The Positives Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Positive for me this year is our defence. The most miserly in the competition. The last couple of years has been about how much we need some decent KPDs but it seems like the work is getting done.

Take a bow backline boys
Ticky009 likes this I reckon... You're the conductor of the D-men train aren't you Tick?

This thread makes me feel so nice and warm and snuggly inside about following a club as great as the Swans that I went though and Liked every single post.
Well, not every single post. You can't "like" your own posts... So I'll "like" your posts on your behalf mate. :thumbsu:

Hewett
Aliir
Mills
Naismith
Rampe
Grundy
Tippett
Papley
XR
Rohan
Jones
Bud
I feel like Towers could be added to that list. Or atleast an honourable mention. Hes been good apart from a couple of brain farts

1: Buddy appears to enjoying his footy. I can't say that's a fact, but above all else he received support to bring a long standing issue for him out into the open. And it seems to have helped him. I don't care about his KPI's, the fact our club has an environment that allows our players to seek and receive the help they need is beyond measure and we/club all benefit in the long run.
2: Youth: Dear Gil, we don't need everyone because our club is blessed with good people and development systems that can deal with shite decisions and turn lead into if not gold, then at least silver and a few other precious metals. Thanks for nothing you spineless jelly and don't let the door hit you when you trip over Eddie on your way out.
3: Defence: Mah boys! Group hug. Have been outstanding in a year when most of us thought it would be our Achilles heel. And in the few games when they've had a shocker have shown steely resolve to respond next game. Can't ask for more. To have an almost revolving door due to injuries and still maintain the best defence is outstanding and a credit to them.
4: 56k plus members. Money in the bank for the club. Move back to the SCG has proved our club listens.
5: Pridham. Admits he's not comfortable in the limelight but is fearless in his role when required. Had massive shoes to fill but has been fantastic. Thanks Andrew!
+1: I don't know the name of a single Pokemon or what they look like:p

Last edited:
1: Buddy appears to enjoying his footy. I can't say that's a fact, but above all else he received support to bring a long standing issue for him out into the open. And it seems to have helped him. I don't care about his KPI's, the fact our club has an environment that allows our players to seek and receive the help they need is beyond measure and we/club all benefit in the long run.
2: Youth: Dear Gil, we don't need everyone because our club is blessed with good people and development systems that can deal with shite decisions and turn lead into if not gold, then at least silver and a few other precious metals. Thanks for nothing you spineless jelly and don't let the door hit you when you trip over Eddie on your way out.
3: Defence: Mah boys! Group hug. Have been outstanding in a year when most of us thought it would be our Achilles heel. And in the few games when they've had a shocker have shown steely resolve to respond next game. Can't ask for more. To have an almost revolving door due to injuries and still maintain the best defence is outstanding and a credit to them.
4: 56k plus members. Money in the bank for the club. Move back to the SCG has proved our club listens.
5: Pridham. Admits he's not comfortable in the limelight but is fearless in his role when required. Had massive shoes to fill but has been fantastic. Thanks Andrew!
She speaks the truth.

I caught Pikachu in my hotel room in Cairo last night. :thumbsu:He's a yellow electric rabbit/mouse.

I know you won't know or care, but i felt i had to tell someone. ;)

On topic and so my Poke-boast doesn't get deleted:
I have really liked that i do not have to fear that the team is heading for the old-man cliff that it seems Hawthorn and Norf are approaching. We have one of the youngest and most capable lists in the comp, and don't have to fear a slide/rebuild. We're going to be around next year, the year after, and for several years after that. Not many clubs can have that sort of optimism; that after over 10 years at the top of the league, we look like we could easily stay up for the next 5-6 based on the players we already have.

Love this club.

Positive for me this year is our defence. The most miserly in the competition. The last couple of years has been about how much we need some decent KPDs but it seems like the work is getting done.

Take a bow backline boys
Preach it brother!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I caught Pikachu in my hotel room in Cairo last night. :thumbsu:He's a yellow electric rabbit/mouse.

I have really liked that i do not have to fear that the team is heading for the old-man cliff that it seems Hawthorn and Norf are approaching. We have one of the youngest and most capable lists in the comp, and don't have to fear a slide/rebuild. We're going to be around next year, the year after, and for several years after that. Not many clubs can have that sort of optimism; that after over 10 years at the top of the league, we look like we could easily stay up for the next 5-6 based on the players we already have.

Love this club.
And (keeping it positive) it looks like we're not going to have the problem many believed was coming with the Buddy contract in the mass exodus of players. It looks like those young players you mention are slowly getting locked in and (hopefully) realise that if they stick around and work hard they will be rewarded with a spot. Yeah, no-one is handed a "free" game at our club but in the same regard we don't have a problem picking a bloke we think has the potential to play a role where no-one else was even willing to look at them. They don't need to be the "best" they just have to play their role, give the most they can and follow the teams rules. Simple.

Perfect example is Paps. To think got overlooked a few times is almost criminal when you watch his debut game. He showed how much he wanted to be there and has signed on for a few more years now. Hewett is the same. Snaffled him up before anyone else could even look at him, that's how much faith we've shown him. We've made a significant commitment out of our own pockets to develop NSW talent and now we are reaping some reward for all the time, money & effort in guys like Mills & Heeney. We showed them faith by actually investing in their development even with the chance they'd just go elsewhere.

We show faith in those who have been overlooked or undervalued and in return I reckon (more often than not) they show us that same kind of faith....

Teddy - No future at the dons. They made it very clear to him and couldn't see the jewel they had. All they had to do was give him a bit of a polish but no, they decided to keep it with the boys club and stay with the "fletch" & Co's of the world. Their loss. He comes here and becomes our general down back. We wouldn't have won in 2012 without him, Grundy & Smith who held us up the whole year.

JPK - No room at Hawks but also no commitment from the club he'd progress. Comes here and becomes more elite than the guys that were holding him out of that Hawks side at the time. Jokes on them.

Benny - No room for him at the Hawks either with Cyril and co. Fair enough... Comes here and plays career best footy. Hopefully a premiership awaits.

Laids - Was thrown around at Carlton and publicly shown zero confidence by MM. Comes here and is a ROCK down back.

Buddy - Hawks weren't willing to give a legend of their club, one of the greatest players of the modern era, an extra year or two. Even for less money I reckon if they'd just offered a year or two more and he'd have stayed there... They didn't show faith in his longevity or value. We did. And we are reaping the rewards and will continue to do so while their club declines into the nursing home.

Shaw - Was on a very dangerous path to a future out of footy were the Pies were more than happy to ignore that "ratpack" culture and allow their young men go off the rails so long as it didn't impact the headlines (& why would it with chief of footy media as president). Comes here and becomes a respected courageous team first player and leader.

Love this club.

"I caught pikachu in a hotel room" sounds like a bad Tinder date. :p

And (keeping it positive) it looks like we're not going to have the problem many believed was coming with the Buddy contract in the mass exodus of players. It looks like those young players you mention are slowly getting locked in and (hopefully) realise that if they stick around and work hard they will be rewarded with a spot. Yeah, no-one is handed a "free" game at our club but in the same regard we don't have a problem picking a bloke we think has the potential to play a role where no-one else was even willing to look at them. They don't need to be the "best" they just have to play their role, give the most they can and follow the teams rules. Simple.

Perfect example is Paps. To think got overlooked a few times is almost criminal when you watch his debut game. He showed how much he wanted to be there and has signed on for a few more years now. Hewett is the same. Snaffled him up before anyone else could even look at him, that's how much faith we've shown him. We've made a significant commitment out of our own pockets to develop NSW talent and now we are reaping some reward for all the time, money & effort in guys like Mills & Heeney. We showed them faith by actually investing in their development even with the chance they'd just go elsewhere.

We show faith in those who have been overlooked or undervalued and in return I reckon (more often than not) they show us that same kind of faith....

Teddy - No future at the dons. They made it very clear to him and couldn't see the jewel they had. All they had to do was give him a bit of a polish but no, they decided to keep it with the boys club and stay with the "fletch" & Co's of the world. Their loss. He comes here and becomes our general down back. We wouldn't have won in 2012 without him, Grundy & Smith who held us up the whole year.

JPK - No room at Hawks but also no commitment from the club he'd progress. Comes here and becomes more elite than the guys that were holding him out of that Hawks side at the time. Jokes on them.

Benny - No room for him at the Hawks either with Cyril and co. Fair enough... Comes here and plays career best footy. Hopefully a premiership awaits.

Laids - Was thrown around at Carlton and publicly shown zero confidence by MM. Comes here and is a ROCK down back.

Buddy - Hawks weren't willing to give a legend of their club, one of the greatest players of the modern era, an extra year or two. Even for less money I reckon if they'd just offered a year or two more and he'd have stayed there... They didn't show faith in his longevity or value. We did. And we are reaping the rewards and will continue to do so while their club declines into the nursing home.

Shaw - Was on a very dangerous path to a future out of footy were the Pies were more than happy to ignore that "ratpack" culture and allow their young men go off the rails so long as it didn't impact the headlines (& why would it with chief of footy media as president). Comes here and becomes a respected courageous team first player and leader.
Brilliantly put.

Take a bow backline boys
Great point. Add to that the fact that our backline has been without AJ, Talia, Teddy, Reid, Davis and Melcan and things are looking up if we can get a Whorethorn run of injuries.
I feel like Towers could be added to that list. Or atleast an honourable mention. Hes been good apart from a couple of brain farts
LOL. Very clever avatar but a little cruel.

Last edited:
I like that we have played 34 different players from our list this year. Only two of them are certain to be gone by this year (Teddy & McGlynn), and only two of them don't really have a claim on best 22 (Foote & Hiscox, though expect that to change in time).

It means we've got a very solid list to move forward with, with Mitchell looking like the only one whose a goner. Grundy and McVeigh will be the elderly statesman in 2017, but both play the kind of roles that don't exactly require the full package anyway. We know we have four decent ruck options, including one of the best in the comp at peak fitness (surely we can't have yet another shoddy year of ruck luck next season!). XR and Reid could both be fighting for marking forward roles next year. Our small forwards (Hewett, Papley, Rose, Heeney) will only get better, as they don't even have 50 games experience between them.

The fact we've unleashed a bunch of decent YOUNG forward options (Hewett, Papley, Rose, Parker, XR) and defensive options (Aliir, Marsh, Laidler, Jones, Rampe) means we have the freedom to be more flexible with two players we expect to have elite talent in Heeney and Mills. Both have thrived in their roles at opposing ends of the ground, and we know now that they can stay there and everything will be OK. But they're both good wildcards to have.

Our midfield group is still young. We have two players who, IMO, should be getting captaincy offers pretty soon in Hanners and Parker, plus Jack and Kennedy are still in their primes. If Mitchell leaves, who knows, we might get a mid with speed and great foot skills.

There basically isn't a weakness structurally. All over the magnet board, I have faith that another player or two can come in and fill a role if called upon. And it's important to remember in the first half of the year, I'd argue we had the best defender (Rampe), best midfielder (Hannebery), best ruck (Tippett) and best forward (Buddy) in the comp. of course that was pre-Hanners disposal woes, pre-Tippett's injury woes, and pre-Buddy's terrential climate woes. But it's a sign of what we're capable of if we can turn that stretch of nine or ten games into a decent month in September.

Hell, we haven't even won a flag and may not win it but this would have to be up there as one of the most enjoyable non-flag years a team could have. Pre-season expectations + influx of new faces + fact that everyone wrote us off + week-to-week efforts + unpredictability of the line-up each round = a very calming sense of relief, as though we've already accomplished something despite being in the top four hunt for something much bigger.

(This year could only get better if Goodes & Malceski were out there, and we beat Hawthorn by 120 points in the GF.)

John Longmire and team... take a bow!!! You guys have to be on your way to being legends!!

1. To blood 7 new players (and not have one of them look like they are not going to make the grade) in a single season where we are still fighting for second spot is a serious commendation to your ability, footy nous and skills.

2. Bringing Tippett to the point where but for injury he would surely make the AA list as ruck/forward is brilliant! I wonder did you have this in mind all along? (I'm still kind of iffy about Sinclair... but if you have the same kind of success with him we'll have the best ruck combo in the comp!!)

3. Rampe - The development of Rampe to AA defence level is again just sensational (and really, who would have thought??).

4. Mills, Heeney and Allir... To come into the AFL and hit the ground running takes serious preparation, and for all three of these players it has looked like they could be a permanent part of the team from the moment they set boot on the ground. Kudos boys!

This next five years is going to be seriously sensational!! What a great time to be a Swannies fan!!! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back