The point at which AFL really started to grate...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
As if the recent treatment of LT hasn't been criminal enough under his new crap rule, and the free against Waite in Tassie, yesterday we finally kick a goal and Drew gets pinged for shepherding, which is legal.
I sat there thinking what has happened to the game. We were already beat, it had no impact on game, but just summed up how frustrating AFL has become.
Throw in the form woes of the team and it is really hard to watch at the moment.
I certainly don't watch many other games any more.
I love North, but have fallen out of love with the game.

Sorry swipe, the umps may have made an error but the match yesterday was relatively well umpired, and there has been a significant improvement from 2014 to 2015 in terms of MRP (minus buddy last week) and umpiring. They can't help us if we're s**t.

But yes, footy will be tough to watch this season. I am thoroughly pleased that my great love returns on Wednesday.

Turn on the tv and start watching the Saints smashing the scum. Its cheering me up immensely!
That's what happens when a team buys into a game plan and work ethic. They are a young side but they look like they are all on the same page. They are rebuilding, which IMO is what we need to do .... Starting with a new coach

The point at which AFL really started to grate...

The concessions given to GWS and GC for starters. Free Agency. Before that our Etihad deal. Booted out of Ballarat and then they pump $$$ into the ground and will play AFL games there. Draft advantages to certain clubs. The draw or FIXture hand calved to suit the needs of the greedy AFL which then leads to certain clubs suffering while others can grow their business regardless of on field performance.
There's more but I wont bother you with it.

I don't watch or watch fleetingly other AFL games including finals have been that way for years.

As if the recent treatment of LT hasn't been criminal enough under his new crap rule, and the free against Waite in Tassie, yesterday we finally kick a goal and Drew gets pinged for shepherding, which is legal.
I sat there thinking what has happened to the game. We were already beat, it had no impact on game, but just summed up how frustrating AFL has become.
Throw in the form woes of the team and it is really hard to watch at the moment.
Ehh, I actually thought that was the correct call tbh. Drew wasn't looking at the ball and he made to attempt to go at it, he only changed the line of his run to block the other guy.

That's what happens when a team buys into a game plan and work ethic. They are a young side but they look like they are all on the same page. They are rebuilding, which IMO is what we need to do .... Starting with a new coach
I agree, the Saints have done it beautifully IMO. It was just 5 years ago they were playing in a Grand Final, and they could be right up there again soon. By allowing the kids to be played and club legends (Dal, Goddard) to walk, it means their development has been fast-tracked.

Note the word "development", something North has failed at with our kids in recent years.

I agree, the Saints have done it beautifully IMO. It was just 5 years ago they were playing in a Grand Final, and they could be right up there again soon. By allowing the kids to be played and club legends (Dal, Goddard) to walk, it means their development has been fast-tracked.

Note the word "development", something North has failed at with our kids in recent years.

I reckon Dal will be asking for a trade back to StK now :)

My face when the umpire disallowed the goal and called a free;

ca22ee79315ba50866e0e927957b9061.jpg

I used to watch every game of footy religiously. I now only watch North games and the occasional top of the ladder clash. the game is over umpired . The good of quarter time mallee is gone. It goes both ways but every week I go along I see North get free kicks for reasons that cannot be seen even in replay. I just shake my head thinking that whilst we just got a goal out of a bullshit decision you can be sure the opposition will get 3 the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still love watching footy on TV despite some of the rule interpretations but I don't like watching us on TV. If I can't go to our game I'll do something else, because we're "very bad value".

Ehh, I actually thought that was the correct call tbh. Drew wasn't looking at the ball and he made to attempt to go at it, he only changed the line of his run to block the other guy.
Yep it was the correct decision. You are not allowed to block someone trying to mark the ball. As I said in the game day thread, it if it was paid anywhere else on the field it wouldn't have been an issue. But Scottywiper as never let the rules get in the way of a good umpire bashing!

It was just another example of our dumb players doing a dumb thing.

Yep it was the correct decision. You are not allowed to block someone trying to mark the ball. As I said in the game day thread, it if it was paid anywhere else on the field it wouldn't have been an issue. But Scottywiper as never let the rules get in the way of a good umpire bashing!

Yep, it was the correct decision.

But please tell me the last time you saw a player get done for shepparding on the goal line? Commentators regularly joke about, that you can basically do whatever you like on the goal line to block a bloke. In last weeks Sydney-Richmond game, Adam Goodes got both arms around his opponent and dragged him to the ground on the goal line, to stop him touching it. Guess what? No free….

Scotty's point is valid, especially with regards to LT. All players are equal in the umpires eyes, it's just that some are more equal than others.

Last edited:
When they started ******* with holding the ball.

Hands in the back.

Chopping the arm.

Sub.

Ducking.

Deliberate out of bounds.

Yep, it was the correct decision.

But please tell me the last time you saw a player get done for shepparding on the goal line? Commentators regularly joke about, that you can basically do whatever you like on the goal line to block a bloke. In last weeks Sydney-Richmond game, Adam Goodes got both arms around his opponent and dragged him to the ground on the goal line, to stop him touching it. Guess what? No free….

Scotty's point is valid, especially with regards to LT. All players are equal in the umpires eye's, it's just that some are more equal than others.
I have to say I'm relieved that I'm not the only one that thought it was the correct decision. Perhaps I should engage in a bit more partisanship when considering these things.

I get what you're saying Arden, but I think you have to at least make it look like you're going for the footy when on the goal line. You can get away with shepharding if you're actually looking at the footy when you engage your opponent in an 'attempt' at a marking contest. Drew didn't even do that, he just looked at his opponent and ran into him.

The worst thing is Drew constantly gets held out of marking contests and then they pay that one. It's a ******* joke

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back