Hulk_Hawkins

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2003
Kande Beach, Malawi
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man U/Hotspurs
The problem is plain and simple but damn hard to fix. I will give you a clue...
Brisbane Jonathon Brown, Daniel Bradshaw
Hawthorn Mark Williams, Trent Croad
Melbourne David Neitz
Adelaide Ian Perrie, Mark Riciouto
Essendon Matty Lloyd,James Hird, Scott Lucas
Fremantle Matthew Pavlich

See the trend???

Kangaroos Nathan Thomspon
Bulldogs Brad Johnson, Chris Grant
West Coast Chris Judd, Daniel Chick, Quentin Lynch (recently)
Collingwood Chris Tarrant, Anthony Rocca
Sydney Barry Hall
Port Adelaide Warren Tredrea
Carlton Brenden Fevola
Richmond Matty Richardson
St Kilda Nick Riewoldt, Fraser Gherig

Geelong ??????

Every club in the league, even the ones who have had very little success over recent years still have a big key dangerous fwd lurking with the potential to kick a big bag regularly. We lack that one player who can stand up grab the game by the scruff and say I am going to win it of my own boot, some people may argue the fact that GAJ, or dog is that player but they are yet to do it, if we had that big powerful fwd with the potential to kick a bag of six or eight, it would give so much more confidence to the players up field to kick it in our fwd 50 with a bit of direction, rather than this crap style of kick to kick and keepings of style that we constantly stuff up.
Matty Scarlett is probably the only player on our list who I would say has qualified for super star status but he plays at the wrong end of the ground (to get the same sort of recognition as key fwds that is), I know we have said it for years but with our current crop of players it is hard to see a quick fix fellas (and more recently girls!!)!
Key fwds who can potentially win matches of their own boots are not easy to find. I know that is stating the blaringly obvious but all sides with premiership success have had that one dominant link in their team!

jacmitgee said:
The problem is plain and simple but damn hard to fix. I will give you a clue...
Brisbane Jonathon Brown, Daniel Bradshaw
Hawthorn Mark Williams, Trent Croad
Melbourne David Neitz
Adelaide Ian Perrie, Mark Riciouto
Essendon Matty Lloyd,James Hird, Scott Lucas
Fremantle Matthew Pavlich

See the trend???

Kangaroos Nathan Thomspon
Bulldogs Brad Johnson, Chris Grant
West Coast Chris Judd, Daniel Chick, Quentin Lynch (recently)
Collingwood Chris Tarrant, Anthony Rocca
Sydney Barry Hall
Port Adelaide Warren Tredrea
Carlton Brenden Fevola
Richmond Matty Richardson
St Kilda Nick Riewoldt, Fraser Gherig

Geelong ??????

Every club in the league, even the ones who have had very little success over recent years still have a big key dangerous fwd lurking with the potential to kick a big bag regularly. We lack that one player who can stand up grab the game by the scruff and say I am going to win it of my own boot, some people may argue the fact that GAJ, or dog is that player but they are yet to do it, if we had that big powerful fwd with the potential to kick a bag of six or eight, it would give so much more confidence to the players up field to kick it in our fwd 50 with a bit of direction, rather than this crap style of kick to kick and keepings of style that we constantly stuff up.
Matty Scarlett is probably the only player on our list who I would say has qualified for super star status but he plays at the wrong end of the ground (to get the same sort of recognition as key fwds that is), I know we have said it for years but with our current crop of players it is hard to see a quick fix fellas (and more recently girls!!)!
Key fwds who can potentially win matches of their own boots are not easy to find. I know that is stating the blaringly obvious but all sides with premiership success have had that one dominant link in their team!
Agree with the above comments; all the great sides have had great leaders in one form or another.
I dont believe Geelong will ever be better than mediocre to good without an onfield leader that produces week in week out.
I am not even convinced that a fit S King gives us that.
Maybe Chappy could supply this missing link but I dont know what sort of a leader he would make.

Have I not been saying this for 3 years.

Should have got Fevola last year. Even if it cost us Playfair, Kingsley, Gardiner, Byrnes and Varcoe.

The sides that don't have great forwards like West Coast and Adelaide make up for this by having gun midfields. We are the only side in the comp that has an ordinary forward line and an average on ball brigade. We have all overated guys like Corey, Bartel, Enright, Ling and Kelly. They are not great, they are just run of the mill midfielders that are no better than the average players in other sides. We just don't have the gun.

Trade some of these guys and get top10 draft picks and Akermanis. We could turn it around in 2 years.

There's probably not much wrong with your theory but the players you've mentioned fail to illustrate it. Quentin Lynch - FFS! Half the others you mention have no more ability to grab the game by the scruff than GAJ or Chappy do.

Jack-Packenham said:

Should have got Fevola last year. Even if it cost us Playfair, Kingsley, Gardiner, Byrnes and Varcoe.

The sides that don't have great forwards like West Coast and Adelaide make up for this by having gun midfields. We are the only side in the comp that has an ordinary forward line and an average on ball brigade. We have all overated guys like Corey, Bartel, Enright, Ling and Kelly. They are not great, they are just run of the mill midfielders that are no better than the average players in other sides. We just don't have the gun.

Trade some of these guys and get top10 draft picks and Akermanis. We could turn it around in 2 years.

(From the first post) not sure when lynch , chick have the potential to kick 6, 7 or 8 goals
also with the one i've quoted i would have to agree with the excepten of bartel hes a champion

What does it matter?

If only teams in the top 4 in recent years had "Key Fowards" it would be an interesting point.

However, you have used every team in the league as your example. May as well say that all the other teams wear uniforms other than the blue and white hoops? Is that the missing link?

Find out what the GOOD teams are doing and emulate that?

Like your mum said: "If every other team jumped off a bridge..."

Jack-Packenham said:

Not the way I remember it Jack. It was more about bagging H.
Most , if not all the poseters that had gone into the verbal joust with you over this period have never said we had a JB in the VFL not getting a game becuase H was there, just that he was our best option of the group available.Yes I can remember you advocating the Fev swap and whether or not it had worked or was doable, who knows. Its about as usefull as looking back and saying why didnt we get Sav Rocca to the club when the Pies thru him away and Norht picked him up for nicks.

Lets draft Dermie. Did anyone see him pulling in a few powerful marks in the forward line for the :D:D:D:D team he ran with on the weekend? Kent Kingsley cant even stick his hands in the air.

skankfest said:
What does it matter?

If only teams in the top 4 in recent years had "Key Fowards" it would be an interesting point.

However, you have used every team in the league as your example. May as well say that all the other teams wear uniforms other than the blue and white hoops? Is that the missing link?

Find out what the GOOD teams are doing and emulate that?

Like your mum said: "If every other team jumped off a bridge..."

No good hiding behind excuses anymore, the point I am making is obvious we do not have a potential match winner on our list. Pure and simple!

Devilcat said:
Lets draft Dermie. Did anyone see him pulling in a few powerful marks in the forward line for the :D:D:D:D team he ran with on the weekend? Kent Kingsley cant even stick his hands in the air.
Well if your going to do that draft ME!!! I could do bette than Kingsley, and i'm being serious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back