The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Game vs Gillingham is a good chance for Haidara to get a chance too because Pards seems hell bent on just picking Dummett. Having said that, Dummett was a bit better against Villa.

I hope Ferreyra gets a start too, we desperately need SOMEONE to score for us, Riviere hasn't looked particularly likely at all.

I doubt we'll see Sammy or Armstrong vs Gillingham though, both played last night. Aarons didn't play in the PL or last night, so you'd assume he plays against Gillingham.

Good point on Ferreyra! I think I read we would be using the same 20 man squad from the Villa game but if that's not the case, would be great to try and give Ferreyra, Perez and even Riviere some minutes to hopefully open their accounts for us and give them some confidence to take into the Palace game.

Baulked at getting the thing that makes all the other signings make real sense because it's the most expensive piece of the jigsaw-someone who puts it in the net.:oops:

Easily the most frustrating thing isn't it Scon? Build a nice little squad but when you need those final 1 or 2 pieces that could ultimately make a big difference between pushing towards the top 6 and just making up the numbers, Ashley's hands stay in his pockets...

I guess he found his cheque book again :p:(

Good point on Ferreyra! I think I read we would be using the same 20 man squad from the Villa game but if that's not the case, would be great to try and give Ferreyra, Perez and even Riviere some minutes to hopefully open their accounts for us and give them some confidence to take into the Palace game.

Yep, we need to get something happening with our strikers, just playing Riviere on his own each game is madness, he's not up to it at this point.

Well the Gillingham game was embarrassing. We failed to score AGAIN!

Everton signed Eto on a 2 year deal, Pool got Mario and Angel is at Man Yoo and we still can't bring a decent forward to the club. We are really better off playing Ben Arfa up front by himself, at leas he can finish and create his own chances, the way we look going forward we will be lucky to get a shot on target against Palace.

I'm getting nervous.

On a positive note - the OG that sent us through was scored by an ex Scumberland player apparently :D

Saw a few rumours last night we are looking at both Welbeck and ex Cardiff striker Cornelius so maybe we are trying to get another striker in before the window shuts...

Ferreyra an unused sub. Why wouldn't we have given him a run with the reserves the other night?

...At least we didn't lose 4-0 to MK Dons... :p

Louis Vaan Gal is a Malthouse type figure, he is mostly loved by his players but is a relentless freak. United won't be down for to long, they couldn't have brought in a better manager, the facts are their squad so poor at the moment they will be lucky to finish in the top 7-8. No-one can get results without the cattle.

Lads there is young dutch attacker by the name of Memphis Depay ( he was the guy that came on and scored against us at the world cup) at PSV, he had a great world cup, he has scored 5 times in the Erevedersie in 3 matches and wouldn't cost the world, what's better is he is 20 years old and has a wicked strike. Why aren't we moving heaven and earth for a guy like this? Lacazette we missed out on, now we have another guy plying his trade in an average league who wouldn't cost an arm yet there seems to be no new movement on anyone let alone Depay.

I'm just getting desperate for a good striker.

Welbeck would be an upgrade but his wages would be beyond us. To think Everton are able to pay wages to Eto and we can barely entice Loic Remy with an offer really knocks the confidence around a bit.

Cisse will re-enter the fray at some stage but has to be seen as an unknown quantity after knee surgery.Wellbeck has talent but as you say bit pricey for Mike.There is improvement in the side once De Jong,Cabella and Riviere settle but a frontman completes a very improved squad.I hope it doesn't come down to us having to unload someone like Obertan who's reportedly on silly money for another couple of seasons.
Don't like the noises Pardew's making after Gillingham about his strikers just needing a break.
Anyway I want Memphis!The club needs Memphis!:D:D

Introducing MEMPHIS DEPAY:a complete EPL strikeforce just in his name!!:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Why not though.
At least we should be looking at him and I'm sure we will be.There's still hope while the window's open.
Memphis and Loic will do.;)
Otherwise it could easy be a long frustrating season I reckon;once again aspiring for tenth:rolleyes::(

Yeah I am a fan of Depay, have been following him a bit and he would be great. Would fit in with our other Dutch players too. Not a massive fan of Welbeck and as you said his wages would be a stumbling block for us.

Cisse will re-enter the fray at some stage but has to be seen as an unknown quantity after knee surgery.Wellbeck has talent but as you say bit pricey for Mike.There is improvement in the side once De Jong,Cabella and Riviere settle but a frontman completes a very improved squad.I hope it doesn't come down to us having to unload someone like Obertan who's reportedly on silly money for another couple of seasons.
Don't like the noises Pardew's making after Gillingham about his strikers just needing a break.
Anyway I want Memphis!The club needs Memphis!:D:D

Introducing MEMPHIS DEPAY:a complete EPL strikeforce just in his name!!:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Why not though.
At least we should be looking at him and I'm sure we will be.There's still hope while the window's open.
Memphis and Loic will do.;)
Otherwise it could easy be a long frustrating season I reckon;once again aspiring for tenth:rolleyes::(

Depay would be a sound investment for Ashley, he's like that 2 year old Colt with impeccable pedigree ready to unleash into his 3 year old season and increase his stud value buy 300%. Go get him Mike!

Oh man, I'm getting so sick of reading Pardews interviews. The guy is the most deluded moron in the PL, honestly he has NFI.

I've been a huge fan of Lee Clarke for a long time, id love to see the club invest in someone like him and I've got no doubt he'll be on the radar if Pardew continues to show friggin zero tactical nous. Thoughts of Clarke?

I'd be over the moon with Remy, I just don't see why he wouldn't want to come? It seems like every top notch player who comes to the North East hate the place and never want to return! The women are easy, the clubs are brilliant and the city is picturesque. I don't get it. Only thing I can think off is either our management is retarted or the isolation of the city.

Watching Celtic v Maribor and Van Dyke is certainly better than anything we've got and would be a real addition;complete centre back package,hard and stylish;commands the airwaves,reads it with great concentration,breaks it up and counters very effectively.He's got the lot!
Memphis resigned for 3 or 4 years with PSV so we may have missed the boat there,if we really are still looking.
"Deluded moron" works for me.Never had any time for him and after that infantile headbutting episode his credibility and value is zero with me.
Enjoyed Clark as a player but don't know enough about him to really judge his coaching ability.He could head up a Geordie revolution with Keegan Director of Football and Shearer heading up the consortium which buys Cashley out.:D:thumbsu::rainbow:
Ben Arfa is saying he wants to stay so Pardew can piss off.:)
http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/6029785/newcastle-0-2-city-tactics-and-trends

Last edited:
Agree of Pardew - I just take most of his comments with a large pinch of salt these days. Just spin and dribble most of the time. Would love to see Clark return one day as manager (maybe in 6 years once Pardew's current deal is done lol) but think he needs a bit more experience (he's still young so no rush). Pardew playing Dummett ahead of Haidara, Sissoko as a winger...just no idea really.

Saw the Gillingham highlights and we actually looked not bad - Haidara had a well struck thunderbolt that forced a great save, De Jong was stiff not to score 1 or 2 and even Obertan did a few nice things with dribbling and pace (he had the assist for the OG) - though perhaps that was due to playing against player more on his level!

So we've also drawn Milang_Panthers boys - Crystal Palace in the next round. Suspect we'll get done by playing a weakened team. Incidentally, we play Palace this weekend and they've just appointed Warnock as their new manager I believe.

Ben Arfa apparently has told teammates he wants to stay and fight for his place - great stuff IMO, hopefully involved this weekend as we need a bit of magic to get things happening.

Abeid (who played in the Cup) has also had a bid for him rejected after being told he has a future at the club.

Read somewhere that the club hasn't given up on Remy or Lacazette either though I can't see either coming - maybe if we struggle against Palace, we'll try and panic buy someone before the window shuts?

Agree of Pardew - I just take most of his comments with a large pinch of salt these days. Just spin and dribble most of the time. Would love to see Clark return one day as manager (maybe in 6 years once Pardew's current deal is done lol) but think he needs a bit more experience (he's still young so no rush). Pardew playing Dummett ahead of Haidara, Sissoko as a winger...just no idea really.

Saw the Gillingham highlights and we actually looked not bad - Haidara had a well struck thunderbolt that forced a great save, De Jong was stiff not to score 1 or 2 and even Obertan did a few nice things with dribbling and pace (he had the assist for the OG) - though perhaps that was due to playing against player more on his level!

So we've also drawn Milang_Panthers boys - Crystal Palace in the next round. Suspect we'll get done by playing a weakened team. Incidentally, we play Palace this weekend and they've just appointed Warnock as their new manager I believe.

Ben Arfa apparently has told teammates he wants to stay and fight for his place - great stuff IMO, hopefully involved this weekend as we need a bit of magic to get things happening.

Abeid (who played in the Cup) has also had a bid for him rejected after being told he has a future at the club.

Read somewhere that the club hasn't given up on Remy or Lacazette either though I can't see either coming - maybe if we struggle against Palace, we'll try and panic buy someone before the window shuts?

With the side we had in we should have put 2-3 past Gillingham, the fact we couldn't find the back of the net is really concerning. We should be having 60% possession and 10 shots on target against opposition like that, we are just currently very very poor and if we don't start finding goals we will be talking relegation instead if Europe.

Clarke would be great but as you said he is inexperienced. He had a brilliant career managing at Huddersfield, on a shoe string budget nearly got them to the championship on 3 occasions but for some reason was sacked. His winning % is top shelf as an overall but has taken a dip at Birmingham, which IMO can't be blamed for, he really is in charge of a sinking ship, that club is broke and nose diving down the divisions.

If we don't score this week, or if we score yet concede and fail to win then the mutterings will become screams for the sacking of Pardew. I'm not sure how he's still got a job, when supporters up and leave games in protest then surely that's enough for the guy himself.

The funny thing is that he still has a chance to do something with the club, we bring a scorer and we shore up that defence and win this weekend then things look more positive. I want to see Ben Arfa and the left and Cabella on the right, that'd get Pardew some browny points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the side we had in we should have put 2-3 past Gillingham, the fact we couldn't find the back of the net is really concerning. We should be having 60% possession and 10 shots on target against opposition like that, we are just currently very very poor and if we don't start finding goals we will be talking relegation instead if Europe.

Clarke would be great but as you said he is inexperienced. He had a brilliant career managing at Huddersfield, on a shoe string budget nearly got them to the championship on 3 occasions but for some reason was sacked. His winning % is top shelf as an overall but has taken a dip at Birmingham, which IMO can't be blamed for, he really is in charge of a sinking ship, that club is broke and nose diving down the divisions.

If we don't score this week, or if we score yet concede and fail to win then the mutterings will become screams for the sacking of Pardew. I'm not sure how he's still got a job, when supporters up and leave games in protest then surely that's enough for the guy himself.

The funny thing is that he still has a chance to do something with the club, we bring a scorer and we shore up that defence and win this weekend then things look more positive. I want to see Ben Arfa and the left and Cabella on the right, that'd get Pardew some browny points.

True enough but I guess it's good we progressed - quite a few other PL teams stumbled. You get the feeling if we had won 2 or 3-0, everyone would be a bit calmer - certainly a lot of pressure on Pardew now though heading into the Palace game.

I'd love to win but would almost be worth losing if it meant Pardew is sacked and someone better brought in (was very lucky to keep his job after the end of last season). You're right though tige, with a couple more signings (a proven scorer and a quality CB), he could potentially lead us up the table. I think De Jong will be a big factor in how we go - get the feeling he'll be a better version of Nolan and chip in with a few goals.

Ben Arfa and Haidara into the side and I'll be pleased! We might have Tiote back too who I think with Colback will give us a lot of stability and control in the middle. It's just a matter of trying to sort out the front half - I guess that's natural when you have 3-5 odd new players (Cabella, De Jong, Riviere, Perez, Ferreyra...) and trying to find the best combination for them/get them used to playing with each other (in a new league).

Yeah just hoping we can get something out this game to get our season going.
On the League cup draw, was hoping to get Brighton to be honest, who's home game was it? Haven't looked yet?

Your home game mate! Given how highly the club rate's the cup competitions, would expect you'll progress to the next round!

Rivière either scores or parks his bum on the bench! 4 games without hitting the back of the net is a drought to long for us. Ferryeyra will need to come in, and he has a few games otherwise it's odious back Ukraine son. We need to be ruthless!

New and improved bid for Remy! He could be our savior, here's hoping.

If everyone's fit, this is what I'd like to see:

-------------Krul-------------
Janmaat---Colo--Willo--Santon
-------Tiote---Colback-------
Ben Arfa---De Jong---Cabella--
------------Cisse-------------

Hopefully Cisse and Santon return strongly from their injuries. No room for Sissoko, he has been poor.

Some talk that Yanga Mbiwa could be loaned out to Marseille - would that open the door for a new CB to come in?

Hats off to Colback too - named in the England squad!

1920054_292756057595387_2182202302417254328_n.jpg

Team for Palace - good to see Haidara getting a chance. Sissoko at CM next to Colback could be good and interested to see De Jong's home debut!

Krul
Janmaat Colo Willo Haidara
Colback Sissoko
Cabella Siem Gouffran
Riviere

No huge complaints about that team! Ferreyra not even in the squad, not sure what is going on with him.

You must have had a pretty awesome day BTW NUFC Tiger - hope you can top it off with a big NUFC win!!

No huge complaints about that team! Ferreyra not even in the squad, not sure what is going on with him.

You must have had a pretty awesome day BTW NUFC Tiger - hope you can top it off with a big NUFC win!!

Haha you're not wrong mate! 4th time we will play finals in my lifetime, so pumped! Just need the Toon to make it a perfect weekend!

Very interesting about Ferreyra...surely wouldn't be far off match fitness? Thought Ben Arfa might sneak into the squad but doesn't look like he made it in either.

Haha you're not wrong mate! 4th time we will play finals in my lifetime, so pumped! Just need the Toon to make it a perfect weekend!

Very interesting about Ferreyra...surely wouldn't be far off match fitness? Thought Ben Arfa might sneak into the squad but doesn't look like he made it in either.

Got plenty of Tigers mates and they are all going nuts - was a crazy game!

Pards too bloody stubborn - thought HBA might have sneaked into the team, ah well. We better score early! De Jong hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back