Resource The Sponsorship Contract Thread - Manufacturers, Jumpers, Shorts and Matchballs.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017-AFL-Revenues.jpg

Of relevance to us here is the minuscule amount Merchandise makes up in a club's revenues.
(of those that reported them at all)
And that doesn't include profit on merchandise, which I think would be somewhere near half of what the revenue is.
50% profit margin is actually not a bad little return.

Compare what Carlton makes from all merch, let alone White, Baby Blue or Wolf-Dog Blue jumpers, with what they make out of pokies.
Or Essendon, who traditionally not only have the largest range of jumpers each year, (Home, Away, Anzac, Cancer, Indig & Country) but also have the most supporters, and one of the better supporter to merch. sales ratios (based on older information)

2017-AFL-Revenues.jpg

Of relevance to us here is the minuscule amount Merchandise makes up in a club's revenues.
(of those that reported them at all)
And that doesn't include profit on merchandise, which I think would be somewhere near half of what the revenue is.
50% profit margin is actually not a bad little return.

Compare what Carlton makes from all merch, let alone White, Baby Blue or Wolf-Dog Blue jumpers, with what they make out of pokies.
Or Essendon, who traditionally not only have the largest range of jumpers each year, (Home, Away, Anzac, Cancer, Indig & Country) but also have the most supporters, and one of the better supporter to merch. sales ratios (based on older information)

I dont think the clubs are getting 50% margins

Remember reading on here (forget where) it was said that the tigs were only getting $20-30 on each post gf jumper being sold

Geelong seem to do comparatively well with their merch sales, I assume it would have something to do with a dedicated two story club shop at their home ground which has a captive market of 30k nine times a year. It is huge and its always packed. I am sure revenue at a place like this would be better than the dodgey tent outside Etihad or the MCG that club stores get even with a crowd twice the size.

Would I be right in assuming merch sales from places like the MCG Superstore and Etihad's Beyond Sport are not counted towards club revenue?

I dont think the clubs are getting 50% margins

Remember reading on here (forget where) it was said that the tigs were only getting $20-30 on each post gf jumper being sold
Possibly true.
Seems the branding of a club
Geelong seem to do comparatively well with their merch sales, I assume it would have something to do with a dedicated two story club shop at their home ground which has a captive market of 30k nine times a year. It is huge and its always packed. I am sure revenue at a place like this would be better than the dodgey tent outside Etihad or the MCG that club stores get even with a crowd twice the size.

Would I be right in assuming merch sales from places like the MCG Superstore and Etihad's Beyond Sport are not counted towards club revenue?
Correct. 4.667% of those sales is included in the AFL Distribution to clubs

Change is good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hate this phrase. I really, really do. It should be "change is good, if it can improve on what already exists." Change for the sake of change is how you end up losing the wings guernseys for 16 years.

Wouldn't be surprised if BHP become the new major sponsor - they already sponsor the Naitanui program etc.

I hate this phrase. I really, really do. It should be "change is good, if it can improve on what already exists." Change for the sake of change is how you end up losing the wings guernseys for 16 years.

Wouldn't be surprised if BHP become the new major sponsor - they already sponsor the Naitanui program etc.
mock up from you please ;)

Well.....obviously changing for the sake of changing would be stupid however this isn’t on our terms it’s SGIO who have pulled the plug, so I mean what is the club supposed to do ? It is sad in the sense that both the club and SGIO have so much history, but footy is no longer just a game it’s a business, I would personally be delighted to have bhp on board ! I want what’s best for the club not what looks familiar on a footy jumper. With the new logo and new stadium it’s the change we need we got a new generation of supporters coming through, besides we just got back hungry jacks, and the wings are here to stay with colours in there rightful place home and away, so all is not lost these are exciting times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a new CEO or Marketing dude who doesn't care enough about footy or see it being viable.

I know we only got Jeep originally as the CEO was a mental Tigers fan, and after he left we had to negotiate a bit to get the current deal signed.
Am I correct in thinking Nike and Carlton was a similar situation?

In a deal believed to be worth more than $2 million a season, The Age can reveal that Amart has signed on as the club’s new co-major sponsor, replacing Kia, with the car manufacturer disappointed not to be continuing its relationship with Essendon.

It’s believed the partnership between Amart and Essendon is for at least four years.

German car Giant BMW were also in discussions for several months with Essendon, but eventually pulled out after Amart continued to improve its offer to the club.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/amart-replaces-kia-in-2m-mega-deal-for-dons-20180821-p4zyvv.html

In a deal believed to be worth more than $2 million a season, The Age can reveal that Amart has signed on as the club’s new co-major sponsor, replacing Kia, with the car manufacturer disappointed not to be continuing its relationship with Essendon.

It’s believed the partnership between Amart and Essendon is for at least four years.

German car Giant BMW were also in discussions for several months with Essendon, but eventually pulled out after Amart continued to improve its offer to the club.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/amart-replaces-kia-in-2m-mega-deal-for-dons-20180821-p4zyvv.html
Re: in that article it states this on the bottom.

In sponsorship news at Hawthorn, fellow German car maker Audi has seen its deal with Hawthorn come to an end.

The partnership, which is believed to be worth $1 million a season for the Hawks, may be renewed on a smaller scale but Audi is unlikely to be Hawthorn’s shorts sponsor for 2019.

Toyota extends partnership with the crows until the end of 2023
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-05/toyota-extends-partnership

Interesting to note that it says that their logo will remain on the front of the guernsey, possible new sponsor getting on board next year?

That would feel really weird having something other than Toyota or one of its brands on the back. Other than the first few years when there was no sponsor, its only been the 2009 EF that had something different.

Other options are that it means the brand logo is on the front, but there will be models on the back; or it could just be lazy writing. Watch this space I guess.

Gibbsy, Sherrin have released images of the 2019 game balls, with some changes to sponsors (and other expired contracts continuing), along with a few status quos:

Adelaide: Domain (new for 2019)

Brisbane: TechnologyOne (new for 2019)

Carlton: Grunt (same as 2018)

Collingwood: United (same as 2018)

Essendon: Yakult (same as 2018)

Fremantle: Sullivan Logistics (new for 2019) (two logos - standard + Forever Freo)

Geelong: Simonds (same as 2018)

Gold Coast: Huawei (same as 2018)

GWS: Flexigroup (same as 2018)

Hawthorn: Bupa (same as 2018)

Melbourne: Hayme's (same as 2018)

North Melbourne: Chemist Warehouse (same as 2018)

Port Adelaide: Oak Plus (same as 2018)

Richmond: United (same as 2018)

St Kilda: AVJennings (same as 2018)

Sydney: Blu Emu Car Park (same as 2018)

West Coast: IGA (same as 2018) (gold AFL logo replacing standard AFL logo)

Western Bulldogs: Victoria University (same as 2018)

Gibbsy, Sherrin have released images of the 2019 game balls, with some changes to sponsors (and other expired contracts continuing), along with a few status quos:

Adelaide: Domain (new for 2019)

Brisbane: TechnologyOne (new for 2019)

Carlton: Grunt (same as 2018)

Collingwood: United (same as 2018)

Essendon: Yakult (same as 2018)

Fremantle: Sullivan Logistics (new for 2019) (two logos - standard + Forever Freo)

Geelong: Simonds (same as 2018)

Gold Coast: Huawei (same as 2018)

GWS: Flexigroup (same as 2018)

Hawthorn: Bupa (same as 2018)

Melbourne: Hayme's (same as 2018)

North Melbourne: Chemist Warehouse (same as 2018)

Port Adelaide: Oak Plus (same as 2018)

Richmond: United (same as 2018)

St Kilda: AVJennings (same as 2018)

Sydney: Blu Emu Car Park (same as 2018)

West Coast: IGA (same as 2018) (gold AFL logo replacing standard AFL logo)

Western Bulldogs: Victoria University (same as 2018)

Cheers! I feel like both Adel and Bris have had those sponsors on gameballs in the past? Not at home so can’t consult my database but they definitely both spark memories, Domain were shorts sponsor up until this year right?

Cheers! I feel like both Adel and Bris have had those sponsors on gameballs in the past? Not at home so can’t consult my database but they definitely both spark memories, Domain were shorts sponsor up until this year right?

Yeah Domain were shorts for the last few years, I had heard that they had dropped down to take Hertz’s spot for the gameballs but hadn’t seen any confirmation yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back