you're not going to be wanting to move forward with it. When playing as Abby, most of her story isn't associated with Ellie, so it takes away that "revenge" motivation until right near the end, when you damn well want to get revenge.

They need to build up Abby as a character and doing this alongside the Ellie story will actually allow a piece by piece narrative and people to genuinely take sides opposite to what could happen in the game if you want to push the story forward properly. I think focusing a whole season on just her or a whole season without her would possibly change a lot of viewers perspectives different to how it maybe needs to be for a TV Show.

I think if you swap timelines, between both, basically how it could've been done in the game but wasn't due to consistency reasons then you easily do have a decent end point as well.

Ideally too you'd then be able to really expand out the last portion of the story and go more wild with the last section more than the game did too.

Side note - I find it hilarious that people think Joel wouldn't die. It's literally the whole game! You change the entire thing if it's not Joel dying...

Also I feel there's plenty of 'off brand' stories that can be added for a few 'filler' eps.

Last edited:
My guess would be that they won't hard split the 2nd and 3rd seasons like that. It would mean you go almost an entire season without certain characters, which I don't think will feel right.

If I had to guess,
they'll do what the game rightfully couldn't do and just swap between timelines on and off so you get both sides of the story concurrently.

What I mean by "rightfully couldn't do" is that if they have you like Abby while playing as Ellie for the entire first half of the game, you're not going to be wanting to move forward with it. When playing as Abby, most of her story isn't associated with Ellie, so it takes away that "revenge" motivation until right near the end, when you damn well want to get revenge.

They need to build up Abby as a character and doing this alongside the Ellie story will actually allow a piece by piece narrative and people to genuinely take sides opposite to what could happen in the game if you want to push the story forward properly. I think focusing a whole season on just her or a whole season without her would possibly change a lot of viewers perspectives different to how it maybe needs to be for a TV Show.

I think if you swap timelines, between both, basically how it could've been done in the game but wasn't due to consistency reasons then you easily do have a decent end point as well.

Ideally too you'd then be able to really expand out the last portion of the story and go more wild with the last section more than the game did too.

Side note - I find it hilarious that people think Joel wouldn't die. It's literally the whole game! You change the entire thing if it's not Joel dying...

Also I feel there's plenty of 'off brand' stories that can be added for a few 'filler' eps.
Interesting. Maybe. I think its critical for the game version of the story that Abby is built up as a monster before the roles are reversed and the audience gets the big reveals. Its quite hard to build her up as a monster (and thus humanise her later) if we have all the plot points of her relationship with Ellie in chronological order. If you tell both their stories at once, it risks losing those suckerpunch moments of big reveals.

Not even close to how i expected this episode to go. Wow it was amazing.

sad that we didnt get the Bill/Ellie scene from the game, for a moment i thought after Frank had decided it was his last day that Bill we might get that scene and Bill would become bitter again. but when i saw Bill recreating the first night they spent together i knew he would also take the pills.

the preview for next week looks epic.

I thought episode 3 was important to shed light on how Joel can open himself up to the world again, next episode will probably reflect on joels past and having that reminder will be important.

One aspect I wish they did was Bill using the infected as a defense from raiders.

Last edited:
Interesting. Maybe. I think its critical for the game version of the story that Abby is built up as a monster before the roles are reversed and the audience gets the big reveals. Its quite hard to build her up as a monster (and thus humanise her later) if we have all the plot points of her relationship with Ellie in chronological order. If you tell both their stories at once, it risks losing those suckerpunch moments of big reveals.
To be honest, I think one key to the Abby side of the story is when the reveal comes. You can make it, as Ellie see's it, as just like "oh you assholes ruined the cure!" for a good portion of the season. The reveal could be the sucker punch potentially to the end of season 2, so you get everyone having dividing opinions between the end of 2 and start of 3. I don't know exactly how the chain of events would play out to that point and where you could end it in terms of all the paths. But I could definitely see them utilising the flipping narrative rather than one siding two seasons.

I do however think Abby doesn't need to be portrayed as the villain. The point of TLOU2 is that she isn't, it's just a different side of the coin (obviously plenty of people hate Abby with a passion due to what she did - and I did at first too but I loved her character by the end).
Not even close to how i expected this episode to go. Wow it was amazing.

sad that we didnt get the Bill/Ellie scene from the game, for a moment i thought after Frank had decided it was his last day that Bill we might get that scene and Bill would become bitter again. but when i saw Bill recreating the first night they spent together i knew he would also take the pills.

the preview for next week looks epic.
I was fully expecting the next scene after the dinner to have been Bill waking up, not having the pills taken effect or some sort and become a bitter arsehole because of it.

What a twist to the formula.

Definitely a bit disappointing not to have Bill actually do his scenes, some of the stuff from the game was so good and I would've loved to have seen Offerman and Ellie butt heads.

But this turn of events wasn't any worse and the letter was absolutely perfect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back