News Thomas and Keefe - 2 year ban - Trade, De-List, Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems more a what if, but no guarantee scenario. Not against it being considered, or them being rookied/re-listed after serving any ban purely because there's too many variables/unknowns in play. You'd expect that any such lifeline, would come with a strict muck up again & you're gone condition.

I love both of these players. Side by side

We have to draft 3 players every year meaning we must delist 3 every year. The reality is side by side is a line in our club song and footy is a business...

I think this is more an indication of the lack of depth in the 2015 draft than anything else. The fact that we're prepared to even think about it indicates we have no interest in this years rookie draft.

At the least with Keeffe we have a young but experienced key position player (of ruckman height) who can play at either end (assuming his shift to the forwardline can work) who has a terrific record of performing at AFL level, and was in our leadership group.

Keeffe at least is a player worth retaining in some way.

If anyone does resume it would be Thomas. I just can't see a guy like keeffe spending two years out of the game and resuming an AFL career, considering he was very much still in development mode, given his non AFL upbringing. Thomas had many games where he accumulated possessions so someone might rookie him.

Won't be collingwood

Can't keep two guys on the list so aren't gonna play at all!
Would mean we don't get another two young guys who won't develop.
If it's positive then it's goodbye.

I'm not an Armstrong fan but I'd even rather have him on the rookie list than Thomas/Keeffe.

If the club is SERIOUS about cleaning up our culture then we need to come down hard on illicit drug users within our club to discourage use from our other players and young kids who get drafted.

Keeping them on the list would be a spit in the face to guys like Shaw Wellingham and Lumumba who were moved on due to off-field issues, and a spit in the face to the cultural changes Bucks has fought tooth and nail to implement over the past 3-4 years

We have to draft 3 players every year meaning we must delist 3 every year. The reality is side by side is a line in our club song and footy is a business...

I think this is more an indication of the lack of depth in the 2015 draft than anything else. The fact that we're prepared to even think about it indicates we have no interest in this years rookie draft.
That was my take it this. This years draft must be absolute poo.

I'd think Abbott and Manboob would both at least have claims to another year on the rookie list.

I wasn't a huge fan of JT anyway. I think plenty will be better. Not only our current starters, but Greenwood, BK & Freeman also.

Not sure on Keeffey. I think he had value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone does resume it would be Thomas. I just can't see a guy like keeffe spending two years out of the game and resuming an AFL career, considering he was very much still in development mode, given his non AFL upbringing. Thomas had many games where he accumulated possessions so someone might rookie him.

Won't be collingwood

Disagree. Thomas is just a vanilla C grade inside mid. Those guys are very easy to replace in the draft with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Keeffe showed he can be an AFL standard key defender, and at over 200cm has a point of difference... those guys are so rare AFL clubs are going to America to try find more.

IF Keeffe keeps himself in perfect shape and keeps his skills over the next 2 years then a club will rookie him... probably not us though.

Won't be collingwood
From what we saw of Keeffe, he had very good potential. Yes, he was clumsy with the ball and looked slow at times, but he had some brilliant moments down back. We should keep both IMO.

if you're trying to establish a culture of "if you're useful to the team, we'll take care of you but if you're not delivering then f&#$ off", then it would be smart to make a decision to keep either player on the basis of whether they might be useful in the future.

Players could then go to the club and ask if they were considered useful so that they would know if the club would support them if they made a mistake. Obviously, players like Pendles wouldn't have to bother.

if you're trying to establish a culture of "if you're useful to the team, we'll take care of you but if you're not delivering then f&#$ off", then it would be smart to make a decision to keep either player on the basis of whether they might be useful in the future.

Players could then go to the club and ask if they were considered useful so that they would know if the club would support them if they made a mistake. Obviously, players like Pendles wouldn't have to bother.
Agreed - one in all in.
Don't want to go back to the Malthouse days of looking after favourites/key players who transgress.

Neither are good enough to justify retaining them IMO.

Both of them being suspended has robbed us of senior depth, but it has helped us develop better as a team as they would be clogging positions and making it harder for guys like Broomhead and Kennedy to get games into them (Kennedy struggles already)

If they are suspended for 2 years (backdated to Feb 2015), so 2 seasons, they will be delisted...future list decisions will only be made at the end of the suspension year i.e October 2016.
Doubt anything would be agreed in advance of that.

They should not be kept on the list. Do the crime, do the time.

Then and it's a BIG if, consider whether they should be rookie listed down the track. Let them sweat on it.

Would you have the same opinion if it was Scott Pendlebury?

I happy for the club to be open to all possibilities. This shouldn't necessarily be a lifetime punishmentt and in glad the club isn't going to sack them regardless. They still might of course...

I'm sure there are lots of options including guaranteeing a 2017 rookie listing. The risk of that is that another club may snap them up first in the draft.

Rookie listing in 2016 gives us a cheap option on them for when they return.

If he deliberately cheated then yes. Surely allowing them back doesn't sit well with cleaning up our culture?

I'm sure all things will be taken into consideration. Theres no right or wrong answer to this, everybody's opinions are valid.

Culture is a convenient word that gets thrown around too easily. Perhaps the fact that these players have otherwise been the perfect role models us the reason why the club is considering giving them a lifeline.

Culture is a convenient word that gets thrown around too easily. Perhaps the fact that these players have otherwise been the perfect role models us the reason why the club is considering giving them a lifeline.

Maybe. But it's something we've been pretty strict on over the last couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back