Injury Tom Hawkins - back injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on his injury, it may be something he has to manage for his entire career and life. losing weight will help and developing more core strength.
That's at least one area of this I've found strange this year. Tommy seemed to get bigger and bigger, and not in a defined sort of way. Surely they'd back off his protein intake etc. if he wasn't able to run as much or lift weights during the week. My eyes could have been deceiving me, and I may also not know what I'm talking about:). But I would have thought losing a little weight could only be a good thing for a back issue.

But yes like others have said it would be good to know the full story, if in fact they have it. Brad Ottens knee, Chappy's hammy, they are always a little coy about these things. There's Coleman medal bets to be had after all....

That's at least one area of this I've found strange this year. Tommy seemed to get bigger and bigger, and not in a defined sort of way. Surely they'd back off his protein intake etc. if he wasn't able to run as much or lift weights during the week. My eyes could have been deceiving me, and I may also not know what I'm talking about:). But I would have thought losing a little weight could only be a good thing for a back issue.

But yes like others have said it would be good to know the full story, if in fact they have it. Brad Ottens knee, Chappy's hammy, they are always a little coy about these things. There's Coleman medal bets to be had after all....

Surely the fact that he couldnt train or run properly wouldnt help his weight during the year.

Surely the fact that he couldnt train or run properly wouldnt help his weight during the year.
Yes but generally a footballer's diet would be way above the normal bloke's needs in terms of calorie intake due to the energy required to be powerful and run all day. I was pondering whether they/he changed his diet at all to reflect the reduced energy expenditure of not training, lifting as much etc. You would hope so.

He did look a bit bigger this year. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been doing as much impact exercise like running etc.
Speaking from experience in back injuries he'll have to hit the pool and the bike more and avoid lots of running until it improves.

Apologies if I have missed something but I thought I read during the year that Hawkins will have Surgery on his back at seasons end? Or it assumed that a long period of rest will fix the issue? If its the latter, I'm worried we might end up with another season of what we had this year.

A final decision should be made over the next week. Hawk has a degenerative disc condition. At present they are weighing up rest vs surgery. Surgery will mean he misses the early rounds of 2014. Rest may go some way towards a solution, but as you have stated, could also see another season like 2013, or worse. Either way he will need to manage the condition throughout his career, and life post-footy.

As far as I know surgery is an absolutely last resort, given that its such a risky area and any idea of how long it would take to recover is majorly skeptical and varies a lot from patient to patient.

As far as I know surgery is an absolutely last resort, given that its such a risky area and any idea of how long it would take to recover is majorly skeptical and varies a lot from patient to patient.

was talking to my physio and he was saying at hawkins age there is no way they go the surgery route.

but it really depends on what the issue is, ie bulged v prolapsed and where in spine the disc is.

my bulged disc improved in 2 weeks of doing nothing but walking and being careful.

Too true on the 'last resort' and 'varies a lot' statements. Hate to think where I'd be without a high pain threshold, the right attitude, and a desire to prove the experts wrong. Having said that, I'll probably walk out into a gentle breeze and snap in half one day :oops: ,.. but knowing all facts, screw the knife and welding tools until they are the only option remaining.

was talking to my physio and he was saying at hawkins age there is no way they go the surgery route.

but it really depends on what the issue is, ie bulged v prolapsed and where in spine the disc is.

my bulged disc improved in 2 weeks of doing nothing but walking and being careful.
No hot passionate sex then.:rolleyes:

Too true on the 'last resort' and 'varies a lot' statements. Hate to think where I'd be without a high pain threshold, the right attitude, and a desire to prove the experts wrong. Having said that, I'll probably walk out into a gentle breeze and snap in half one day :oops: ,.. but screw the knife and welding tools until they are the only option remaining.

having no idea on exactly what his issue is, but if his bulged disc has pressed on his sciatic nerve then his threshold is extremely high. the worst pain i have had, ever.

having no idea on exactly what his issue is, but if his bulged disc has pressed on his sciatic nerve then his threshold is extremely high. the worst pain i have had, ever.
Baaah,.. sciatica is just God's way of letting you know he has a sense of humour. Takes your legs out for a laugh :D

But seriously, we will probably not know the truth of his condition unless/until Hawkins recovers and finally retires. And I hate being forced to speculate in the meantime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baaah,.. sciatica is just God's way of letting you know he has a sense of humour. Takes your legs out for a laugh :D

But seriously, we will probably not know the truth of his condition unless/until Hawkins recovers and finally retires. And I hate being forced to speculate in the meantime.

i didnt see the funny side.:D

dont think we will unless he goes under the knife.

Back injuries usually do surgery as a last resort. He has only been off playing for 2 weeks and they will probably want a much longer rest time to see what rest actually does. He may very well just rest the off season entirely and front up to go again.

I cant see them pushing the knife on a 24 year old that has not had an extended rest period to see what proper rest actually does.

Go Catters

Back injuries usually do surgery as a last resort. He has only been off playing for 2 weeks and they will probably want a much longer rest time to see what rest actually does. He may very well just rest the off season entirely and front up to go again.

I cant see them pushing the knife on a 24 year old that has not had an extended rest period to see what proper rest actually does.

Go Catters

Should have rested him during the season to see what difference that made and hope we won games without him. Then he may have been in better shape come the finals.

Word has it he looked better against Hawthorn than he had for months. Not sure what that means ?

He had a good day rather than a bad back day, his resting a bit and a week off earlier had some positive results or maybe both factors were in play - or it is all a mystery really.

But it sounds like we could rest him for a few months and he turns up at pre-season and we just have to wait and see what happens. Not good. We should have been on top of this earlier I think. I am sure they thought they were doing and following the best advice but it just did not turn out that way.

jajaj que picante! "Que rico, que rico , que rico".
Hola!... Lo siento mucho, mb :(
Spicy no more.​
CrazyWomanCreek_zpsf9e23ce6.jpg
[ Population 1]​

Say what? Have you tried reverse cowgirl?
villagepeople_zps5b2a7b55.jpg
Say what!... :eek:
Did somebody say Hawkins has an injury? :D

So if Hawkins isn't right to play round 1 against Freo, then we'll play Kerston/Vardy in the forward line and West/Blicavs in the ruck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back