Media The SFA is no place for outdated marketing

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was a youngster a local sports store known as Stacks advertised it was closing down, being a fan of the store, and concerned it would be my last chance to shop at my favourite store I rushed down with my hard earned cash from working at McDonalds (or possibly Target, I'm fuzzy on details) and I bought a load of sports gear.
This closing down store lasted months and wouldn't you know they re-opened about 2 weeks after they actually "closed" as Stacks 2. They got me. This was the 90's and I was young and naive. Over the years I've seen many retailers try this exact tactic, there is a Carpet store in Sydney that ran an TV campaign advertising their closing down sale for over a decade.

Fake endings aren't restricted to dodgy retailers and are prevalent in the music industry for almost a century. The audience is supposed to think that the big bands have finished their set without playing their biggest hit only to come back out minutes later for a fake encore that was always going to happen. For christ sake, quit the pretence and play your set.
The other tactic, which relates closely to the behaviour sneaking into the world of sweet, is the fake retirement. This has been going for seemingly ever, from Dame Nellie Melba to John Farnham and the Rolling Stones the farewell tour is a staple of the music industry. It also makes those trying to make them self relevant by threatening to go a way a laughing stock.
The fans have been mocking Dame Melly (which of course is before my time but Im sure Grand Uncle Horace can confirm) and John Farnham for the many, many farewell tours and subsequent almost immediate comebacks.

You all know where this is going, the Bombers and their fake retirements. First KohPhi and more recently BLUEALLTHRU have both resorted to this lame tactic of a bygone era in an attempt to garner attention and make themselves relevant. Im sure these 2 aren't the first to try this, they are however the most recent.

There was a time where this sort of tactic may have bought some short term attention, but ultimately, the fake retirement leads to the general public thinking of you as the punchline of a joke much like John Farnham and that carpet store.

it is time to leave lame fake retirements in the past where they belong.

Last edited:
When I was a youngster a local sports store known as Stacks advertised it was closing down, being a fan of the store, and concerned it would be my last chance to shop at my favourite store I rushed down with my hard earned cash from working at McDonalds (or possibly Target, I'm fuzzy on details) and I bought a load of sports gear.
This closing down store lasted months and wouldn't you know they re-opened about 2 weeks after they actually "closed" as Stacks 2. They got me. This was the 90's and I was young and naive. Over the years I've seen many retailers try this exact tactic, there is a Carpet store in Sydney that ran an TV campaign advertising their closing down sale for over a decade.

Fake endings aren't restricted to dodgy retailers and are prevalent in the music industry for almost a century. The audience is supposed to think that the big bands have finished their set without playing their biggest hit only to come back out minutes later for a fake encore that was always going to happen. For christ sake, quit the pretence and play your set.
The other tactic, which relates closely to the behaviour sneaking into the world of sweet, is the fake retirement. This has been going for seemingly ever, from Dame Melly Melba to John Farnham and the Rolling Stones the farewell tour is a staple of the music industry. It also makes those trying to make them self relevant by threatening to go a way a laughing stock.
The fans have been mocking Dame Melly (which of course is before my time but Im sure Grand Uncle Horace can confirm) and John Farnham for the many, many farewell tours and subsequent almost immediate comebacks.

You all know where this is going, the Bombers and their fake retirements. First KohPhi and more recently BLUEALLTHRU have both resorted to this lame tactic of a bygone era in an attempt to garner attention and make themselves relevant. Im sure these 2 aren't the first to try this, they are however the most recent.

There was a time where this sort of tactic may have bought some short term attention, but ultimately, the fake retirement leads to the general public thinking of you as the punchline of a joke much like John Farnham and that carpet store.

I was definitely leaving and if not for kickthething , I'd be gone now.

The other tactic, which relates closely to the behaviour sneaking into the world of sweet, is the fake retirement. This has been going for seemingly ever, from Dame Melly Melba to John Farnham and the Rolling Stones the farewell tour is a staple of the music industry. It also makes those trying to make them self relevant by threatening to go a way a laughing stock.

Goose, I'm a bit worried you suffered too many head knocks playing league.
How are you confusing Target (a discount department store) with McDonalds (a fast food place)!?!

Poor Pugsley's retirement forgotten already. 😭

deadwood GIF by HBO

Confirmed. Nellie Melba was the mistress of the tactic.

Pugsley also faked a retirement.

I really think relevance deprivation disorder afflicts these Bomber folk. Give them two weeks in the slammer for not even creating Bellbird standard drama. Repeat offence, off with their heads and send the remains to Wu’s pigs.

Dame Melly Melba
I mean Grandmaster Melle Mel rapping Madame Butterfly would be crazy, but you may have mixed the guy that rapped The Message & White Lines with the woman on the $100 bill.

Anyhoo, enter my bingo contest.

Goose, I'm a bit worried you suffered too many head knocks playing league.
How are you confusing Target (a discount department store) with McDonalds (a fast food place)!?!
I worked at both. Not sure of the exact time Stacks fooled me, so unsure which I was working with at the time.

I really think relevance deprivation disorder afflicts these Bomber folk. Give them two weeks in the slammer for not even creating Bellbird standard drama. Repeat offence, off with their heads and send the remains to Wu’s pigs.

I fake plenty of things, Horrie. I'm a people pleaser.

Grand Uncle Horace - seem to remember my Grandfather saying something crass about what Dame Nelly Melba
used to gargle before her performances. Could you enlighten me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grand Uncle Horace - seem to remember my Grandfather saying something crass about what Dame Nelly Melba
used to gargle before her performances. Could you enlighten me.
Does this mean what I think it does?
That would have been very, very scandalous in that era

kickthething really seems to be the glue holding Baghdad together this season. Perhaps he should take over the captaincy. Might finally have a competent captain for once.
We've got one. The man, The myth and The legend. VeinGlorious and if you went head to head with him, well lets just say your tiny little smooth brain would explode.

kickthething really seems to be the glue holding Baghdad together this season. Perhaps he should take over the captaincy. Might finally have a competent captain for once.
Why would we deviate from what has worked for so long??

Stupid call.

This thread has made me think about things.

I think I'm done. I'm calling time folks.

It's been great.
campaigner, you've cried wolf more than any poster on BF. Shut up and sit down, no one believes you.

campaigner, you've cried wolf more than any poster on BF. Shut up and sit down, no one believes you.
I don't need this..

Last game coming up...

now Im more confused, I was thinking BJ, now run to paradise is a song is about heroin.
Forget about "Run to Paradise" and think about the name of the band and your first idea.

Also, anyone wondering - you cannot defame the dead in Australia.

20-1-23-Gorkie-for-Crikey-defamation-of-dead-1.jpg

Forget about "Run to Paradise" and think about the name of the band and your first idea.

Also, anyone wondering - you cannot defame the dead in Australia.

20-1-23-Gorkie-for-Crikey-defamation-of-dead-1.jpg
This is stuff Ive never heard before.

This is stuff Ive never heard before.
I went to the Victorian College of the Arts once upon a time. This was a well known legend among those studying opera.
Pretty sure if you can be bothered digging on Google you'll find it. Trust me, it's true.

EDIT: I was not studying Opera there just so there are no misunderstandings.

Last edited:
This is scurrilous….we have never been in better hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back