The point at which AFL really started to grate...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, it was the correct decision.

But please tell me the last time you saw a player get done for shepparding on the goal line? Commentators regularly joke about, that you can basically do whatever you like on the goal line to block a bloke. In last weeks Sydney-Richmond game, Adam Goodes got both arms around his opponent and dragged him to the ground on the goal line, to stop him touching it. Guess what? No free….

Scotty's point is valid, especially with regards to LT. All players are equal in the umpires eye's, it's just that some are more equal than others.

pretty sure the last time I saw a player get paid a free for shepparding was against GC last year when MR Ablett was paid the free 10 metres out from goal. wow GC again.

Happened several seasons ago.. fingernail in the back rule did it. I shut down for a good part of three years solid. Was getting headaches for the first time in my life.. Wasn't worth the trouble anymore. No AFL tipping + no gambling on AFL.. less complicated and felt Reeeeelaxed. Didn't even bother watching GF's… went O/S instead.

Got working at the 'G recent times and the lil' nibble of interest then North's imposing season of 2014 reeled me back.. but not to much avail.. :straining:

It's all become a 'shitz n giggles' thing - past time now. No accountability on the rules. *shrugs* Wayne Campbell is more watery than the tears of joy in my eyes after North beat the * in the Elimination final. His explanation >> "…a grey area…" was a ridiculously hilarious response to a certain inquiry recently. Not that it surprises me anymore. Media seem to be having loads of fun (even though the humour is lame - with a dose of obvious sarcasm).

I'm just grateful to embrace the fact North got me the much awaited Premiership glory and I witnessed it and got my hands on the Premiership CUP.. even though I think North underachieved. Take it and moved on.

Anything now = bonus if anything.

This was me for the entire gameView attachment 149618
This was me
bad-decisions-collection-tom-004.jpg

All jokes aside, I love it more than I ever did.

I think its great the media coverage...good bad or indifferent.

Last September when we were the darlings it was awesome....those Ben Brown Tv snippets.

Love Docklands aside from my campaign to get dimmies back...try Arden st back in the old days or any other of those s**t grounds.

Like Big Footy.

Still hoping for another Flag.

And finally, what all the teams did this week at the end of every game tells me that there is still some good people in it.

Yep, it was the correct decision.

But please tell me the last time you saw a player get done for shepparding on the goal line? Commentators regularly joke about, that you can basically do whatever you like on the goal line to block a bloke. In last weeks Sydney-Richmond game, Adam Goodes got both arms around his opponent and dragged him to the ground on the goal line, to stop him touching it. Guess what? No free….

Scotty's point is valid, especially with regards to LT. All players are equal in the umpires eye's, it's just that some are more equal than others.

There have been some hideous non-decisions this year for shepherding the ball through. If the one against Drew was correct then there needs to be a big change from now on, because there are many players getting away with blue murder.

But the reality is that we were so putrid yesterday, that it wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

I struggle to think of a worse performance from us than yesterday.

The worst thing is Drew constantly gets held out of marking contests and then they pay that one. It's a ******* joke
You could only laugh after Taz got pinged for a momentary hold that Dixon wouldnt have even felt... And the at the other end Waite got mauled... Nada. Consistency is sorely lacking.

To be honest I was too busy laughing at our lack of intensity, lack of accountability, lack of polish and the myriad of other things which were concerning me far more than any umpiring was.

So much this. I did not know whether to laugh or cry. I do not boo a roo but honestly when for the millionth time we failed to hit a target, it took every ounce of restraint to keep my trap shut.

To be honest I was too busy laughing at our lack of intensity, lack of accountability, lack of polish and the myriad of other things which were concerning me far more than any umpiring was.

Yep, the free was the "boom tish" at the end of a long joke by then.

Yep, the free was the "boom tish" at the end of a long joke by then.

Although on the weekend I did see Cloke fling his opponent out of the way with both hands in the style of Adam Goodes and also get away with it in the style of Adam Goodes. Some other players got pinged for nudging their opponents sideways at the last second, others were allowed hands in the back nudges.

The decision certainly had no effect on our pathetic "effort" but it warrants a discussion in the broader sense of what the hell IS the interpretation of these rules? When is something "a show of strength" and when is it illegal? When is something in the back and when isn't it? Are these things personality-based (like holding the ball) or is there one rule for all?

Although on the weekend I did see Cloke fling his opponent out of the way with both hands in the style of Adam Goodes and also get away with it in the style of Adam Goodes. Some other players got pinged for nudging their opponents sideways at the last second, others were allowed hands in the back nudges.

The decision certainly had no effect on our pathetic "effort" but it warrants a discussion in the broader sense of what the hell IS the interpretation of these rules? When is something "a show of strength" and when is it illegal? When is something in the back and when isn't it? Are these things personality-based (like holding the ball) or is there one rule for all?

When the whistle blew all I needed was to see who the blower was......... Umpire Nichols. I giggled my way from the couch to the fridge with that realisation in mind.

Not sure what constitutes going for the mark - you're allowed to shepherd if the ball is within five metres.
The ball landed in the goal square, I think it's safe to assume the GC player was attempting to mark!

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player:
unduly pushes, bumps, blocks, holds an opposition Player or deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player, who is in the act of Marking or attempting to Mark the football;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ball landed in the goal square, I think it's safe to assume the GC player was attempting to mark!

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player:
unduly pushes, bumps, blocks, holds an opposition Player or deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player, who is in the act of Marking or attempting to Mark the football;

I didn't see the incident and I could care less about it, but the interesting words in the rule are "unduly" and "deliberately". WTF? The umpires can't cope as it is and the rule only makes it worse for the poor sods.

Ehh, I actually thought that was the correct call tbh. Drew wasn't looking at the ball and he made to attempt to go at it, he only changed the line of his run to block the other guy.

Compared to the way Goodes actually tackled an opponent over the goal line under the guise of shepherding through a goal, I'd say Drew's actions were pretty reasonable. Possibly according to the way the rule is written, Drew did the wrong thing, but what he did has been allowed for the last 20 years at least.

I am sick of hearing the umpires call "play on" after they players handball, nah actually I am just sick of hearing the umpires.

When words like Duty of care, brand, processes became the norm.

AFL will soon = WWE

Sports entertainment, even down to the engineered outcomes. I mean we see it now through fixturing.

Yep, i didnt question one single decision whilst watching. The game was a mixture of comedy and heart break.

I am sick of hearing the umpires call "play on" after they players handball, nah actually I am just sick of hearing the umpires.

What about the double call after a mark or free? "Move it on" followed immediately by "play on". If you step over the mark at "move it on" its 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back