The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

Like everyone else i felt sorry for Waylon. The proverbial fish out of water. The irony is is that he has far more talent than the rest of the competition combined. Seeing Waylon trying to adjust to life in Melbourne reminds me of Mtt Rendell's comments about indigenous players struggling to adjust when drafted. He was hung out to dry, and all but branded a racist, but his comments were factual rather than racist. It stands to reason that a player drafted from the Northern Territory is going to have a harder time adjusting to life in the AFL, than a player drafted from Brighton Grammar.

The biggest issue with the show is that out of the two and a half hours aired so far, they've shown a combined 10 minutes of footage of the players actually kicking a football. Couldn't give a stuff about them jumping out of a helicopter, or carrying a raft down the beach. Get the footy's out.

Think Wagner is the standout. A 6'3 goal kicker should beat all the undersized midfielders, although the volleyballer and the ex-basketballer are both massive chances.

Certainly not having a go at you, but find it funny how so many people are talking about this "talent to burn" that Waylon has, however as you mention, there's been all of 10 minutes shown!

I agree too, Wagner looks the most likely

Is one of the better football reality shows. My biggest gripe is the actual talent they have selected.

A former state U18 player (Johann Wagner), a former US College Baller (Reece Maxwell), a former Australian volleyballer (Bradoe Foster) and a bloke who already plays high level football (Michael Huchinson plays for Aspley Hornets in the NEAFL and was a smokey to be picked up last year anyways)

What are they actually doing here? The scouting work for a cat 'b' rookie?

IT was suppose to be for the guys who have played footy all there life but never went on for one reason or another not last ditch chances to "make it".

For what its worth, my top 3 (at this very, very early stage are) Reece Maxwell [everyone loves an athlete who can already do those little things], Bradie Foster [who doesn't like a competitive tall?] and Ive got a feeling we will see a smokey like Chris Moreland who is a genuine footballer come through to the top.

FWIW, I really hope "DJ" gets booted very bloody quickly, him and "Gossy" can go start there own reality TV show all about them.

Like everyone else i felt sorry for Waylon. The proverbial fish out of water. The irony is is that he has far more talent than the rest of the competition combined. Seeing Waylon trying to adjust to life in Melbourne reminds me of Mtt Rendell's comments about indigenous players struggling to adjust when drafted. He was hung out to dry, and all but branded a racist, but his comments were factual rather than racist. It stands to reason that a player drafted from the Northern Territory is going to have a harder time adjusting to life in the AFL, than a player drafted from Brighton Grammar.

The biggest issue with the show is that out of the two and a half hours aired so far, they've shown a combined 10 minutes of footage of the players actually kicking a football. Couldn't give a stuff about them jumping out of a helicopter, or carrying a raft down the beach. Get the footy's out.

Think Wagner is the standout. A 6'3 goal kicker should beat all the undersized midfielders, although the volleyballer and the ex-basketballer are both massive chances.

Jack Package on the Essendon board suggest the AFL should invest in an Indiginous Scholarship program, similar to the fated NSW scholarship program from several years ago.

You aren't battling another sport for the hearts and passion of another code but simply helping battling youngsters get a better chance onto an AFL list.

If you had something like this, guys like Erin Wasely - Black and Willie Rioli could both have had very different years on AFL lists rather than fighting away for NT Thunder in the NEAFL.

But someone with bad kicking isn't going to affect other people and bring them down. I haven't seen it in AFL, but I've been in a few bands and someone that is just negative and lazy will bring the rest of the guys down to his level and prevent any work getting done.

Disagree. You're at practice and a bloke kicks it over your head or handpasses at your feet or gets in the way can bring a session down. In games a player fails to hit targets and causes turnovers.

I can't understand that the players are picking the bottom three to be delisted. Foster the big vollyballer has upside than a 178cm who isn't an elite runner.
Anyway, they got the right decision in the end.

About possible last 3
I was having a chat with a mate of mine who doesn't really follow footy, but he asked what I was doing, and I responded with 'just watched the new 'The Recruit' show.

His response was 'a mutual 'Yoey' I know is on that show, he went back not too long ago for the top 3' - I can't say if it's 100% true or not, but he doesn't know much about footy so I kinda believe him. They're both from Port Lincoln.

Waylan is such character unsure if he will make it or not,but clearly he has so much upside. Its really up to him if he wants to be a AFL player or even on a list there's only so much coaches etc can do for him.

While I agree with the sentiment that he's got it a lot harder than the others, is a fish out of water, felt sorry for him, etc.

All that considered, on merit, he should have been the first (or second) booted from the competition. He's been stone motherless last in every test and clearly lacks the fitness and drive to want it badly enough. Is this a product of his environment and upbringing? Most definitely and as Matt Rendell was hung out to dry he was absolutely bloody spot on. These kids just cannot handle the change in environment and the way of life down here.

That should not afford him an advantage over the other players in the competition and I think it's very quickly descending into a farce.

Waylan is such character unsure if he will make it or not,but clearly he has so much upside. Its really up to him if he wants to be a AFL player or even on a list there's only so much coaches etc can do for him.

While I agree with the sentiment that he's got it a lot harder than the others, is a fish out of water, felt sorry for him, etc.

All that considered, on merit, he should have been the first (or second) booted from the competition. He's been stone motherless last in every test and clearly lacks the fitness and drive to want it badly enough. Is this a product of his environment and upbringing? Most definitely and as Matt Rendell was hung out to dry he was absolutely bloody spot on. These kids just cannot handle the change in environment and the way of life down here.

That should not afford him an advantage over the other players in the competition and I think it's very quickly descending into a farce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the odds are against Waylon making it, but I don't think he deserved to be punted early from the competition. To go with the obvious cultural differences his fitness isn't up to scratch, but no 10 week reality show is going to change that.

As a fan watching the show I want to see them (potentially) identify guys who have the ability to contribute at AFL level. Tyrone who was axed last week to me looks like the sort of guy who is a dime a dozen in the state competitions. Average height, average pace, average skills - nothing to really get excited about. If he's not going to get drafted on state league performances then he's not going to get drafted. If - and it's a big if - they can get Waylon onto a list and through an AFL pre-season he could be anything.

If Waylen isn't gone in the next couple of episodes I'll stop watching. It's a joke watching him have to be carried by the whole group, whilst people who are giving it their all are getting cut and watching their dreams be smashed apart for a guy who couldn't even see himself being "the recruit".

If Waylen isn't gone in the next couple of episodes I'll stop watching. It's a joke watching him have to be carried by the whole group, whilst people who are giving it their all are getting cut and watching their dreams be smashed apart for a guy who couldn't even see himself being "the recruit".
They have enough duds on the show to eliminate before they get rid of the real talent .

'DJ' strikes me as the sort of guy who would kill it at the lower levels because of having AFL-standard (or close to it) endurance but would struggle at AFL level because he'd lose that advantage and lacks real explosiveness or long kicking etc. Being a bit of a bellend is the least of his worries. We've had some complete nimrods come and go through WC that have been guns.

So he's got self esteem problems.....& fitness is an issue. It's the first time he's been to a city. But as far as natural talent goes,waylons well ahead....that's why he's there. Fitness can b taught, but can Tyrone be taught not to be a sooky,self indulgent, arrogant lil brat? Not by getting an afl contract...though he'd prob fit right in wit the rest of the panzies. I don't think they'd choose waylon, just coz nothing will ever be more important than his community (don't expect white bred red necks to understand that) but I hope he wins, n I hope more that he doesn't read poxy lil chat sites that run him down. Go waylon!!!

So he's got self esteem problems.....& fitness is an issue. It's the first time he's been to a city. But as far as natural talent goes,waylons well ahead....that's why he's there. Fitness can b taught, but can Tyrone be taught not to be a sooky,self indulgent, arrogant lil brat? Not by getting an afl contract...though he'd prob fit right in wit the rest of the panzies. I don't think they'd choose waylon, just coz nothing will ever be more important than his community (don't expect white bred red necks to understand that) but I hope he wins, n I hope more that he doesn't read poxy lil chat sites that run him down. Go waylon!!!
That's a nice little ignorant racist rant there for your first post.

You should try pulling your head out of your arse for your second.

'DJ' strikes me as the sort of guy who would kill it at the lower levels because of having AFL-standard (or close to it) endurance but would struggle at AFL level because he'd lose that advantage and lacks real explosiveness or long kicking etc. Being a bit of a bellend is the least of his worries. We've had some complete nimrods come and go through WC that have been guns.

DJ has very good AFL endurance, don't listen to what Boomer said about running 16.5 beep, he is FOS. Port Adelaide had 5-6 guys run 16 beeps and that was the most in the AFL, I know Hawthorn had only 2 ( Hill and Smith). If you're running 14 beeps you're a freak athlete, hell if you're in the 13s you are super fit.

You racist black arse hole :confused:... Pull you're head in mate! It's not about color, it's about the sport. He has equal the opportunity as the other 'white' guys in the show, it's up to him to take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back