Roast The Melbourne Board NAPALM thread (hosted by Topkent)

Remove this Banner Ad

For sure. It was bloody frustrating. For this reason I'm confident Dom can turn it around. It comes with learning the pace of the game and your own limitations.

Just to be clear I dont think anyone is suggesting he wont improve and I agree that its 6 and half dozen because his ability to find space in traffic will also mean he gets caught quite often while he doesnt have the body strength to break a tackle

More so I just wanted to pick on someone else for a change because I get tired of reading criticism of the same few (of which im responsible)

Just to be clear I dont think anyone is suggesting he wont improve and I agree that its 6 and half dozen because his ability to find space in traffic will also mean he gets caught quite often while he doesnt have the body strength to break a tackle

More so I just wanted to pick on someone else for a change because I get tired of reading criticism of the same few (of which im responsible)
So the blowtorch metaphor was supposed to sound gangster, but really you are making creme brulee with it?

blowtorch.jpg

GHARDEMAN
YOUVE JUST BEEN TORCHED

If N Jones goes to Darwin this week he might deserve the blowtorch for leaving his SO to deal with their newborn for a few days.

Does the torch apply to parenting skills?

Looking after a newborn or trying to get a kick from Dan Nicholson which one is harder?

DOM TYSON-

Let me preface by saying I get that he is 21 and had an interrupted pre season yada yada

However he is in the top 20 of the AFL for clangers and is Number 1 at Melbourne averaging over 3 per game
His decision making is pretty good under pressure however he also gets pinged holding the ball an extreme amount
Also defensively is really poor at stoppages at the moment

But my biggest gripe is the inconsistency with his kicking, looks to have a beautiful action but Id say 1 in every 3 of his kicks misses the target by a LONG way, if he wants to be an AA or even considered A grade he must improve his kicking beyond its current level because he is going to need an outside game to match his inside work

DOM TYSON-

Let me preface by saying I get that he is 21 and had an interrupted pre season yada yada

However he is in the top 20 of the AFL for clangers and is Number 1 at Melbourne averaging over 3 per game
His decision making is pretty good under pressure however he also gets pinged holding the ball an extreme amount
Also defensively is really poor at stoppages at the moment

But my biggest gripe is the inconsistency with his kicking, looks to have a beautiful action but Id say 1 in every 3 of his kicks misses the target by a LONG way, if he wants to be an AA or even considered A grade he must improve his kicking beyond its current level because he is going to need an outside game to match his inside work

FFS the kid is 21, has never had a full pre season and has played less than 30 games. Calling him out is pretty ******* harsh, especially when he is probably the 2nd best performed player from his draft.

Yes he can turn the ball over, but his vision in traffic is probably the best at our club. As for getting caught holding the ball, he is the only player who looks to not give it to a player in trouble.

I feel he is the best skilled midfielder we have had at the club in a long time and has performed way better than anyone expected him to at the beginning of the season

FFS the kid is 21, has never had a full pre season...

Good point, just reminded me of the doubts we had well into the preseason that Tyson would be ready to go. He took a fair while to work his way into the main group in probably January, so in fact that makes his performances as a young kid in his first full season even more impressive.

FFS the kid is 21, has never had a full pre season and has played less than 30 games. Calling him out is pretty ******* harsh, especially when he is probably the 2nd best performed player from his draft.

Yes he can turn the ball over, but his vision in traffic is probably the best at our club. As for getting caught holding the ball, he is the only player who looks to not give it to a player in trouble.

I feel he is the best skilled midfielder we have had at the club in a long time and has performed way better than anyone expected him to at the beginning of the season

I agree with both you and nick, he has shown fantastic signs this year that he could be the elite mid we've been crying out for for years, but he does have some pretty clear deficiencies. Nowhere has nick said Tyson is a dud or will turn out to be one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with both you and nick, he has shown fantastic signs this year that he could be the elite mid we've been crying out for for years, but he does have some pretty clear deficiencies. Nowhere has nick said Tyson is a dud or will turn out to be one.
Blokes have quiet days. The good Melbourne players still have days where they look bad, but it is worse because no-one is there to take up the slack. Remember people were asking whether Swan was cooked but it did not matter cause Beams, Sidebottom and Pendlebury took up the slack. They are not asking it now. When Jones has a quiet one, he has only Bernie (and Cross when fit) to stand up. You can't expect Tyson, Viney or Salem to be the central force. New young guys play roles like Salem did against Essendon or Bontempelli did against us. You want too much too soon. Roos told us to wait and we need to wait until they get 50 games under their belts and three or four guys to help out. Putting them under the microscope because you are bored with torching Bail, Terlich, McDonald won't help. Jetta got torched all last year but with Bennell moving on, him having a role and him getting to 50 games has made a difference. It will with Tyson as well.

Blokes have quiet days. The good Melbourne players still have days where they look bad, but it is worse because no-one is there to take up the slack. Remember people were asking whether Swan was cooked but it did not matter cause Beams, Sidebottom and Pendlebury took up the slack. They are not asking it now. When Jones has a quiet one, he has only Bernie (and Cross when fit) to stand up. You can't expect Tyson, Viney or Salem to be the central force. New young guys play roles like Salem did against Essendon or Bontempelli did against us. You want too much too soon. Roos told us to wait and we need to wait until they get 50 games under their belts and three or four guys to help out. Putting them under the microscope because you are bored with torching Bail, Terlich, McDonald won't help. Jetta got torched all last year but with Bennell moving on, him having a role and him getting to 50 games has made a difference. It will with Tyson as well.

Yeah Melbournes been waiting for draft picks to come on for years and none of them ever do

All I was pointing out is obvious weaknesses in Tysons game

Yeah Melbournes been waiting for draft picks to come on for years and none of them ever do

All I was pointing out is obvious weaknesses in Tysons game
Yeah, but we all have weaknesses. You could easily point out the weaknesses in my posts and suggest that I need a run at Demonland (the Casey of the blogs), but I think both of us would prefer we were both posting. Tyson's weaknesses were Jones' weaknesses when he started; didn't take the first option, tried to do too much, kicked under pressure so he kicked badly. Jones has overcome all these things in a much worse culture than Tyson currently plays in. He will be good (and so will your posts).

Yeah, but we all have weaknesses. You could easily point out the weaknesses in my posts and suggest that I need a run at Demonland (the Casey of the blogs), but I think both of us would prefer we were both posting. Tyson's weaknesses were Jones' weaknesses when he started; didn't take the first option, tried to do too much, kicked under pressure so he kicked badly. Jones has overcome all these things in a much worse culture than Tyson currently plays in. He will be good (and so will your posts).

Nah they are different players, Tyson I have no doubt will be a very good player but it is a discussion that can be had now, You cant assume his kicking will improve, It should but it might not
If its too sensitive for you to discuss then go back to the Vitriol thread and torch Rohan Bail some more

Its ok, I enjoy this strong opinion

I dont expect everyone to agree with what I say and im certainly no more knowledgeable than anyone else here about these players
I do like looking past the obvious strengths and weaknesses of players and discussing it

Plus the torch is a bit of fun

In fact it was probably unfair of me to Torch Garland and Tyson at the same time because Garlo is far more deserving of being torched

Garlos was a torch to the back of the head saying smarten up
Tysons was a torch underneath him in me wanting to see him become as good as I think he can become

For what it's worth I agree with NG69 about Tyson. His kicking at the start of the season was hit-and-miss, then he went through this purple patch where he barely missed a target, and now it's back to the early season hit-and-miss again. I don't think it's a lack of skill, rather just a lack of care/laziness/fatigue.

Its ok, I enjoy this strong opinion

I dont expect everyone to agree with what I say and im certainly no more knowledgeable than anyone else here about these players
I do like looking past the obvious strengths and weaknesses of players and discussing it

Plus the torch is a bit of fun

You're just misunderstood on this board.

I for one appreciate your free dental care and stock plans. :D

There's the Yankees, then the Red Sox, then 50,000 feet of s**t...then there's 'land.

We're somewhere in the 50,000 feet of s**t.
In fact it was probably unfair of me to Torch Garland and Tyson at the same time because Garlo is far more deserving of being torched

Garlos was a torch to the back of the head saying smarten up
Tysons was a torch underneath him in me wanting to see him become as good as I think he can become
Funny you say this. I was torched the other week for basically calling out Garland, now everyone is doing the same.

I was called all sorts of names for backing Jetta (even at the start of this year), now everyone's kissing his arse.

Most of the people on this board know Jack s**t about footy. They like to make out like they do, and talk down to others that have differing opinions, but at the end of the day - we're all as clueless as each other and speculation is all we have.

What's that old saying? Opinions are like A-holes - everyone has one. Well there's lots of A-holes around here, so lots of Opinions.

What is great is a bloke was torched for having a couple of weaknesses instead of only having a couple of strengths.
Nice change and a sign the worm is turning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back