Roast The Melbourne Board NAPALM thread (hosted by Topkent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trio Of Disappointment- You ******* spuds, Seriously if you blokes cant get picked ahead of Terlich, Bail, Jones, Nicho and these VFL blokes then you dont work hard enough in other areas, You were all picked up in the first round while the others were plucked from the VFL, SANFL, NEAFL and the bloody VAFA

Just to confirm Blease, Tappy, and Strauss?

It's just as important these days what a player is doing when he doesn't have the ball. That's the problem with players like Blease.

Half the players today are looking for a cheap handball receive when around a teammate with the ball. Not a lot of players try particularly hard to protect the ball carrier these days.

Because he's a turnover merchant who doesn't run both ways or have a defensive bone in his body. He doesn't adhere to team structures, or play team defence.

I know he has amazing speed and takes the game on, but I realise that in itself that won't get him regular games at AFL level. Some supporters don't recognise how Roos wants the team to play.
That is an inadequate reason. We would have no players on the field if not being a turnover merchant was a qualification required to get a game.

Having watched him at Casey on Saturday, he was defending as well as anyone else. I just fail to see why we have someone with an actual weapon not getting a game because he isn't boring. He seemed to be following 'structures' as good as anyone else as far as I could see. What 'structures' are you talking about? The ones that involve being slow to spread, slow to move the ball on and scoring one goal in a half? Then yeah, I reckon he probably won't conform to those structures, so you are probably right. Carry on.

And I fully understand the way Roos wants the team to play, but what is the harm in having a tiny bit of flair or pace? How would he have been worse than say Salem on the weekend? (Just picked any fringe player). I would rather a player that comes in and kicks 2 goals in a side that will most likely only kick 6 for the game and get criticised for 'lacking defensive structures' than someone who doesn't impact the game at all but stays goal side the whole game.

Understand your concerns about this defensive stuff that seems to just be what everyone has started saying about Blease, but ffs, we need to attack as well. Or lets be happy with 1 goal every half while 10 get kicked on us the other way.

Last edited:
That is an inadequate reason.

I gave you more than one, but you only quoted this.

Do supporters not understand what they hear, or they're just not paying attention ? Roos, Allison, etc. have made it painfully clear that players currently running around at Casey have to make themselves "eligible" for senior selection. And they do this by their actions and adhering to team rules and performing the way they're instructed. Now this isn't a surprise to the players. It's made clear to them in their one on ones during the week what they're not doing well enough. When they put their hand up and perform the way they're told they then become eligible to be selected.

Blease and co know what they're not doing to a satisfactory level and it's up to them to make the necessary changes. So while you and others bleat about their non inclusion, they're fully cognisant of what they're not doing and what needs to change. They need to position themselves properly at stoppages and when the ball is in transition, they have to concentrate for 120 minutes, which means not losing their opponent when we don't have the ball and move the ball the way they've been instructed when we do. It doesn't mean doing this for a quarter, or a half, it means doing it for 120 minutes.

You're right to say that players in the senior team are also failing to deliver on these aspects, but I don't want players promoted to senior level when they're clearly not doing what's required at Casey. If they're not doing it at Casey what hope have they of doing it at AFL level ?

It's about time we had a club that had standards. But still supporters aren't happy. It beggars belief.

I gave you more than one, but you only quoted this.

Do supporters not understand what they hear, or they're just not paying attention ? Roos, Allison, etc. have made it painfully clear that players currently running around at Casey have to make themselves "eligible" for senior selection. And they do this by their actions and adhering to team rules and performing the way they're instructed. Now this isn't a surprise to the players. It's made clear to them in their one on ones during the week what they're not doing well enough. When they put their hand up and perform the way they're told they then become eligible to be selected.

Blease and co know what they're not doing to a satisfactory level and it's up to them to make the necessary changes. So while you and others bleat about their non inclusion, they're fully cognisant of what they're not doing and what needs to change. They need to position themselves properly at stoppages and when the ball is in transition, they have to concentrate for 120 minutes, which means not losing their opponent when we don't have the ball and move the ball the way they've been instructed when we do. It doesn't mean doing this for a quarter, or a half, it means doing it for 120 minutes.

You're right to say that players in the senior team are also failing to deliver on these aspects, but I don't want players promoted to senior level when they're clearly not doing what's required at Casey. If they're not doing it at Casey what hope have they of doing it at AFL level ?

It's about time we had a club that had standards. But still supporters aren't happy. It beggars belief.

This brilliant response makes me want to torch myself for suggesting blease should come in

It is true that he shouldn't be rewarded for other mediocrity

Look, we don't know what Sam has/has not done every VFL game - it's clear that after he was named emergency (which suggests he was doing what was required) he had at least one week where he didn't.

It's unfair to assume that means he hasn't been doing it at all.

From what I've seen Blease is a much improved player, he's got far more composure and competitiveness at VFL level this year then I've ever seen from him there.

Look, we don't know what Sam has/has not done every VFL game - it's clear that after he was named emergency (which suggests he was doing what was required) he had at least one week where he didn't.

From what I've seen Blease is a much improved player, he's got far more composure and competitiveness at VFL level this year then I've ever seen from him there.

I still think it's very much a telling sign that JKH, Salem and even Aidan Riley have played before him this season

Aidan Riley was coming back from a broken leg and it was decided he was doing more

However

Matt white at port has shown why you don't just discard players with wheels

The penny IS probably finally dropping for Blease. The ball is now completely in his court to force his way in. It's not like there aren't opportunities.

Exactly. I thought my response was pretty clear. I went and watched him and he wasn't 'not defending' any more than any of the other players. Also, if he has been named as an emergency then clearly he has been doing what they want him to (which i pretty much disagree with anyway but that is another matter).

I also gave my reasons about why I want him in the side. I understand that all and sundry are saying he doesn't defend enough, but I'm not quite sure more defense is what we require at the moment. Am I not allowed to have this opinion? After kicking 1 goal in a half? Sue me for wanting to see some excitement and someone who can break a line and crack in and have a crack.

I still think it's very much a telling sign that JKH, Salem and even Aidan Riley have played before him this season

Aidan Riley was coming back from a broken leg and it was decided he was doing more

However

Matt white at port has shown why you don't just discard players with wheels
I think it is also a product of Sam Blease not fitting into the mould of players that Roos likes or the defensive game plan they are trying to implement. Might as well move him on then I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is also a product of Sam Blease not fitting into the mould of players that Roos likes or the defensive game plan they are trying to implement. Might as well move him on then I think.

Disagree with that, Roosy's last year at the Swans he drafted Rohan and Jetta - two outside players with pace.

In an article he penned last year he said that Blease was a player who could be 'a star', I think he just wants Sam to earn his place.

We look so much better when we decide to move the ball (more) quickly. Surely that is beyond dispute. Wouldn't Blease help in this regard? Or am I way out of line for suggesting that we don't just stop every time we take a mark, let the opposition get back into position and bomb it long to the next target? We kick goals when we play on. We fluke goals when we expect Dawes and co to take hangers (particularly when our best mark plays in the back line LOL)

Disagree with that, Roosy's last year at the Swans he drafted Rohan and Jetta - two outside players with pace.

In an article he penned last year he said that Blease was a player who could be 'a star', I think he just wants Sam to earn his place.
I completely understand that Blease is being made to earn his spot, I reckon he has though. And the fact is, he would add at least as much as Salem at the moment. Surely.

I completely understand that Blease is being made to earn his spot, I reckon he has though. And the fact is, he would add at least as much as Salem at the moment. Surely.

When you've developed bad habits like Sam and a number of our players have over their career you probably need to work even harder to get rid of them.

Exactly. I thought my response was pretty clear. I went and watched him and he wasn't 'not defending' any more than any of the other players. Also, if he has been named as an emergency then clearly he has been doing what they want him to (which i pretty much disagree with anyway but that is another matter).

I also gave my reasons about why I want him in the side. I understand that all and sundry are saying he doesn't defend enough, but I'm not quite sure more defense is what we require at the moment. Am I not allowed to have this opinion? After kicking 1 goal in a half? Sue me for wanting to see some excitement and someone who can break a line and crack in and have a crack.

Actually the last couple of weeks I think reports have been suggesting Blease's work rate is up and he is running both ways more, but the problem still being his disposal and decision making is horrific, it's as worse if not worse than Nicholson and TMac. But if his defence stays up, then he will get a shot in the seniors I imagine.

By Brett Allison

Sam Blease:

Player Review Round 12: Sam really struggled with his ball use, particularly by foot. In tough conditions, he found it very hard to find the targets. However, in the last quarter, we finally saw some flashes of Sam that we’ve been looking for all season.

Round 11: Sam started the game in positive fashion, during the first quarter. He got a bit of the ball in the second quarter, but he started to take it sideways and backwards, rather than forward. He only had six possessions after the half-time break, so he fell away after half-time. Sam knows the defensive style we play at senior level and it’s an area he needs to continue to work on to press for selection.

Round 10: Sam’s built up some consistent form over the last few games. He’s hopefully learned some lessons from playing on similar players to himself, as a defender. We’ll look to move him up the ground and play him more wing/half-forward in the coming weeks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a pretty clear message. Blease is improving, but is far from consistent when it comes to how the club wants him to play. I suggest that amateur observers don't fully appreciate what the club is asking him to do when they watch him play.

And yes, Roos wants the players to take the game on at the right times, but turnovers kill you in today's game. Decision making isn't one of Blease's strengths.

Feel Sam needs to appreciate its as much about how hard you work without the ball, as what you do when you actually get it.

Again. I fully understand why Blease isn't getting picked. I fully understand what they are trying to do (ie turn him into a defensive player and wreck any sort of flair he might have until we are 10 goals down in the 3rd qtr). I just disagree with the need for it and I don't think he is doing it any worse than anyone else.

Also again. If turnovers and decision making was truly a factor in getting a game, half our list would be getting dropped every week. Grimes would be playing for Elsternwick. You can't pick and choose who the rules apply to, which is what I feel like they are doing. I'm not gonna say it again though, so carry on. We are just going to have to disagree. I would like to see him play because he wont do any worse to the team than a few of the players getting games now, and who knows, he might add something that we lack. But you guys clearly disagree, which is fine with me

Again. I fully understand why Blease isn't getting picked. I fully understand what they are trying to do (ie turn him into a defensive player and wreck any sort of flair he might have until we are 10 goals down in the 3rd qtr). I just disagree with the need for it and I don't think he is doing it any worse than anyone else.

Also again. If turnovers and decision making was truly a factor in getting a game, half our list would be getting dropped every week. Grimes would be playing for Elsternwick. You can't pick and choose who the rules apply to, which is what I feel like they are doing. I'm not gonna say it again though, so carry on. We are just going to have to disagree. I would like to see him play because he wont do any worse to the team than a few of the players getting games now, and who knows, he might add something that we lack. But you guys clearly disagree, which is fine with me

Mate , jack grimes is Darren jarman compared to Sam blease

Remove this Banner Ad

Back