Media The SFA is no place for outdated marketing

Remove this Banner Ad

I was given a $20 Brashs voucher six months before it went into receivership.

One minute, Tony Barber is your brand demigod. The next minute, you're $80m in debt and dissolving into thin air.

Sometimes we just can't predict what's around the corner.
Brashes!
Now that is a blast from the past.

For the youngsters, Brashes was kinda like JB Hi Fi

Brashes!

I had my sights set on the latest release Roxette CD. Sometimes you just don't appreciate what you've got until you're unable to buy it and are instead left with a useless piece of cardboard.

Brashes!

So generous that you’re thinking of the youngsters like me:love:

I had my sights set on the latest release Roxette CD. Sometimes you just don't appreciate what you've got until you're unable to buy it and are instead left with a useless piece of cardboard.
Are we talking "have a nice day" era Roxette, which Im guessing coincides with the downfall of Brashes

Are we talking "have a nice day" era Roxette, which Im guessing coincides with the downfall of Brashes
I’m going to say it was well past their Super Mario movie soundtrack era, so I’m thinking we’re in the ‘Mariana-deep dive post shark jump’ career phase.

I’m going to say it was well past their Super Mario movie soundtrack era, so I’m thinking we’re in the ‘Mariana-deep dive post shark jump’ career phase.
They recovered after that, that was early 90's not long after joyride, they had some decent stuff late 90's and early 2000's

Think they kept putting stuff out much, much later than that as well

I was given a $20 Brashs voucher six months before it went into receivership.

One minute, Tony Barber is your brand demigod. The next minute, you're $80m in debt and dissolving into thin air.

Sometimes we just can't predict what's around the corner.

Ahhh.. That brings back memories.

A young, fresh faced 21 year old KohPhi met Tony Barber when I appeared on Sale of the Century in 89.
I didn't do too well. The lighting in the studio was such that it highlighted Alyce Platt's nipples and I couldn't concentrate.

A young, fresh faced 21 year old KohPhi met Tony Barber when I appeared on Sale of the Century.
I didn't do too well. The lighting in the studio was such that it highlighted Alyce Platt's nipples and I couldn't concentrate.
I had you pegged more the Delvene Delaney era :)

A young, fresh faced 21 year old KohPhi met Tony Barber when I appeared on Sale of the Century.
It was a simpler time.

When I was a youngster a local sports store known as Stacks advertised it was closing down, being a fan of the store, and concerned it would be my last chance to shop at my favourite store I rushed down with my hard earned cash from working at McDonalds (or possibly Target, I'm fuzzy on details) and I bought a load of sports gear.
This closing down store lasted months and wouldn't you know they re-opened about 2 weeks after they actually "closed" as Stacks 2. They got me. This was the 90's and I was young and naive. Over the years I've seen many retailers try this exact tactic, there is a Carpet store in Sydney that ran an TV campaign advertising their closing down sale for over a decade.

Fake endings aren't restricted to dodgy retailers and are prevalent in the music industry for almost a century. The audience is supposed to think that the big bands have finished their set without playing their biggest hit only to come back out minutes later for a fake encore that was always going to happen. For christ sake, quit the pretence and play your set.
The other tactic, which relates closely to the behaviour sneaking into the world of sweet, is the fake retirement. This has been going for seemingly ever, from Dame Nellie Melba to John Farnham and the Rolling Stones the farewell tour is a staple of the music industry. It also makes those trying to make them self relevant by threatening to go a way a laughing stock.
The fans have been mocking Dame Melly (which of course is before my time but Im sure Grand Uncle Horace can confirm) and John Farnham for the many, many farewell tours and subsequent almost immediate comebacks.

You all know where this is going, the Bombers and their fake retirements. First KohPhi and more recently BLUEALLTHRU have both resorted to this lame tactic of a bygone era in an attempt to garner attention and make themselves relevant. Im sure these 2 aren't the first to try this, they are however the most recent.

There was a time where this sort of tactic may have bought some short term attention, but ultimately, the fake retirement leads to the general public thinking of you as the punchline of a joke much like John Farnham and that carpet store.

it is time to leave lame fake retirements in the past where they belong.
C3676E19-4676-4DA2-84D3-E9C5811C1DC6.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back