The umpiring error that cost us our season

Remove this Banner Ad

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I know everyone has commented on this elsewhere, but seriously think we are not giving this moment the respect it deserves by not having its own thread.

All year as supporters, we have bitched and moaned about AFL/umpiring interference that seemingly continued to derail our season. This overturned goal however is, by far, the worst example of it as the system which failed us is meant to be the safest and most accurate in the entire league. Definitive proof is required to overturn a goal. As of yet the AFL has provided no such proof.

The below fan footage to me totally debunks any possibility to "definitive" proof, as this video to me clearly shows its a goal.

People need to remember that he is kicking this from literally 5m out. The ball has barely any distance to travel.

The first shot shows the ball hitting his boot. note the time. 11 seconds

4.png

The 2nd shot show the ball inside the post on its way -through

1.png

The 3rd shot shows it alongside the post, without actually hitting it. If the ball was hitting the post as they say, then why the F did it not hit it at this point?

2.png

This 4th shot where people say "its over the post" clearly have no idea of scale, but also how long it takes a footy to go 5m when kicked by a powerful person. This shot the ball is CLEARLY past the post.The scale of the post vs Ball is so far our its not funny, the footy looks like a cricket ball ffs. To also believe that this shot shows its "over the post" means you would have to believe the Lynchs kick which had to travel 5 meters to 2 full seconds to complete its journey through the goals from foot to passing the goal line. That is just not possible.

3.PNG

I know nothing can change now, but this has literally been the center of all our bitching all year. If we want this s**t to stop, we need to make it clear - we know we were ****ed.we know the AFL broke their own protocol to make it happen. We expect the AFL to actually provide the proof they drew from to overturn the call, and it must be more definitive than this video / pics to over-rule it.

Just gutted to lose like this. There is no reality where the ARC should have overturned that, especially from the footage we saw them checking & especially within 20-30 seconds.

People wondering why the call came so fast? Because if they took longer they know we would have set up more of a zone behind the ball and we would have locked it in. They made a quick call when everyone was expecting a goal, which allowed the Lions an easy chance to move the ball down the field.

Just gutted - quite literally we were robbed of this one. All year we felt this. It was why i stopped watching games live. Its why despite the final being played on my doorstep, i avoided going - i just knew there was no way i would go to that ground and leave feeling like i watched a game played and won fairly. 2022 was a joke of a season for Richmond fans

Attachments

• 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    494.8 KB · Views: 240
I don't know if it was a goal/not a goal. What I do know is that the umpire's call was a goal, and there was no chance in hell that in 30 seconds there was clear and irrefutable evidence of it being a point. Therefore it should not have been overturned.

Huge mistake that the AFL swept under the rug, to avoid admitting an ARC score review error cost a club it's season.

Second part of my post, is that ultimately I don't think an enormous amount of damage is done. Once Prestia went down, you could rule a line through our 2022 flag hopes, and the way our defence leaked so many points, we'd have very likely been rolled by Sydney/Melbourne next week anyway.

Another final would have been great, but that's probably where it ended regardless.

Still, * the AFL.

The AFL got what they always wanted, Lions to continue on in the finals.
The stats don't lie, we get treated differently to other teams when it comes to umpiring.
Before the game last night I mentioned to my son that we are going to be ****ed because we weren't wearing our away Guernsey.
For some reason I always feel it makes a difference, I could be wrong but it's just a hunch.
The only way the AFL will ever learn is to take it legal.

I don't know if it was a goal/not a goal. What I do know is that the umpire's call was a goal, and there was no chance in hell that in 30 seconds there was clear and irrefutable evidence of it being a point. Therefore it should not have been overturned.

Huge mistake that the AFL swept under the rug, to avoid admitting an ARC score review error cost a club it's season.

Second part of my post, is that ultimately I don't think an enormous amount of damage is done. Once Prestia went down, you could rule a line through our 2022 flag hopes, and the way our defence leaked so many points, we'd have very likely been rolled by Sydney/Melbourne next week anyway.

Another final would have been great, but that's probably where it ended regardless.

Still, * the AFL.
Eh, like you said, we weren't winning next week anyway without Prestia. We just got put out of our misery earlier.

People will say get over it we lost but its still too raw for me.

1662095881763.png

That second screen grab, the ball has gone behind the post otherwise we wouldnt see the post, if the ball was next to the post like in top screen then yeah you could say it was still going over the top.

This decision is bullshit and for the AFL to come out only a few hours after the match and give it the all clear in a s**t attempt to hose down the speculation is pure crap. No wonder people have conspiracy theories when this s**t happens and the AFL try and cover it over with amateur responses. (Body language WTF? Yeah ok but anyone see Andrews in the same body image pic? FFS Also Lynch was probably asking why Andrews came off his line while he was kicking).

AFL are so worried about umpire criticism that they will just blatantly make s**t up in the hope it sounds good. They will be counting down the hours to tonight's game so they can move on and hope we all forget.

Last edited:
Eh, like you said, we weren't winning next week anyway without Prestia. We just got put out of our misery earlier.
Sorry Nostra. I don’t buy this. There’s clear advantages to keep going. Prize money for one, but more importantly finals experience for our youngsters, and on top of that the chance of our opposition having bad luck like us last night. Any team can have three injuries in the first quarter and game on. As we know (and are living the nightmare today), s*it can happen to any team.

Sorry Nostra. I don’t buy this. There’s clear advantages to keep going. Prize money for one, but more importantly finals experience for our youngsters, and on top of that the chance of our opposition having bad luck like us last night. Any team can have three injuries in the first quarter and game on. As we know (and are living the nightmare today), s*it can happen to any team.
True.

Let's forget about the post for a minute. Why was Andrews allowed to run over the mark when he was kicking it?
Common sense or something. Who knows what these clowns think anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match Fixing.
Basketball Wives Agree GIF by VH1

The below fan footage to me totally debunks any possibility to "definitive" proof, as this video to me clearly shows its a goal.

Many are saying on the net that this video proves the ball went over the post, am I seeing something they're not?

Debate raged on Friday about whether Lynch’s shot was a goal or behind as video shot from a fan in the stands appeared to show the ball definitely travelled over the goalpost.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/a...r/news-story/07a586177269ea446794d5c75b061f56

I know everyone has commented on this elsewhere, but seriously think we are not giving this moment the respect it deserves by not having its own thread.

All year as supporters, we have bitched and moaned about AFL/umpiring interference that seemingly continued to derail our season. This overturned goal however is, by far, the worst example of it as the system which failed us is meant to be the safest and most accurate in the entire league. Definitive proof is required to overturn a goal. As of yet the AFL has provided no such proof.

People need to remember that he is kicking this from literally 5m out. The ball has barely any distance to travel.

The first shot shows the ball hitting his boot. note the time. 11 seconds

View attachment 1497233

The 2nd shot show the ball inside the post on its way -through

View attachment 1497214

The 3rd shot shows it alongside the post, without actually hitting it. If the ball was hitting the post as they say, then why the F did it not hit it at this point?

View attachment 1497218

This 4th shot where people say "its over the post" clearly have no idea of scale, but also how long it takes a footy to go 5m when kicked by a powerful person. This shot the ball is CLEARLY past the post.The scale of the post vs Ball is so far our its not funny, the footy looks like a cricket ball ffs. To also believe that this shot shows its "over the post" means you would have to believe the Lynchs kick which had to travel 5 meters to 2 full seconds to complete its journey through the goals from foot to passing the goal line. That is just not possible.

View attachment 1497221

I know nothing can change now, but this has literally been the center of all our bitching all year. If we want this s**t to stop, we need to make it clear - we know we were *ed.we know the AFL broke their own protocol to make it happen. We expect the AFL to actually provide the proof they drew from to overturn the call, and it must be more definitive than this video / pics to over-rule it.

Just gutted to lose like this. There is no reality where the ARC should have overturned that, especially from the footage we saw them checking & especially within 20-30 seconds.

People wondering why the call came so fast? Because if they took longer they know we would have set up more of a zone behind the ball and we would have locked it in. They made a quick call when everyone was expecting a goal, which allowed the Lions an easy chance to move the ball down the field.

Just gutted - quite literally we were robbed of this one. All year we felt this. It was why i stopped watching games live. Its why despite the final being played on my doorstep, i avoided going - i just knew there was no way i would go to that ground and leave feeling like i watched a game played and won fairly. 2022 was a joke of a season for Richmond fans

I’ve got to say, this is one of the most ambiguous kicks in the history of the game. I think it’s nearly impossible to determine if it would have scraped the post if they were hypothetically higher

Still, the “process” let us down dramatically

This footage proved it was a point for mine. Slow it down and you can see that the ball is infront of the post the entire time before going up and over. The AFL lucked into making the right call.

By the evidence on the night it was a Goal as the ump called it as such and the review was rather inconclusive and not Definitive enough. Almost certain that they need to get an ex-AFL player in the Arc like the FIA do with the stewards at F1 race weekends.

This footage proved it was a point for mine. Slow it down and you can see that the ball is infront of the post the entire time before going up and over. The AFL lucked into making the right call.

By the evidence on the night it was a Goal as the ump called it as such and the review was rather inconclusive and not Definitive enough. Almost certain that they need to get an ex-AFL player in the Arc like the FIA do with the stewards at F1 race weekends.

not sure how you can watch that footage and think that. I've taken the stills - its pretty much impossible. To believe the ball went over the post would mean you believe it took 2 full seconds to make a 5m journey. Its just not feasible.

The reality is the ump called it a goal. This is the best footage we have seen and its far from conclusive. The only point where the ball appears directly above the post is 2 seconds after he has kicked it - which means at that point the ball has travelled beyond the post.

The kick was from 5m out ffs - how long do people think a ball takes to travel that far

No point going on about this

Move on

No point following the game period if you think like that. We play the game by the rules they stipulate - and then they change those rules to suit their whim in a final and you want to sit on your hands?

This is what is s**t about the current times. Everyone wants to bitch. Everyone wants to moan. But no one wants to enter an argument or conversation that they can't win or can't be won. Arguments or going over errors, faults is not about resolving the problem. Its about making the error accountable so that it never happens again.

For 12 months we have seen this club get ****ed by calls. Totally, utterly rooted by calls. We all saw it. We all yelled at Dimma to speak up, make a scene about it - because we all knew that it would eventually be our death if we let it continue.
\
And what happened? We said nothing, did nothing - and here we are. Season is over. For all the boys "effort" -we finished 7th, lost the first final & ended the season exactly where i said we would, achieving nothing that was worth the decision to roll it over" one more time".

Get a spine mate. Fight for your club like you ******* fight for Dan Rioli's reputation. Club just got totally cheated and you want to move on. Mouth breather at its worst IMO

Unless you want this s**t to keep on happening, then the club either makes a big song and dance about it to realize you wont be bullied by the league - or you sack Dimma. As i said all year, as long as he is head of this ship, we will not get a break. And no breaks we got - our season literally ended on another one of their "every 50/50 call you will lose"

Anyone who just wants to accept this result and move on as fast as possible from what is clearly a incorrect call - is just helping the AFL sweep it under the carpet. Pathetic supporter if you ask me. You can't just live your life sitting in the sun and ignore the storms that sit above your head.

In years to come - when we are much much older than we are now ...

Some journo will headline 'AFL Corruption in the early 2000's' - with a series of interviews of faceless people claiming to be umpires, committee members etc etc - who have finally 'Broken their silence' (I hate this phase) and claim there was a direction from the top to punish the Tigers by whatever means ... especially with umpiring ... sometimes it worked (2021/2 seasons) and sometimes it didnt (2017, 2019 & 2020)...

The footage in this post will feature heavily with recorded conversations .... from the bunker ...

Many are saying on the net that this video proves the ball went over the post, am I seeing something they're not?

Debate raged on Friday about whether Lynch’s shot was a goal or behind as video shot from a fan in the stands appeared to show the ball definitely travelled over the goalpost.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/a...r/news-story/07a586177269ea446794d5c75b061f56

It clearly shows it doesn't

The footage of it above the post is a full 2 seconds after he kicks it. There is no way in hell that is physically possible. No ball can take 2 seconds to cross the line from 5meters out. People are just dumb & want it to be right as they don't like Richmond. That is all its about. That is the world we live in. We excuse injustice as long as the victim is deemed somewhat our enemy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back