The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully McClaren is stressing to the other board members how badly we need a striker in who can score.

I'm more confident right now than last season - I think the squad is stronger and with a better manager (Carver lol). That being said, we can't afford to take another gamble like last season and 'hope' we have enough to stay up (remember it took to the final game to secure our safety).

We need to get a PROVEN PL scorer - Remy or even Bony on loan would be fantastic. Doesn't need to break the bank as both are just desperate to play (Remy in particular has his sights set on the France squad for the Euros). All our recent games - Arsenal, West Ham and Watford, we've had plenty of chances to score but couldn't convert them. Can't afford to not take our chances given our league position.

I'm not too fussed if we miss out on Townsend at this stage. Has barely played this season and I'm not sure he'd be able to make much of an instant impact. Couple that with the crazy amount Levy seems intent on wanting and I think we can/should shop around. A loan would be ideal but I'd be wary of paying the large sum being bandied about in the media.

I'm more confident right now than last season - I think the squad is stronger and with a better manager (Carver lol). That being said, we can't afford to take another gamble like last season and 'hope' we have enough to stay up (remember it took to the final game to secure our safety).

Strangely I feel the same, even though we've been basically stuck in the bottom 3 for the whole season. I feel there are worse teams than us directly above us but we're just not getting the results.

Strangely I feel the same, even though we've been basically stuck in the bottom 3 for the whole season. I feel there are worse teams than us directly above us but we're just not getting the results.

It's weird isn't it? I think this season's squad is stronger than it was this time last year. We've effectively lost Jonas, Raylor, Kemen, Sammy, Cabella and Abeid for Gini, Mitro, Mbemba, Thauvin, Shelvey, Saivet and Toney - i know on talent which group I'd rather have.

Definitely agree that there are teams around and above us who we are better than. If not for an inability to convert chances, we'd be breathing a bit easier.

That being said, I'll still be a tad worried if we haven't strengthened the attack before the window shuts! :p

Oh man, we just need a bloody scorer. I read something interesting today that Lacazette has only scored 6 goals from open play all season in the Ligue 1, that's nothing to be to excited about. Charlie Austin has already paid his worth ( 4 mill MY GOD ) with a goal within 5 minutes, that guy can seriously find the back of the net. I would be happy to go all out for Remy on loan for the remainder of the season, he was brilliant for us a few years back and you never know he may want to stay if he re-connects with the fans and the club, he was certainly a favourite when donning the shirt.

Don't understand the Austin thing at all that we weren't in there nuts and all to grab him.So many decisions make it a bloody difficult club to support.
Dumb s**t year after year.Hope the campaigner sells it before it's completely pharked.

Woken this morning to the news of Townsend on his way for a medical.. He posted a tweet with a picture of him leaving Tottenham training base, the deal is all but done!

Now bring in a bloody finisher.

Yep Andros is done. Still whispers about us signing a striker (be it Remy or Lacazette, would take either).. normally I wouldn't believe them but to be fair, we've spent a bit of money this season. Let's hope it is all for something!

Yep Andros is done. Still whispers about us signing a striker (be it Remy or Lacazette, would take either).. normally I wouldn't believe them but to be fair, we've spent a
bit of money this season. Let's hope it is all for something!

Man, I'm getting so excited about our squad but friggin hell we need to stay up. The way we are paying for players and paying wages is Man City / Chelsea like, if this is going to be the norm for the future then how much do we have to look forward to?

I think we should baulk at Lacazette and go Remy, at least we know he bangs them in for fun at this level and he won't need time to settle.

Just save us and let's reload for 16/17

Looks like it will be 12m for Townsend. He's jetted into toon and just needs a medical.

Happy to have him but a bit skeptical of the price tag - our recent record with wingers is pretty worrying. Cabella (bought for 9m, sold for 8m), Thauvin (bought for 12m and seemingly being sent out on loan) and now Townsend for 12m. Over 30m on wingers so hopefully Townsend can finally be a bit of a hit :D

Need a striker in these last few days. Looks like the Remy talk is heating up but Chelsea want 12m for him - everyone's starting to fleece us! :confused:

I'd try for a loan as Chelsea seem like they will be getting Pato. If not, 12m isn't the worst amount to pay given our survival is at stake. Remy is a proven performer.

Also, Shane Ferguson's been sold to Millwall I believe. Always liked him when he first burst onto the scene but sadly didn't kick on (or got lost in the shuffle under Pards).

Saw this yesterday - given we have about a dozen players in the physio room, not sure this is a good idea! Oh well, should be good for McClaren to tinker with his best team.

At the moment, I think it would be something like:

----------------Elliott-------------
Janmaat--Mbemba--Colo--Dummett
Sissoko--Colback--Shelvey--Townsend
----------------Gini----------------
----------------Mitro---------------

Would love to squeeze Perez into that team somewhere - maybe move Sissoko to CM with Shelvey (Colback to the bench) and push Gini wide with Perez playing up top with Mitro?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...newcastle-united-sunderland-set-meet-10788608

Saw this yesterday - given we have about a dozen players in the physio room, not sure this is a good idea! Oh well, should be good for McClaren to tinker with his best team.

At the moment, I think it would be something like:

Would love to squeeze Perez into that team somewhere - maybe move Sissoko to CM with Shelvey (Colback to the bench) and push Gini wide with Perez playing up top with Mitro?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...newcastle-united-sunderland-set-meet-10788608

Colback has given absolutely nothing this season, he hasn't got a goal or an assist and averages 0.5 key passes per game, he should be playing in the reserves. Saivet seems to do everything that Jack does as well as being a 100x better tackler, given the fact hell protect the back 4 better Id like him to play.

Love to slide Perez into that side to, just hard given the fact both he and Mitro haven't slotted them and Perez doesnt really have a hold up game.

I think we should baulk at Lacazette and go Remy, at least we know he bangs them in for fun at this level and he won't need time to settle.

In our current predicament I agree - Lacazette's upside is definitely higher, but Remy is a proven performer both for us and in the EPL overall.

Is Dummett fit? Lascelles played ok but the 3 CBs didn't work for us.

Colback has given absolutely nothing this season, he hasn't got a goal or an assist and averages 0.5 key passes per game, he should be playing in the reserves. Saivet seems to do everything that Jack does as well as being a 100x better tackler, given the fact hell protect the back 4 better Id like him to play.

Agree, Colback has been ordinary this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In our current predicament I agree - Lacazette's upside is definitely higher, but Remy is a proven performer both for us and in the EPL overall.

Remy definitely should be our number 1 priority IMO. Cheaper than Berahino and proven in the PL for a few clubs (including us) compared to Lacazette who hasn't hit the heights of last season.

A loan would be good but if Chelsea want to sell, I'd be interested in having him longer term (albeit he's 29 I think). We've tried in the past but he's never really seemed keen to stay permanently unfortunately.

Is Dummett fit? Lascelles played ok but the 3 CBs didn't work for us.

Not sure when he's back but probably our best LB in the squad at the moment. Wish we still had Santon lol.

Was quietly impressed with Lascelles but he's not really a LB. Think he can fill in at RB but CB is his calling.

Agree, Colback has been ordinary this year.[/QUOTE]

Yep - sorry I was guilty of thinking with an 'England' cap on haha. Read a few articles re Townsend toasting the new 'British' core the club is trying to get.

Colback's been underwhelming this season for sure. Definitely would prefer Saivet or Anita on current form.

Hopefully Mbabu can make that position his own!

Forgetting Haidara, he is a kid as well! Lighting quick and loves to get forward, he is just immature and finds himself out of position to much. Mbabu I have hopes of becoming a CB given how strong ( 80kg ) and athletic he is and being 182cm he is not to small albeit would be on the smaller side for a CB. I just love how much athleticism the kid has, he has a massive leap as well, I think we have a super talent there.

I rate Haidara as the best of Mbabu and Dummett for attacking but he's definitely a bit suspect in defence!

Mbabu I think is a CB naturally so hopefully will continue to progress. I don't mind Dummett being a local lad either but I think he's a better CB than a LB.

Problem is with Mbabu playing CB, Mbemba isn't very tall either and we will be found out in the air. From the very limited viewing I've had of Mbabu, he looked to me like someone that could also play CDM.

Now a striker please! :D
JS81310904.jpg

Problem is with Mbabu playing CB, Mbemba isn't very tall either and we will be found out in the air. From the very limited viewing I've had of Mbabu, he looked to me like someone that could also play CDM.

CDM would be an interesting experiment. I actually think Colo wouldn't be a bad CDM. He has a good range of passing and is pretty gifted technically. Add in his defensive mindset and he might be a decent option - think he has played there in the past.

If we got another CB to partner Mbemba, or Lascelles comes on; I wouldn't be against it though hopefully Saivet makes the position his own.

Also, apparently we lost the behind closed doors derby 6-0!

I know its only a friendly and we apparently played a weak side (a handful of fringe players) against a relatively stronger Mackem side but still, 6-0!? That's a tad worrying! :confused:

I always refer back to the Puyols/Cannavaros of the world, if you're good enough you'll make it work. I think the thing with Mbabu is he has great athleticism so jumping for those high balls might not be the biggest of problems for him. I like the kid, I think either way we have a real talent on our hands and the fact we are talking about him in a range of positions says plenty of his quality.

Ridiculous we even played them in a friendly.

Was very bizarre to say the least. I hope its a case of the Mackems going in strong and us playing a weak side to give a few players a run out...I think Taylor only played 30 odd minutes so we probably (hopefully) didn't take it too seriously! :D

Thankfully doesn't seem anyone got injured.

By the way - I just realised Mbabu's 182 cm is the same height as Mbemba. Would be 2 athletically gifted (albeit shorter) CBs with good jumps on them.

Imagine the possibilities for a nickname if they formed a fearsome CB pairing - Mb2 :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back