Multiplat The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Tales of a legendary card playing, camomile drinking adventurer

How do you feel about Gwent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha, let me guess, the Nekkers near the Devil's Pit (where the big hideout of bandits are?)

3 or 4 are ok, but yeah a large number like that can be tricky. Definitely bad idea to get surrounded in this game.

No idea where it was, it was early in the game and I saw some little buggers and thought hey may as well check these little things out. They were vicious.

As devastating as these gwent hero cards can be as they can't be debuffed, they're no good if your tactic hinges on medics, decoys and spies. Thought I was going to smash this one opponent with my nilfgaard deck when I had 4 hero cards on the first draw. But that deck relies heavily on bond cards, so ended up going back to my northern realms deck with only 2 hereos, and managed to draw my spies which got me my bonds (8 power sieges) coupled with a horn and having a clear weather up my sleeve (foltest level 2 leader card).
I still have very little understanding of Gwent. In only level 3 and just leaving white orchid, so I've only played that dude at the start a few times. Any tips for building a decent deck? Strategy? All I really do is start low and then work up to my highest... Not really sure what else haha.

How about other decks instead of just the northern region (out whatever it is).

I just cant get into this at all. Think it's a combination of getting sick of open world games, poor combat and really touchy movement controls. Over running items or having to ever so slightly adjust where I'm standing to even have the option to loot is getting annoying.

Was hoping it would get me out of my gaming slump but it just hasn't interested me in the slightest :(

Anyone managed to find any books about monsters? Don't think I've unlocked a single bestiary entry other than from killing one, which isn't all that helpful when you're fighting em for the first time and wondering what their weaknesses are.
One so far just from spamming the books. :D

Had an epic game of Gwent before. Managed to dig myself into a massive hole against the Baron, so much so that I thought I was done and just decided to chuck one of my weather cards on (that I thought was going to demolish me more than him). Turned out it destroyed his cards power and ended up handing me the win. Went from the edge of losing to winning against him in the blink of an eye.

Have had two more games since against others around that area, one of the guys was an absolute bitch to beat, but managed to smash him with a score of 56 in the last round. Really enjoying Gwent more than I thought I would tbh. I think it's more the collect them all nature of me wanting to beat everyone and grab a new card than anything else. But it's enjoyable none-the less.

Anyone managed to find any books about monsters? Don't think I've unlocked a single bestiary entry other than from killing one, which isn't all that helpful when you're fighting em for the first time and wondering what their weaknesses are.

3 entries just then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have very little understanding of Gwent. In only level 3 and just leaving white orchid, so I've only played that dude at the start a few times. Any tips for building a decent deck? Strategy? All I really do is start low and then work up to my highest... Not really sure what else haha.

How about other decks instead of just the northern region (out whatever it is).

No decent strategy that early other than pot luck since you will still have too many low level cards. Northern Realms will be the first deck you buff out as it will be the only one you will be able to use for a while. Everyone probably has different tricks but mine for that deck is as you start to get better cards keep the unit cards to 22, removing low level ones and replacing them with the better ones, and only have 1 frost/fog/rain/scorch/decoy/horn card. This way you have a better chance to draw a good hand to start with. Usually I fold the first round by playing spy cards and letting the computer waste a few cards. Even better if they decoy the spies and playing them back as I'll either decoy them right back or bring them back later with a medic. Second round I will avoid playing bond cards if possible and start putting out my lowest power cards hoping to draw the opponent into wasting a scorch if they have one. If I get enough of a lead or they get too low on cards they will always fold the round then I go all out final round. There is more to it than that but that's the basics on how I play Northern Realms deck and also Nilfgaard deck to some extent. Don't know if it was just me but I massed Nilfgaard hero cards long before my others. I play Nilfgaard very similar to Northern but with less spies and more bonds.

Scoia'tael and monster decks play very similar but different to the others. Rather than racking up big numbers from bonds they get theirs mostly from muster. For these two you want to do the opposite of the other decks and cram as many muster cards in as you can. I don't have any real issues playing against Scoia'tael decks unless when they have the leader card to buff ranged cards, but if against playing a monster deck always make sure to have a biting frost on hand. A good monster deck can be devastating with the sheer amount of close combat muster cards when coupled with a horn.

Gwent is very simple once you get the hang of it and it just comes down to trimming or customising your deck to have the best chance of drawing your strongest hand. Still can very much come down to dumb luck. Like I romped the 'big city players' all first go, yet took me 3 games to beat a shitty merchant around the corner because I kept drawing the worst hand possible.

One so far just from spamming the books. :D

Had an epic game of Gwent before. Managed to dig myself into a massive hole against the Baron, so much so that I thought I was done and just decided to chuck one of my weather cards on (that I thought was going to demolish me more than him). Turned out it destroyed his cards power and ended up handing me the win. Went from the edge of losing to winning against him in the blink of an eye.

Have had two more games since against others around that area, one of the guys was an absolute bitch to beat, but managed to smash him with a score of 56 in the last round. Really enjoying Gwent more than I thought I would tbh. I think it's more the collect them all nature of me wanting to beat everyone and grab a new card than anything else. But it's enjoyable none-the less.

Sometimes when I've got them beat with plenty of cards in hand, instead of passing and just taking the win, I get a bit of satisfaction from rubbing it right in (wish it were a real person) and throwing everything at them. So far my biggest win was by 139 lol.

Would it be hard to get into this game if you haven't played the previous ones?

Nope, there is a lot of referencing to the previous games, but they explain it well so you don't feel lost.

Would it be hard to get into this game if you haven't played the previous ones?
I'm a first timer for the series and very rarely, well never play this type of game but I'm having some fun with it. It is a little overwhelming with the amount of stuff that there is to learn but still fun.

Yeah that was good. There's a mission called Twisted Firestarter too, pretty funny.

Where did you find the book?

Dunno. All over the place I guess, just realised you could get entries from your posts. I've been selling them before reading them.

Got a few enteries from books during the Crones mission.

The Barons mission/story is very good if not a bit odd at times. I'm presuming some timelines or cut scenes/dialogue changes depending on what you have already done but nonetheless was/is good. Hoping it's not finished with just yet.

Also some weird little odd bugger ran into his room during a cut scene. I want to to this odd little bald headed buffoon again.

The Barons mission/story is very good if not a bit odd at times. I'm presuming some timelines or cut scenes/dialogue changes depending on what you have already done but nonetheless was/is good. Hoping it's not finished with just yet.

Also some weird little odd bugger ran into his room during a cut scene. I want to to this odd little bald headed buffoon again.

Did you kill the spirit in the tree or set it free?

Back