Throbbie Balls' Top 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Robert-Walls/The-top-25/2005/03/18/1111086017149.html?oneclick=true

The top 25

The best of 2005
By Robert Walls
March 19, 2005

Wear and tear has knocked Michael Voss, Nathan Buckley and James Hird from the top of my best players list. They have been, and still are, mighty players, but time moves on and in the space of 12 months a couple of youngsters in Nick Riewoldt, 22, and Chris Judd, 21, have catapulted into the top three positions. As we enter season 2005, these are some of my good, bad and ugly assessments.

1. Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
The most exciting player to watch — full of courage, run and class. To average more than 12 marks and three goals a game, as he did in 2004, is sensational from a half-forward.

2. Warren Tredrea (Port Adelaide)
Not as flamboyant as Riewoldt, but rock solid with numbers that can't be ignored. A strong physical presence who controls the premiership team's forward line.

3. Chris Judd (West Coast)
The quickest, classiest midfielder in the game. Wins an enormous amount of hard ball in tight situations and kicks and creates more than 50 goals a season.

4. Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)
The game's best full-back. Durable, disciplined and confident enough to launch attacks from the last line of defence. Full-forwards hate playing on him.

5. Barry Hall (Sydney)
Now 28, it has been worth waiting to see Hall develop into the imposing figure that controls Sydney's front half. Quick, strong, aggressive and clever in ruck contests, he is now the complete player.

6. Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide)
Blossomed when moved from half-forward to centre half-back last year. Brilliant in the air, athletic and a thumping kick.

7. Nigel Lappin (Brisbane Lions)
The Brisbane veteran took his club's best and fairest and another All-Australian honour in 2004. Nobody reads the play better and he will run himself ragged to get to the next contest.

8. Jeff White (Melbourne)
Had a superb 2004. The All- Australian ruckman who not only dominates the hit-outs but accumulates close to 18 disposals a game. In effect he is two players in one.

9. Michael Voss (Brisbane Lions)
The most respected player in the AFL; the ultimate player's player. Plays at the one pace — 100 mp/h — from start to finish. Age and injuries are forcing him out of the midfield.

10. Simon Black (Brisbane Lions)
The most decorated 25-year-old in the game. Relentless in his pursuit of excellence. Sharp football brain, super-quick hands and forever helping teammates with his pinpoint disposals.

11. Mal Michael (Brisbane Lions)
The most physically imposing full-back in the game. Super disciplined, his spoils are long, strong and aggressive. Runs in a straight line at the ball, makes the opposition nervous and seldom lets the ball through.

12. Matthew Lloyd (Essendon)
Strictly a full-forward only and you hope the Bomber brains trust realises this. Excellent timer of leads, strong hands and an accurate kick.

13. Brendon Fevola (Carlton)
My favourite player to watch. Has got bigger and better. Super quick on the lead, strong hands and a long kick. Now doing the required hard work when he hasn't got the ball.

14. Peter Everitt (Hawthorn)
One of the best tap ruckmen and amazingly agile for a man of his size. Cunning reader of the play and good around the goals. Needs a challenge to get the best out of him.

15. James Hird (Essendon)
Keep your eyes fixed on Hird for a 10-minute period and you will see one of the most balanced footballers ever to grace our fields. Has the extraordinary vision to know where the ball is going, and how to put it to advantage.

16. Mark Ricciuto (Adelaide)
Respected by all. Tough, courageous, aggressive and persistent. Opposition coaches realise that, if Ricciuto is kept to a modest game, his team rarely wins.

17. Jason Akermanis (Brisbane Lions)
Matchwinner with explosive pace. Can turn a game in a 10-minute burst. Excellent kick on either left or right boot. Full of cheek and arrogance that riles opposition fans.

18. Fraser Gehrig (St Kilda)
His rating jumped enormously on the back of his All- Australian 2004 season. Powerful, quick and accurate around goals. Realistically his rating could fall just as quickly, as consistency isn't his trademark.

19. Nathan Buckley (Collingwood)
In 12 months, Buckley's stocks have dropped from Brownlow medallist in 2003, but can the body hold up in 2005? An exceptionally brilliant player in his prime, but, age and frayed hamstrings wait for no one.

20. Lenny Hayes (St Kilda)
Thrived on last year's captaincy. Just keeps on keeping on to cover enormous ground and win plenty of ball, especially in tough situations.

21. Luke Power (Brisbane Lions)
The youngest of the "Fab Five" but a genuine class act in his own right. Adaptable to play back, midfield or forward. With Voss and Akermanis spending more time forward, Power is now gaining a reputation as a tough centre-square player.

22. Scott West (Western Bulldogs)
A tireless midfield worker who gets in and under to earn more of the ball than any other player. Super fit and committed to excellence, West's six club best and fairests are testimony to his value to the Bulldogs over a long period.

23. Peter Burgoyne (Port Adelaide)
Over eight seasons, the Power midfielder has steadily made his mark. No longer an opportunist forward, Burgoyne has earned respect with the stronger way in which he now plays.

24. Chris Tarrant (Collingwood)
On song he is one of the most dangerous tall forwards about. Long, searching leads are backed up with a vice-like grip when ball and hands meet.

25. Chad Fletcher (West Coast)
This ball magnet from the west deservedly won All- Australian selection in 2004. Sets up in close at most ruck stoppages to win more than his fair share of leather. With creative handball, sets up countless "assists" for teammates.

10 on the rise (40 games or less)

These are the stars of the future. Some, such as Daniel Wells, are already nearing star status, even though he has completed only two full seasons of football.

1. Daniel Wells (Kang, 40 games)
2. Steve Johnson (Geel, 40 games)
3. Aaron Sandilands (Frem, 39 games)
4. Adam Cooney (WB, 19 games)
5. Jarrad Waite (Carl, 29 games)
6. Aaron Davey (Melb, 19 games)
7. Guy Richards (Coll, 12 games)
8. Andrew Mackie (Geel, 13 games)
9. Trent Hentschel (Adel, 21 games)
10. Richard Tambling (Rich, 0 games)

10 on the slide

Some players are realistic. They know that their bodies are struggling to hold up as the speed and the demands of the game increase. Some, such as Wayne Campbell, take the pressure off themselves and their club by announcing that this will be their last season. Others will need a push as they hang on to the limelight, dollars, lifestyle and challenges that AFL affords them. These players are on the brink as we enter 2005.

1. Ben Hart (Adel, 30 years old, 276 games)
2. Darryl White (BL, 31, 258 games)
3. Anthony Koutoufides (Carl, 32, 227 games)
4. Glenn Archer (Kang, 32, 252 games)
5. Chris Grant (WB, 32, 296 games)
6. Corey McKernan (Kang, 31, 237 games)
7. Nick Holland (Haw, 30, 176 games)
8. Stuart Maxfield (Syd, 33, 284 games)
9. Beau McDonald (BL, 25, 75 games)
10. Drew Banfield (WC, 31, 226 games)

10 who intimidate

AFL is a collision sport. Strong bodies come flying in from all angles. People get hurt. Reputations are made. Footballers such as Michael Voss and Glenn Archer are fair yet feared. Their opponents know they will run through whatever gets between them and the ball. Others, such as Byron Pickett, cause anxious moments, too. Pickett is more feared than respected for his hits, as his peers know that his recklessness can cause serious injury. Fraser Gehrig has the mad stare, Barry Hall the bad boy reputation of old. Brent Guerra is lethal off the centresquare line and Brendan Fevola, with the square jaw and shoulders and the enjoyment of the hit, is also building a reputation.

1. Barry Hall (Syd)
2. Michael Voss (BL)
3. Glenn Archer (Kang)
4. Jonathan Brown (BL)
5. Fraser Gehrig (St K)
6. Mal Michael (BL)
7. Jamie Charman (BL)
8. Brendan Fevola (Carl)
9. Brent Guerra (StK)
10. Byron Pickett (PA)

10 who frustrate

Players who don’t perform to their best frustrate their fans. Some are lazy, timid, undisciplined, injury-prone or just plain not smart enough to work on their weaknesses.

Matthew Pavlich is considered by many to be a superstar, but, until he puts in a season as a key forward, he will not be the equal of a Tredrea, Riewoldt or Jonathan Brown. He needs to be given opportunity in the hot seat.

Essendon’s Damian Cupido shows plenty but delivers little — only 42 games in five seasons.

Can Leon Davis get a kick in the midfield? Will Danny Jacobs take on opponent responsibility? And will Jade Rawlings stand up and be strong in contested situations?

1. Jade Rawlings (WB)
2. Damian Cupido (Ess)
3. Nick Davis (Syd)
4. Danny Jacobs (Haw)
5. Jeff Farmer (Frem)
6. Matthew Pavlich (Frem)
7. Lance Whitnall (Carl)
8. Jarred Brennan (BL)
9. Leon Davis (Coll)
10. Dean Rioli (Ess)

10 best trades

There are no guarantees that players who leave one club for another will prosper. However, Port Adelaide’s premiership team of 2004 had nine players who came from other AFL clubs. That gives hope to the following:

1. Brad Ottens (Rich/Geel) 129 games
2. Josh Carr (PA/Frem) 105 games
3. Troy Simmonds (Frem/Rich) 104 games
4. Tyson Stenglein (Adel/WC) 106 games
5. Callum Chambers (WC/Carl) 54 games
6. Nathan Thompson (Haw/Kang) 119 games
7. Blake Caracella (BL/Coll) 160 games
8. Mark McGough (Coll/StK) 37 games
9. Aaron Fiora (Rich/StK) 78 games
10. Brent Moloney (Geel/Melb) 23 games

------------------------------------------------------

Very good list(s) from Throbbie, although I still can't work out why Barry Hall is a top 5 player. Excellent player, definite top 20, but not top 5!

Otherwise, I've borderline got respect for Balls' opinion...but then I just have to think back to previous years to realise that this could simply be an abberation!!

Michael Voss

Nathan Buckley

On a non-bias opinion I reckon they are as good as each other!!!

Ricciuto is too far down the list.
West should be inside the 20.
Michael overrated by journalists???

Happy with White, Riewoldt, Judd, Tredrea, Hall, Fletcher

Not bad, but Walls has taken the bigfooty approach of taking one year (2004) as gospel for a player's form (or lack thereof).

For WC; would you seriously consider Fletcher to be a better player than Gardiner or Cousins?

Bulldogs; West (good to see he's getting some recognition, but still...) better than Darcy and Johnson?

For us, there is no way known that Everitt should be at 14 and Crawf not on the list at all.

Oh, and Ricciuto is top 10 for sure.

Still, better than expected.

Hird 15?

Hmm....

Tredrea ahead of Judd?

Interesting..

10 best trades before any of them have played a game for their new club? Wallsy has issues.

What I found odd is that Bux is marked down due to injuries but Tird and Voss are not?

morgoth said:
What I found odd is that Bux is marked down due to injuries but Tird and Voss are not?

:rolleyes:

FIGJAM said:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Robert-Walls/The-top-25/2005/03/18/1111086017149.html?oneclick=true

The top 25

The best of 2005
By Robert Walls
March 19, 2005

The most exciting player to watch — full of courage, run and class. To average more than 12 marks and three goals a game, as he did in 2004, is sensational from a half-forward.

Incorrect, Riewoldt averaged 10.24 marks and 2.76 goals per game.

FIGJAM said:
AFL is a collision sport. Fraser Gehrig has the mad stare, Barry Hall the bad boy reputation of old.

1. Barry Hall (Syd)
2. Michael Voss (BL)
3. Glenn Archer (Kang)
4. Jonathan Brown (BL)
5. Fraser Gehrig (St K)

I'm a St Kilda fan and I believe Gehrig hates putting his body on the line. I'd be more scared of Fiora lining me up.

FIGJAM said:
10 Who Frustrate

1. Jade Rawlings (WB)
2. Damian Cupido (Ess)
3. Nick Davis (Syd)
4. Danny Jacobs (Haw)
5. Jeff Farmer (Frem)
6. Matthew Pavlich (Frem)
7. Lance Whitnall (Carl)
8. Jarred Brennan (BL)
9. Leon Davis (Coll)
10. Dean Rioli (Ess)
At the risk of being labelled a racist again which I no doubt will be by the no life do gooders :rolleyes: its interesting to see that a certain current AFL coach said you cannot have too many aboriginals in your team due to their high talent but lack of discipline to play AFL and you could only carry so many.... 5 of those 10 players named above are aboriginal... so that says a fair bit I think. The coach might have been right.

FIGJAM said:

Woudl you actully consiter Roo a CHF?

Whilst Tredrea & Brown are CHF's fair call to claim Nick as half foward/almost midfeild type.

-----

No Jono Brown. :confused:

Top 3 if not 1 for mine.

tiger of old said:
Surely he,s having us on?
Scarlett at 4?
Everitt and Micheal ahead of Ricciuto :confused:

cheers!

why wouldnt scarlett be at number 4?
his value to us is enormous, if he did the same job at CHF he would be rated number 1 but because he is a backman he is rarely rated that highly. i dont often agree with walls but i have to aplaud him on that decision which many others wouldnt have the balls to make.

Others, such as Byron Pickett, cause anxious moments, too. Pickett is more feared than respected for his hits, as his peers know that his recklessness can cause serious injury.

Arsehat. Yes, there's a long history of that. Recklessness......serious injury.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tiger of old said:
Surely he,s having us on?
Scarlett at 4?
Everitt and Micheal ahead of Ricciuto :confused:

cheers!

put an excellent full back into a team and there will be a big improvement, put an excellent midfielder into a team and the improvement will not be nowhere near as dramatic.

Why do most on big footy not see the value in excellent defenders.

Richmond with gasper in excellent form > richmond with Gasper in poor form, even with the recent additions of johnson and brown.

Infamy said:
How on earth can Chris Tarrant be considered Top 25?
I went through this last week. He's underrated. His stats are on average up close to the other full forwards on the list, although like Riewoldt, the fact he ends up playing further up the ground means he gets about onle less goal per week than the "closer to goal" full forwards.

Ignorant people also claim that he doesn't work hard, because he looks like he lacks intensity, but the truth of the matter is, he busts his gut as hard as any leading forward in the comp (definitely covers more distance).

All that and he's super fit at the minute and looks like having another 2003...only it might be bigger!! (Touch wood re. injuries).

ablett factor said:
why wouldnt scarlett be at number 4?
his value to us is enormous, if he did the same job at CHF he would be rated number 1 but because he is a backman he is rarely rated that highly. i dont often agree with walls but i have to aplaud him on that decision which many others wouldnt have the balls to make.
can you hosestly say he is better than a Simon Black,Ackermanis?Id have him somwhere in the top 10 or thereabouts.

cheers!

Total Package said:
At the risk of being labelled a racist again which I no doubt will be by the no life do gooders :rolleyes: its interesting to see that a certain current AFL coach said you cannot have too many aboriginals in your team due to their high talent but lack of discipline to play AFL and you could only carry so many.... 5 of those 10 players named above are aboriginal... so that says a fair bit I think. The coach might have been right.
Mate your not racist at all....but your pretty stupid for thinking Cupido is an aboriginal :rolleyes:

Cupido = South African

stevebiscuit said:
put an excellent full back into a team and there will be a big improvement, put an excellent midfielder into a team and the improvement will not be nowhere near as dramatic.
:rolleyes: Bollocks. A Fullback relies on midfield pressure up the field from his own midfielders. There are times when a Full back can be powerless to stop his opponent from getting the ball because the opposition midfielders are bringing the ball in with no pressure at all.

Thats why I laugh at everyone saying Darren Glass is crap because he had 8 kicked on him by Fevola. If ever you needed proof that Full backs rely on their midfielders last Saturday night was a perfect example... the Eagles didnt tag a single Carlton midfielder and the ball was just coming in continuously without pressure... Glass couldnt do a thing about it. In fact had Quentin Lynch not dropped about 5 chest marks he probably would have kicked 8 as well and we would be going on about how crap the Carlton full back was :rolleyes:

Total Package said:
Yes whatever Robert Walls list says is gospel and is evidence that all glib generalisations can be vindicated:rolleyes:

Infamy said:
How on earth can Chris Tarrant be considered Top 25?

Why dont you get a gig at the Comedy festival, your routine can be trying to say who should be in front of him.

Fit, Tarrant is a definite All Australian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back