History The term 'Gin' to refer to indigenous females

Remove this Banner Ad

OP might need to get out more, pretty sure in another thread they reckoned that the shortening to 'Abo' was perfectly fine.
Think I prefer the sort of company that doesn't use the term 'Gin' based on what I've read in this thread.

When is an abbreviation racist compared to not?

Abo, Paki, Jap - none are considered OK.

I wouldn't have thought Indo or Argie for example is particularly offensive.
Its the cultural connotations that obtain on the way. In Australia a Paki has usuually meant genuinely that they are either a pakistani cricketer or they are from pakistan, in the uk, the connotations are entirely different and the term is really racist. Most pejorative terms are pretty innocuous if you stick strictly to literal definitions.

Nyungar people from my area still call each other Nyungars and don't mind if white people do either.

I think it's actually a word that's been reclaimed. I remember kids using it as an insult in the 80's, but modern Nyungar people are proud to call themselves that.
Offense to terms describing aboriginality seems to be cyclical, generational possibly.
Black fella and white fella used to be accepted, by both groups, not that long ago.
Seems to have waned though.

Offense to terms describing aboriginality seems to be cyclical, generational possibly.
Black fella and white fella used to be accepted, by both groups, not that long ago.
Seems to have waned though.
This is why I find it so stupid - it's all about the intent of the person using the word. Words become taboo when people use them to denigrate others - nothing inherent in the word. Once a term becomes so socially unacceptable to use, someone wanting to denigrate will find another term and eventually that will become unacceptable to use and so on. It's a pointless circle.

Its the cultural connotations that obtain on the way. In Australia a Paki has usuually meant genuinely that they are either a pakistani cricketer or they are from pakistan, in the uk, the connotations are entirely different and the term is really racist. Most pejorative terms are pretty innocuous if you stick strictly to literal definitions.
A good friend of mine's nickname is "Paki" - it is a short version of his surname which is 6 or 7 syllables long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't really copped this one since it's more directed at females

However i remember at the bank once when i was about 9ish with my mum (not full blood) let another lady through who had 2 kids crying and a taxi cut in front who was also aboriginal. And one of the ladies walking out after this happened told us "You gins do stick together", was an older lady at the time.

It's not really common one in the younger generation

Noongar would only be offensive if you use it to describe other Aboriginal tribes outside the South West of WA. Akin to calling a Canadian a Yank.

Woman in Noongar is Yok or York....I am happy to have not heard the word Gin in open use in the last 10 years.

All the Noongars I know are very proud of it....I am however just a Wadjila.

Victorians, I have found on the whole just don't really seem to come into contact with Aboriginals that much. As a percentage of the population they seem to be far less than rest of Australia bar Tasmania.

Here's the breakdown, percentage of state population. As per 2011 census.

NSW 2.9
Vic 0.9
Qld 4.3
WA 3.6
SA 2.3
Tas 4.9
ACT 1.7
NT 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back