Ticket inspectors

Remove this Banner Ad

I had dinner with one of my friends in the city a while ago and she caught the train home by herself. She got to the station just as the train was pulling in, touched her myki on and was running to the train when she was stopped by an inspector.

He took her myki off her and did something to it and then told her that it was a counterfeit. She started to panic because she knew that the train was about to leave and it would be about 30 minutes to her next one (and she was by herself at the station at about 11pm) and she knew for a fact that she'd bought the myki at a 7-11 and used it all the time. It went back and forth with this inspector until she nearly started crying, her ******* train left without her...and then the prick of an inspector said, "just kidding! have a good night!" and handed her back her myki.

She ended up catching a taxi home because she didn't want to hang around the station by herself, and I made her send in a letter of complaint, but she never heard back.

Did she even get a complaint reference number or something? If not, needs to be escalated. Can you take this sort of thing to the cops? Surely his actions were just plain illegal, if he said "only kidding".

Don't know about illegal, but you'd certainly hope it would be taken seriously by his bosses. Maybe not quite sackable if he hasn't had any complaints before, but he wouldn't' want to do it again.

I get the train home from work late most nights. It's 30 minutes between trains by then, I'd be ******* ropeable if some clown having a "joke" made me miss one.

I had dinner with one of my friends in the city a while ago and she caught the train home by herself. She got to the station just as the train was pulling in, touched her myki on and was running to the train when she was stopped by an inspector.

He took her myki off her and did something to it and then told her that it was a counterfeit. She started to panic because she knew that the train was about to leave and it would be about 30 minutes to her next one (and she was by herself at the station at about 11pm) and she knew for a fact that she'd bought the myki at a 7-11 and used it all the time. It went back and forth with this inspector until she nearly started crying, her ******* train left without her...and then the prick of an inspector said, "just kidding! have a good night!" and handed her back her myki.

She ended up catching a taxi home because she didn't want to hang around the station by herself, and I made her send in a letter of complaint, but she never heard back.
Somebody should kill that guy. :thumbsdown:

I see that you are a deuche bag, but I'll indulge -

If he was a uni student, then chances are he'd have a concession card for low income - ergo, a concession ticket..

but if you read what his old man wrote, he just turned 17 this month - He hasn't finished high school yet -

If you're a scab, I should tell you to get a real job -
Thanks smart ass. Schools sign concession cards and is a requirement for senior school kids (years 11 and 12). It has been that way since I was in school. Let me put it another way if you are above 16 you need one. To my knowledge 17 is greater then 16... Back to school for you.

He had the correct student I.d. He doesn't look like a year 12 student being 6'3", that's where this ****** got off trying to intimidate a student. You didn't read properly did you? He was let off with severe intimidation and bullying when just a gentle reminder would have sufficed. My kids a school captain, he's not a smartarse and doesn't cause trouble. There is a right way to go about officiating and a wrong way.
Any father would get furious if they heard their son was bullied by an adult if they weren't aware they were doing anything wrong, any father that had a set of nuts that is.
As mad as I was on hearing this, I could have gone down there and fed this guy my ******* fist for talking to one of my kids the way he did.

If he had a "student ID" it was not the correct ID as the card needs to be a concession card (many different types) or a low income health card. They will almost always let you off on this (as both my sister and myself was in school). Then even if you don't get off. If you send a letter saying you are sorry and send a copy of the correct card they will also let you off (if it is your first offence). Worth keeping that in mind.

As for the inspectors attitude. It seems odd he would be aggressive and intimidating as it does not add up with out son getting off with a warning. However I will take your sons word on that part. Again though send a letter and they will ALWAYS look into the incident. If the guard had a history of being aggressive for no reason. Your complaint may get him reassigned or fired.

cannot disagree with this post any more than is possible..

free loaders are looking after themselves... they are dealing with their own financial situation of the time.. they hurt nobody and cause no harm to anyone...

ticket scabs are intimidating thugs... they pull out badges and write out tickets of $200 or more in fines for people who in most cases cant actually afford it... because you know... they didn't/couldn't pay the $3 ticket in the first place....

anyone who sides with a ticket scab is a scab themselves... i have no time for them in any capacity whatsoever...

and just because i hate ticket scabs, doesn't mean that i don't think that paying for PT is important - I do pay for train/bus tickets most of the time - occasionally i free load on trams but **** it - whatever.... scabs are a blight on society and i'll stick up for a freeloader 100% of the time over a scab
Wow.... I just lost any respect I had for you.

I know a few people who "free load" and 100% of the time the reason is not financial and is almost always "because the can". I am not saying everyone is like this. However I would say the majority would fall into this category. You included.

If he had a "student ID" it was not the correct ID as the card needs to be a concession card (many different types) or a low income health card. They will almost always let you off on this (as both my sister and myself was in school). Then even if you don't get off. If you send a letter saying you are sorry and send a copy of the correct card they will also let you off (if it is your first offence). Worth keeping that in mind.

As for the inspectors attitude. It seems odd he would be aggressive and intimidating as it does not add up with out son getting off with a warning. However I will take your sons word on that part. Again though send a letter and they will ALWAYS look into the incident. If the guard had a history of being aggressive for no reason. Your complaint may get him reassigned or fired.

He's got the correct I.d., I asked him tonight.
As for it being odd about the attitude, up until the other day, my kids hadn't experienced this but I'd read plenty on here and heard a few real life examples from other parents. I just assumed it happened to people that were being cheeky or difficult to these clowns. I'm happy to say I was wrong and based on my sons experience, it seems to be an inherent problem with several inspectors that quite obviously failed their police entrance exam.
As I previously said, my sons a good kid, these school holidays he's spent time doing nothing but going to the cricket, soccer (he even bought his own tickets to the Aus v Korea match in Brisbane and flew up their on his own to stay with a mate) and doing homework as he is doing VCE this year and going to the gym. I believe what he's told me.
Again, I'm very protective of my kids, when I hear that one of them has been intimidated or scared by an adult I'll be angry 100% of the time.
You've now defended these people many times on here, I suspect you or someone you know is an inspector and you have clouded judgement.

Saw 6 of them in action today, nothing happened to me as such but they were sizing me up - 3 of them were checking the myki's of people at the front of the bus and the other 3 were hovering at the door at the middle of the bus. The version of me as a 10 year old probably would have cried because of how mean they looked :D, they were actually fairly nice until my myki wasn't scanning properly on their scanners. I touched on AND off four times today, they asked me if I had touched off when the bus reached it's destination and I said yes of course (bit of a lie, I touched off at the traffic intersection 30 seconds before the bus got to the final stop... I know it's a nelly no no and from what I have read I could have been booked then and there for not touching on/off properly).

In the end they were disappointed that they couldn't book me with a fine :D, however one of them saw my balance and said I had better top up today. I was going to be a smart arse back but decided against it, I had $21 left on the card.... unless they thought it said $2.10. I double checked this at the myki top up kiosk and I was right - $21.07. I tend to only top up when I have between $8 - $12 left on it.

I have had two other run ins in the past at different stations, the strangest (which I posted about on here some time ago) was at Box Hill Station. It was my first time there and I genuinely had no idea where I was going, they thought I was trying to get to a train for free........ I was looking for the bus line which was in the complete opposite direction :oops:. The older guy looked like he wanted to rough me up, the younger officer understood being in an unfamiliar suburb (at that point in time it was my first time I had been to Box Hill since the early 90's when I was like 10 years old).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there were heaps of them at the Melbourne Uni tram stop on Swanston St as I rode past this afternoon - Told 'em to get a real job like a normally do...

hate em
Vultures back whilst uni and school picks up. Grubs

Not a ticket inspector but one of my mates got fined for spitting on the railway tracks on the platform a while back by the police. I'm probably not a fan of people spitting in public but I would have thought that's not a bad place to do it if you have to do it. I think his asking for the officers details probably pushed it from a warning to an actual fine tho. A bit harsh I thought.

Not a ticket inspector but one of my mates got fined for spitting on the railway tracks on the platform a while back by the police. I'm probably not a fan of people spitting in public but I would have thought that's not a bad place to do it if you have to do it. I think his asking for the officers details probably pushed it from a warning to an actual fine tho. A bit harsh I thought.
What was the actual offence on the fine? Littering?

Some of them need to head to the Police Academy and train up for the SWAT team such is their attitude. They are not police they are transport workers whose job it is to check tickets and fine people where appropriate. I realise in some instances that they are up against it if attempting to fine someone they could run off/become aggressive but if such a situation occurs the Police are supposed to be called anyway as they have the power to take names/address/details lay charges/arrest etc.

If fare evasion is such a massive problem/costing millions then simply station ticket inspectors at the actual station trouble spots and ensure everyone has a valid ticket before they get on.

If fare evasion is such a massive problem/costing millions then simply station ticket inspectors at the actual station trouble spots and ensure everyone has a valid ticket before they get on.

otherwise known as a ticket conductor

however they want their cake and they want to eat it too - and the way the government contracts played out during privatisation, they got it..

state government garauntees the money lost from fare evasion, so it's not in their interests to ensure everyone has a ticket - they get the money anyway- in the meantime, they get to double dip but fining people exhorbidant amounts and they get to play tough guys...

Let's face it.....ticket inspectors are pretty s**t people, but they're still one rung higher on the gene pool than the freeloaders who try to ride for free
yes I agree

in life there are several ranks of 'scum'

number one, is lower-middle/middle middle class 'anglos' who love terms like "scum" when describing:
sex offenders
child abusers
footballers who do not play for their team
people who ride on trams for free

if we brought back the death penalty (we should) we should kill:
sex offenders
child abusers

'public transport' should be a 'public good'
cheap/free
easy/enjoyable

ultimately you're just angry that people 'get away with it'/realise the repercussions are 'Almost Nothing' when getting out of a fine
and you tap on
and when you didn't on one occasion 'en route to: Asian Beer Cafe'
you thought
'typical'

if we brought in Sharia Law
we should also bring in
public executions for:
sex offenders
child abusers

they should