List Mgmt. Thread for discussing pick 7 in the 2013 Rookie Draft - Charlie Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think I have been as excited about a debut since I saw McLeod against the Hawks in 1995.

Actually, upon reflection that game may not have been his debut, but the game he emerged on the stage as a match winner.

Last edited:

Martin will be an emergency IMO

Quite frankly I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what our tact is with Martin. It's clear that he's a long way off our best 22, especially when everyone is fit, however we keep giving him half a game here or there, then dropping him straight away. Its the same thing as what we did with Tambling and Callinan last year and Symes/Knights the year before that. We neither commit to these mature aged players, nor do we put a line through them, so we end up just wasting a whole bunch of games on such players in the hope they might suddenly transform into absolute superstars in a quarter of footy.

Essentially the coaching staff can feel good that they are "rewarding" these guys for their SANFL form, but essentially they're setting them up to fail, so that they can delist them with all this "evidence" that they were no good.

Surely we need to either decide that they're not good enough and thus just not play them, or actually give them a run of 3 or 4 full games to actually see if they can cement a spot in the side. As it is, we're just wasting games that we might be better off giving to players like Charlie Cameron or Cam Ellis-Yolman, who would benefit just from the experience, even as sub, of preparation, matchday experience and the actual pace/hardness of the game.

Surely Tex Walker after he kicked about 80 in the SANFL and Craigy held him back?

Walker gets my juices flowing now, and can win a game of his own boot. I think it is a Freo game that comes to mind. But on debut a Cameron, like McLeod brings some pace, x factor, pressure and excitement we really need.

Last edited:
Quite frankly I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what our tact is with Martin. It's clear that he's a long way off our best 22, especially when everyone is fit, however we keep giving him half a game here or there, then dropping him straight away. Its the same thing as what we did with Tambling and Callinan last year and Symes/Knights the year before that. We neither commit to these mature aged players, nor do we put a line through them, so we end up just wasting a whole bunch of games on such players in the hope they might suddenly transform into absolute superstars in a quarter of footy.

Essentially the coaching staff can feel good that they are "rewarding" these guys for their SANFL form, but essentially they're setting them up to fail, so that they can delist them with all this "evidence" that they were no good.

Surely we need to either decide that they're not good enough and thus just not play them, or actually give them a run of 3 or 4 full games to actually see if they can cement a spot in the side. As it is, we're just wasting games that we might be better off giving to players like Charlie Cameron or Cam Ellis-Yolman, who would benefit just from the experience, even as sub, of preparation, matchday experience and the actual pace/hardness of the game.

James I think most of us a struggling to understand the coaches position on Martin

Surely given Martin's lack of influence at AFL level we would be better served at exploring what influence can CEY have at this level before going back into the recycle bag

its going to be a big challenge for Cameron, but he looked a ripping player down at Glenelg the other week.

hard, fast, composed and accurate. If he can rise to the occasion look out!

its going to be a big challenge for Cameron, but he looked a ripping player down at Glenelg the other week.

hard, fast, composed and accurate. If he can rise to the occasion look out!
Does he play with aggression?

Don't think I have been as excited about a debut since I saw McLeod against the Hawks in 1995.

Actually, upon reflection that game may not have been his debut, but the game he emerged on the stage as a match winner.

That was his 2nd game. He debuted 3 weeks earlier against Melbourne and had 4 touches!

Not a bad second game...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does he play with aggression?
absolutely, his aggression is encapsulated in my "hard" analysis ;)

chases and tackles like an animal, as I understand he played a lot of rugby as a little kid in Queensland and converted to footy when he moved to WA.

Just wanted to revive this thread to say that I thought his game yesterday against St Kilda, for me, was a significant step forward in Charlie Cameron's development. It was the most complete game that I have seen him play yet. Phil Walsh also said in his pressed that he worked in "synergy" with the rest of the forward line. Welcome to the AFL Charlie, you belong. I should also add that he is learning from the Betts/best. :)

How good is he going to be in a few seasons when he's learnt how to use his pace. He is so dangerous now yet is nowhere near having mastered how to use it for letal effect.

His first mark in space about 35m from goal on a 45 degree angle. He had 5m on his opponent running back with the flight (which he opened up during the dash back). Perfect opportunity for him to keep going and kick from 20m out rather than go back (and kick a point).

That included 2 posters and 2 very good efforts from acute angles…he's not far off.

Suffers from any comparison to the amazing Betts but for a guy with his experience he is tracking very well.

Thank God the selectors backed in his talents…more talent, less experienced B graders please :thumbsu:

He's certainly still adjusting to the big stage, suffers a lot from deer in headlights syndrome which is a large reason for his clangers and DE%. More experience and more mentoring from the likes of Betts will hopefully iron that out.

Still improving game to game, the good thing is you can see it. Getting great help from Eddie and will hopefully iron out some of the hesitation he suffers from. I would like to see him take more chances from around the arc to the 40 metre range instead of just looking for Eddie haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back