Strategy The Ruck Conundrum

Aside from Richmond and Essendon we have the weakest rucks in the Finals. Jacobs, Mummy, Smith, Ryder, Gawn are leagues ahead of any combination of our three.

Maybe we should concede and just go with one and aim for more mobility. This will be crucial come the drier surfaces of September.

If we go this route, then an LRT type in Allir would come in. He could do some pinch hitting in ruck contests, add pace and marking around the ground.

If only Naismith could actually take a mark around the ground of just be competitive in a marking contest to bring it to ground

Imo he is not best 22
I agree with this... he may well become best 22, but has not yet reached that point.

Why do we talk about our rucks being effective "around the ground" ?? All our rucks do SFA around the ground. We're now taking 2 rucks into the finals. One who can ruck but sucks as a forward, and another who can't do anything unless he's playing St Kilda's horrible back line.

Thanks for your services in getting us to the finals Naismith!!

Sinclair had some really great taps to advantage today but overall you would have to say Kreuzer won that matchup with his groundwork and around the ground work.

Kreuzer definitely won but that's because he is a genuinely good footballer...Sinclair was still fairly solid overall. Shame about Kurt's ankle because he was on fire early.

I don't think Naismith would have faired any better against Kreuzer. Even prior to injury he was being comfortably beaten by the leagues better ruckmen. I'd like to see Sinclair hold his spot for the finals now.

I look to the historical connection Sinkers brings. The Weasels recruited him from our old brother club, the mighty Port Melbourne Boroughs. Port and South used to regularly swap players. We got the great Peter Bedford from them among many others. Growing up in the area, you supported Sth in the VFL and Port in in the VFA. The tradition continues.

Hey guys, sorry if not allowed, but how's Darcy Cameron going? I know he was doing well before he did his shoulder, Would he get a gig next year.

From memory, he was doing the bulk of the ruck work week in, week out and appeared to be improving steadily as a ruckman.

If Tippett leaves as is rumoured, he'll have a shot for sure against Sinclair and Naismith. Our ruck stocks are still so up in the air, someone like Cameron is talented enough to take a spot if he works hard enough.

If Tippett were to leave and we wanted a young guy to replace him, I'd go right for Oscar Mcinerney from Brisbane. I reckon he's gonna be a genuinely good senior player.
He was certainly impressive yesterday, they're very well stocked with Stef Martin along with Archie Smith and McInerney

I have nightmares of Hurley running off Tippett for easy possessions coming out of their defensive fifty. If we were to honestly go with a horses for courses strategy I would seriously consider dropping one ruck and only rolling with one with backup from Towers and maybe Reid and Parker around the ground.

I have nightmares of Hurley running off Tippett for easy possessions coming out of their defensive fifty. If we were to honestly go with a horses for courses strategy I would seriously consider dropping one ruck and only rolling with one with backup from Towers and maybe Reid and Parker around the ground.

Yes. With our Naismith and Sinkers combo last time, Hurley pushed forward at will. Kicked a massive goal, and was almost a match winner around the ground.

Needs to be contained.

He was certainly impressive yesterday, they're very well stocked with Stef Martin along with Archie Smith and McInerney

I didn't see him play yesterday (though I heard he played really well, ha also won the Lions' NEAFL player of the year), but through the year I saw bits and pieces of him and he seem like a real player. Mobile as hell, skillful and a good feel for the game.

Brisbane are rumoured to be losing Stef Martin to go home to Victoria and also suggested to be in for Mason Cox, so you'd think one of Smith or McInerney are gettable. I'd have either of them gladly. Who knows if either of them would want to come to Sydney though given Naismith, Sinclair, Cameron and Tippett (at least for now) are our ruck stocks.

ed4143c48ce93d7d7c9af37dd0cccf5b.jpg

Back