The 'What The Hell Does Myles Sewell Have To Do TO Get On A List' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sewell is solid, but lets be honest as a rookie pick, generally you go for a high risk, high reward type of player rather than an honest B-C grader. As a rookie pick, it does not really matter if it flops, you can get rid of them in a year. If Sewell was going to go he would have gone in the PSD or to the GWS.

We aren't saying Sewell is a good or even has to be as good as Barlow. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But he is certainly in the Top 600 players in Australia and that means he should have been drafted.

You're assuming the AFL is for the top 600 players in Australia - it's not.

Exactly and lets be honest it is the ROOKIE DRAFT. That draft is designed specifically to give players who have 1-2 exceptional traits a chance to improve in an AFL system, perfect example is Brad Harvey who is an exceptional athlete. Sewell whilst he may be a good player is NOT exceptional at anything.

Sewell is solid, but lets be honest as a rookie pick, generally you go for a high risk, high reward type of player rather than an honest B-C grader. As a rookie pick, it does not really matter if it flops, you can get rid of them in a year. If Sewell was going to go he would have gone in the PSD or to the GWS.

If i was a coach i would go for solid B/C graders. Rookies can be delisted after one year so they have to prove themselves in the first year. Going for a player with massive upside but who is s**t (lewis broome) will never make it far.

I think times will change rookies will become solid performers you can rely on when you get an injury rather than young kids with massive upside that never get there or anywhere near it.

Tom Hawkins.

Id say he wouldve still gained weight, massive unit now. Lets not get carried away with fat players, but id still say he wouldn't have lost weight.

If i was a coach i would go for solid B/C graders. Rookies can be delisted after one year so they have to prove themselves in the first year. Going for a player with massive upside but who is s**t (lewis broome) will never make it far.

The problem is that solid B/C graders are easy to find. West Coast have dozens of them. We don't need to draft more in a rookie draft. They'll often be midfielders drafted in the ND that don't reach their potential. Someone like Lewis Broome who is a long shot but has been BOG in the colts and reserves grand finals the past 2 years represents better value.

I think times will change rookies will become solid performers you can rely on when you get an injury rather than young kids with massive upside that never get there or anywhere near it.

You need a bit of both really. Looking at West Coast of the last few years and Strijk and Hams look to be real good finds yet a Beau Wilkes or Adam Cockie are pretty rubbish. They didn't have any outstanding attributes and as such were AFL strugglers.

boys i think you need to look outside the square a little bit with this one!

yes hes a good player and has proven so in the last few years at vfl level. although you need to bring a lot more to the table these days then just your talent alone.

the depth of information clubs/recruiters can find and dig up on potential draftees is pretty amazing. not naming names but my mate recently had a visit from a club and he said the information they had on him dating right back through his time at primary school was ridiculous. they leave no stones un turned to make sure there making the right decision.

i dont know anything about myles apart from his footballing ability, like most people on this forum im guessing. although maybe there is something that the clubs/recruiters know about that is turning them off. just a thought because he definately has the talent.

the depth of information clubs/recruiters can find and dig up on potential draftees is pretty amazing. not naming names but my mate recently had a visit from a club and he said the information they had on him dating right back through his time at primary school was ridiculous. they leave no stones un turned to make sure there making the right decision.

i dont know anything about myles apart from his footballing ability, like most people on this forum im guessing. although maybe there is something that the clubs/recruiters know about that is turning them off. just a thought because he definately has the talent.

I went through high school with Myles, A grade student and personality, unless things have change in i know what 5 years?

Main positives: Superb endurance, ball magnet, tall height for a midfielder (187cm).

Main negatives: Average disposal, average pace, one dimensional (can only play mid.), doesn't kick enough goals.

Just because he is a ball magnet doesn't mean he would have a successful transition to the AFL. Yeah he may average 20+ disposals but so can Byron Schammer. He is a liability on his team.

Still, with that being said i think he is worth a shot on a club's rookie list.
You forgot to mention the fact that Sewell is one of the bravest players that you'll ever see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly and lets be honest it is the ROOKIE DRAFT. That draft is designed specifically to give players who have 1-2 exceptional traits a chance to improve in an AFL system, perfect example is Brad Harvey who is an exceptional athlete. Sewell whilst he may be a good player is NOT exceptional at anything.

Who are the Essendon midfielders who you would regard as having "exceptional" traits?

Your best are ...

Watson
Stanton
McVeigh
and Prismal

Next to each tell me what the Essendon recruiters saw in them that Myles Sewell doesn't have.

Who are the Essendon midfielders who you would regard as having "exceptional" traits?

Your best are ...

Watson
Stanton
McVeigh
and Prismal

Next to each tell me what the Essendon recruiters saw in them that Myles Sewell doesn't have.
He's similar to a lot of guys in a pretty average midfield, so he'd be a good pick-up? I can't see that as logical.

We need to be trying to get the younger, less exposed guys (Myers/Howlett/Colyer and so on) in there; who do have various talents which make them stand out.

Sewell could be some value but he looks like a skinnier version of Lonergan to me. We barely have a spot for 1 Lonergan let alone 2.
Sticking with the Lonergans/Dyson etc, long term; would be dumb. IMHO

Your best are ...

Watson
Stanton
McVeigh
and Prismal

Watson - better accumualtor, better user, better leader, better everything.
Stanton - quicker, runs harder, better kick (which says a lot about Sewell), better physique.
McVeigh - plays in defence, Sewell cant.
Prismall - This is the best comparison on our list, gets a lot of cheapish possesions, slow, unaccountable, one dimensional position wise. Would still rather Prismall and i dont think he's any good.

If hes that good why do Freo keep passing on him?

clubs are more interested in picking up athletes with "upside" and trying to teach them to kick

they couldn't care less about actual footballers with relevant skills

Your best are ...

Watson
Stanton
McVeigh
and Prismal

Jobe Watson was a number 40 pick (albeit a F/S selection)
Brent Stanton was a number 13 pick
Mark McVeigh was a number 9 pick
Brent Prismall was a number 32 pick

All were drafted with the view they had significant upside.

As such, why would you bother drafting one of these types in the rookie draft when they inadvertently come through higher draft picks not living up to expectations?

clubs are more interested in picking up athletes with "upside" and trying to teach them to kick

they couldn't care less about actual footballers with relevant skills

Your 100% right.

But how often do players who cant kick and are rookied actually even play a a game. They should measure how often it happens, because the only rookies i see playing consistantly these days are mature aged rookies. Sewell fits that bill. I think the drafting mind needs to and hopefully will change with regards to rookies.

But your right they pick players with massive upside the Majak Daws of the world and that china player the lions picked. The reason AFL scouts pick these sort of players is because they get there nuts licked every time 1/100 they get it right.

Been looking back at how many kids got drafted, and how many mature aged players got drafted, seems like clubs will nearly always go for that kid with upside, rather than that proven performer..

After all, it is the rookie draft, not gaining much by losing much, but why not try and gain alot by losing not much?

Been looking back at how many kids got drafted, and how many mature aged players got drafted, seems like clubs will nearly always go for that kid with upside, rather than that proven performer..

After all, it is the rookie draft, not gaining much by losing much, but why not try and gain alot by losing not much?

So what about Garlett, Ellard??, White from carlton - all mature aged

The simple fact is that clubs do take players with huge upsides but issues, they do take young footballing kids who missed, and they do take mature aged footballers. That is all simple fact.

But people here going on about Myles Sewell are ignoring that he has been ignored for the Barlow, Marigilani, Anthony, Hibberd, and other mature aged players. Just as he was ignored when he was going through the draft. Those players are being taken, so that implies the clubs just don't rate him.

The simple fact is that clubs do take players with huge upsides but issues, they do take young footballing kids who missed, and they do take mature aged footballers. That is all simple fact.

But people here going on about Myles Sewell are ignoring that he has been ignored for the Barlow, Marigilani, Anthony, Hibberd, and other mature aged players. Just as he was ignored when he was going through the draft. Those players are being taken, so that implies the clubs just don't rate him.

Thread closed/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back