The Recruit

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't watch reality TV, with or without a footy theme. Saw just one snippet which was enough to remind me why I don't. Showed Ben Dixon balling out the players like a coach from the 1960's - even if it was for the effect, appalling stuff. Will be interested to see who wins and whether they are drafted but beyond that, not for me.

Don't watch reality TV, with or without a footy theme. Saw just one snippet which was enough to remind me why I don't. Showed Ben Dixon balling out the players like a coach from the 1960's - even if it was for the effect, appalling stuff. Will be interested to see who wins and whether they are drafted but beyond that, not for me.

Dicko's painfully staged "meltdown" is the highlight of the show so far. It was cringeworthingly brilliant.

Farewell Jackel. Good bloke.

If you wanted any evidence that being the "winner" of the Recruit will have nothing to do with football ability, you could have had it today watching Aspley defeat Redlands in the NEAFL semi-final.
Michael Hutchinson, who Vossy inexplicably de-listed in one of the early episodes, just shut out former Richmond Forward Cleve Hughes, in what was a key match up.
From what has been shown on the show to date, not one of the remaining contestants would have made it into either side in today's game, let alone play a winning hand.
If anyone is "drafted" from the show, it will be for publicity only.

ps Was Hutchy's de-listing Producer driven for dramatic effect, or did Vossy just think "I passed up on him previously, better do it again".

Or perhaps it was the kick up the arse that a talented but previously less motivated player might have needed. Good on him, but tbh one thing Vossy saw a lot of over the last 5 years was players who can tear it up in the NEAFL but can't cope in the AFL.

Or perhaps it was the kick up the arse that a talented but previously less motivated player might have needed. Good on him, but tbh one thing Vossy saw a lot of over the last 5 years was players who can tear it up in the NEAFL but can't cope in the AFL.

And none of the other contestants would even make a NEAFL side.
My point was more about the show, than having a pot-shot at Vossy.
Surely the Club Recruiters are not taking this seriously.

And none of the other contestants would even make a NEAFL side.
My point was more about the show, than having a pot-shot at Vossy.
Surely the Club Recruiters are not taking this seriously.
Johann Wagner has got a gig with Central Districts in a far better competition than the NEAFL and some of the others are doing really good things in the VAFA I think. Brady Foster played for GC reserves recently.
I've enjoyed seeing these guys improve and mature unexpectedly. I thought Manson wouldn't be able to handle it, Maxwell and Foster were just athletes and thought Semmel was far too limited. They've all proved me wrong. Waylen Manson lasted longer than I thought he would then stayed in Victoria afterwards. I don't think Hutchinson would surprise anyone or get to a level he wasn't already at. Vossy is looking to see who has the potential to be the best player in 3 years and realised that there's very little chance Hutchinson would be that player.

So final 3 are Brady, Johann and Chris Moreland.

Brady's dad being an old Fitzroy player.. could be a chance to go rookie with Lions? Also a QLD'er. We'd be super tall.

So final 3 are Brady, Johann and Chris Moreland.

Brady's dad being an old Fitzroy player.. could be a chance to go rookie with Lions? Also a QLD'er. We'd be super tall.
I'd be all for Brady but Archie is our 'project ruck' and 2 of them seems like overkill and we'd not be able to properly develop them in the 2s.

Padraig signed by Geelong for 2 years.
Good to hear. I thought he showed promise (from the very narrow view we were given). Good luck to him).

Does anyone know if all of the contestants can be picked up as Category B rookies, or just the final three, or just the winner?

If it's only the final three I can understand why Padraig was delisted, as he can already be picked up as an international rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assume Padraig because he is international so can just be signed. I would assume for the purpose of the show, only the winner will get officially selected tonight, however i'm sure the runner ups and probably even 1 or 2 others might get interest from a club, and could be picked up by them simply nominating for the draft.

So just to clarify, we cant pick anyone up tonight?

Brodie is a QLDer and his dad has Fitzroy connections.

Guess who I'm cheering for.

BTW how long do you reckon it will take for Youtube to be flooded with parodies of the Ben Dixon spray? I reckon whatboutbob, Mr Ripper and TheBrownDog could do it justice lol

Brodie is a QLDer and his dad has Fitzroy connections.

Guess who I'm cheering for.

BTW how long do you reckon it will take for Youtube to be flooded with parodies of the Ben Dixon spray? I reckon whatboutbob, Mr Ripper and TheBrownDog could do it justice lol

I'm with you Kezz.

Bradie Foster all the way

Yes bradie can be category b. so can that basketballer Reece.

Surprised only 3 clubs said they'd take Wagner.

One thing is that it only takes one club to be interested in the other players to fill a particular need whether it be height, speed, age profile, running ability, whatever.

You'd think someone would want bradie at least.

I think I'll apply for season 2. I'm sure not having played for 8 years won't hold me back. Look out for me on the Brisbane Lions rookie list in 2016. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back