Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
And this might be the one. For me, the flag says "happy" like a thousand kitty youtube videos

1453772446123.jpg

Its really optimistic, but would it endure one or two hundred years from now?

IMO the flag is the real lynchpin in the republican debate, yet republicans want to avoid talking about it because it is too controversial. All this talk of an Aus head of state, changes in constitution wording etc is just skirting round the real elephant in the room - no one will agree on an alternate flag, but we won't have a republic while keeping the current one.

When Lizzie (and I really like her fwiw) dies off, all those non citizen pre-86 poms who refuse to become citizens yet get the vote will have died off too.

Then it will happen, just be ready with a constitution, a set of symbols that most agree on, and the rest is "future" history.

Lizzie is 90, her mother lived till 102. She looks in far better health though.

needs red and black for Aboriginal representation
I'm told that in the main, indigenous see their flag as distinct, with no need to mix the two.

I'm born in Yorkshire England, and feel connection to the union flag (which is a brilliant design symbol and meant to signify union or inclusion) but feel no desire for it to be part of Australias national symbolism either

Last edited:
And this might be the one. For me, the flag says "happy" like a thousand kitty youtube videos

1453772446123.jpg

so ugly

needs to involve a roo possibly, current flag is much better than that.

Yahoo%20Serious.jpg

Screen+shot+2011-12-18+at+9.05.37+PM.png

076.gif

Saw something on tv recently as a new flag idea i think sky news, don't think it had a roo in it i can't remember i just remember it looked good and would work. damn memory

Canada has the maple leaf, New Zealand very soon will have the silver fern, the kangaroo is probably the best we have in the symbolism images.

Very strongly support removing the British flag from our flag.

The equivalent of Maple Leaf or silver fern is the southern cross, which is always pictured on any alternat flag. It needs distinction form the new Zealand one, usually this is done with the colours green and gold.
google a kangaroo or a boomerang and you see more pictures of the actual thing than symbolism. Not so silver fern or maple leaf (to a lesser extent)

This research shows a popular alternate symbol has grown through sporting association. Our boxing kangaroo was very popular but obviously too cartoonish (and were we ever any good at boxing)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1453772446123.jpg

Trying to explain it further, this one seems to hit a nice balance between new symbolism and enduring gravitas (it is a flag after all)
It cant be too cartoonish, nor can it be too stuffy
but I would have thought the blue would be the current darker blue

1453772446123.jpg

It's more a beach towel then a national flag that instills a sense of pride and passion in someone.

Keep the flag as is, or use the Eureka flag. At least the Eureka flag has some meaning and history behind it that is Australian.

so ugly

needs to involve a roo possibly, current flag is much better than that.

Yahoo%20Serious.jpg

Screen+shot+2011-12-18+at+9.05.37+PM.png

076.gif

Saw something on tv recently as a new flag idea i think sky news, don't think it had a roo in it i can't remember i just remember it looked good and would work. damn memory

Flags like that belong to unstable banana republic pacific islands that nobody can find on a map.
Those designs aren't even worthy of being a state or territory flag, not even for our far flung territories.

needs red and black for Aboriginal representation

No it doesn't, and this is one of the big reasons why it won't get changed. People will want to include black and red on top of our national colours and it will look stupid. Black, yellow, red and blue don't mix and it will look hideous.

It needs to be either red/white/blue or green/gold. Once you have 4+ colours it starts to look horrendous.

Something like this would be better than any of those 4+ colour abominations with the southern cross on them. Simple, bold and not pandering to any particular racial group (note that I don't want it to change, but if it did, something like this would be best)

flag_zps2f8c1db1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back