Toast The Stevie J 250 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They always do. Fortunately he avoids getting sucked in by very cunningly being suspended for those games (oh s**t, this is a toast thread). But his performances have been off the charts time and again recently.

His 2011 QF against the Hawks might have been the quintessential Johnson game. Tear your hair out frustrating for most of the game (I vividly remember Ling giving him an almighty spray after Johnson decided to give a torpedo a whirl from outside 50m and not coming within 20m of the goals) shanked almost every shot at goal that he had, and yet there was a five minute passage during time on in the third quarter where we banged on four goals, taking the lead from under a kick to nearly 30 points. Johnson was prominently involved in all four and he ripped Hawthorn's heart out. By the end of the game, he had 27 disposals, 7 marks and 1.4.

Since that game, he's played against the Hawks six times (including last year's QF, when he was clearly underdone) and he's averaged 26 disposals and nearly two goals.
His first half against the hawks In 13 prelim was some of the best footy ive seen played in a big game, slowed a tad in the second half but still an extraordinary performance

Assuming that he comes straight back into the side
I'd assume he does... at his worst he still is a better/more dangerous option than half the blokes in the team

I'd assume he does... at his worst he still is a better/more dangerous option than half the blokes in the team

Can't agree with that. His worst is actually stupefyingly atrocious.;)

And that goes for both the 'million to one' options that he'll choose to try and break the game open (resulting in a turnover that leaves several Cats players out of position) as well as the incessant ill-discipline that has seen him suspended way too many times in recent years.

All that said, he is a champion of the club and will be remembered extremely fondly by Cats fans everywhere.

For me, no Geelong player has come close to producing such a rich amalgam of the dazzling and the deplorable.

And often both appear within the same passage of play.:cool:

Anyway, cheers for all of it, Dogga. It's certainly never been dull.

Sometimes I want to slap him, sometimes I want to hug him. The life and times of following Stevie J.
As others have said, if we are to pull off a big upset this weekend SJ will be right amongst it. He's played some marvellous games when we've needed them most - a number of them against the Hawks.

My favourite SJ moment was grand final week 2011... he looked gone for all money in the prelim. I thought there was no way he would possibly get up for the grand final. To have not only played, but to have kicked four crucial goals, goes down as one of the most important moments in the club's history.

He had the Midas touch that day.

34 disposals
9 marks
4 tackles
6 inside 50s
5 clearances
7 goals
10 goal assists

That last number is not only a AFL record, it's a statistical anomaly in the recorded history of goal assists. The discrepancy between SJ and the second best in the all-time table is a full three GA's; I can't see anyone even coming close to that any time soon.

He seems to be as familiar with these doors as Kardinia Park's::D

external

May have been close to 350 games as well if not for that familiarity.:D
Somehow I think those enforced breaks contributed to him actually getting to 250.

They always do. Fortunately he avoids getting sucked in by very cunningly being suspended for those games (oh s**t, this is a toast thread). But his performances have been off the charts time and again recently.

His 2011 QF against the Hawks might have been the quintessential Johnson game. Tear your hair out frustrating for most of the game (I vividly remember Ling giving him an almighty spray after Johnson decided to give a torpedo a whirl from outside 50m and not coming within 20m of the goals) shanked almost every shot at goal that he had, and yet there was a five minute passage during time on in the third quarter where we banged on four goals, taking the lead from under a kick to nearly 30 points. Johnson was prominently involved in all four and he ripped Hawthorn's heart out. By the end of the game, he had 27 disposals, 7 marks and 1.4.

Since that game, he's played against the Hawks six times (including last year's QF, when he was clearly underdone) and he's averaged 26 disposals and nearly two goals.
My reference was to the future MC.

I find it amazing that he has only played 50 more games than Joel! But that may be because he has missed about 50 games through suspension :p:$.

Here is my favourite highlight from SJ:

he also broke his ankle during that infamous night at the pub in which he jumped a fence and landed wrongly on the other side. The other ankle was also hurt so he's lucky both ankles were not broken that day. Not sure how many games this took away from him though. Does look as though he struggled to play consecutive games for a good five years. was averaging about 13 games a season until 2007 rolled around.

Don't disagree but it has to be said those who mark performances at the club - per the Carji - don't appear to be as enamored.

Yes, I've noted that in the past.
It doesn't alter my opinion.
Blokes who build up a bit of baggage early in their career with club powerbrokers often find it impossible to get rid of it, in all levels of football.

Pray for no silliness this w/e SJ...then again it is the hawks, then agaiiiin we want him fronting up for our last two very important games.
Loved every minute of him on the big stage, as frustrated as his suspension's have been.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes, I've noted that in the past.
It doesn't alter my opinion.
Blokes who build up a bit of baggage early in their career with club powerbrokers often find it impossible to get rid of it, in all levels of football.

As I've said, think he's been sublime for us. Still recall the enormous cheer that went around the 'G' when he walked past the members at the 'G' after dislocating his kneecap and looking out of the GF and his effort in the GF soon after under quite some difficulty.

That said, those who know better than us rate players using different criteria and with team knowledge we don't possess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've said, think he's been sublime for us. Still recall the enormous cheer that went around the 'G' when he walked past the members at the 'G' after dislocating his kneecap and looking out of the GF and his effort in the GF soon after under quite some difficulty.

That said, those who know better than us rate players using different criteria and with team knowledge we don't possess

There is no doubt that they have clearly been using different criteria to us - or, at least, to me - and also to the umpires, for that matter.

Yes, give me the independent observers every time.:thumbsu:
Each to his own. Much prefer trained football minds who know the roles given to players and can measure those roles against established criteria. Then there's the umpires who struggle with the rules let alone the intricacies of the game. :)

Anyway, we are drifting away from the toast. SJ has been great for the club and given us some wonderful memories.

Does anyone have the gif that was floating around early in the year showing the skill Boris has by hand where after getting a 35metre handball of Boris, Sj pulls a kick across his body and hits a target lace out

No one else in the comp would have even saw the option, let alone had the ability to pull off the kick

Does anyone have the gif that was floating around early in the year showing the skill Boris has by hand where after getting a 35metre handball of Boris, Sj pulls a kick across his body and hits a target lace out

No one else in the comp would have even saw the option, let alone had the ability to pull off the kick

epichandball2.gif

When I think about what SJ did by getting suspended - he's managed to spread out the 2 major milestone games and also managed to get his 250th against non other than Hawthorn. Only SJ could pull off a mistaken benefit in this way.

Pray for no silliness this w/e SJ...then again it is the hawks, then agaiiiin we want him fronting up for our last two very important games.
Loved every minute of him on the big stage, as frustrated as his suspension's have been.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I've also enjoyed his run-ins with the mrp.... in a way. On here anyway. I get to work on me arguing skills: "He hardly even hit him!", "The other guy started it.", "Doesn't count as it was a Hawthorn player."

In the 2010 final against Collingwood, SJ helped stop the rot. It would have been a 100+pt drubbing if it weren't for him and to a lesser extent Wojo. He broke our pattern of pitty pat passing backwards in the midfield which just helped the Pies forward press no end. It was sometime in the second qtr, and SJ just started streaming out of the centre a couple of times belting it into the 50. This changed our game (it woke us up) and it prevented a slaughter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back