Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Remove this Banner Ad

If he played to the point where Buddy was limitations wise, he'd go on another 3 years. I suspect this year will be his last but if he kicks another 40+ and hands 10+ more off, there would be a bit to think about.

I would be trying to get 18 games into him during the H&A. That's 3 games a month and would hopefully help with any niggles he has. Give Cameron 3 weeks off and there's 8 games for Neale as a key target in the forward line. And it may even mean we get one more good season out of Hawkins in 2025 if he is feeling good.

Gonna be a massive week whence he catches and then passes Sel for the game record.

Dont wanna miss those.

Glad he's re-signed and not that I ever really thought he was leaving, but its better to have it done clearly.

Superlatives do not adequately describe what he's added to the club and he will no doubt succeed in leaving it better than he found it.

I just hope the Neale gets enough game time with him this year to benefit as well and if ever there was a year to do it for Tom.... this is it.

GO Catters

If he played to the point where Buddy was limitations wise, he'd go on another 3 years. I suspect this year will be his last but if he kicks another 40+ and hands 10+ more off, there would be a bit to think about.

I would be trying to get 18 games into him during the H&A. That's 3 games a month and would hopefully help with any niggles he has. Give Cameron 3 weeks off and there's 8 games for Neale as a key target in the forward line. And it may even mean we get one more good season out of Hawkins in 2025 if he is feeling good.

Buddy kicked 50+ goals last year, more than Tom did this year. His demise wasn’t anywhere near as bad as some were saying.

Anyway, glad we’ll get to Tom run around for another year

Buddy kicked 50+ goals last year, more than Tom did this year. His demise wasn’t anywhere near as bad as some were saying.

On the eye test Buddy was gone the second half of last year. In 3 finals he managed 4 shots on goal total and went goalless in 2 games. It was clear he was done. It was like Menzel, he kicked over 2 a game in his last two years at Geelong but it was clear he was shot too. Goals are not a great absolute measure.

On the eye test Buddy was gone the second half of last year. In 3 finals he managed 4 shots on goal total and went goalless in 2 games. It was clear he was done. It was like Menzel, he kicked over 2 a game in his last two years at Geelong but it was clear he was shot too. Goals are not a great absolute measure.

I thought if he had any vaguely competent opponent on him he didn't touch the ball. If it happened to fall his way on his own he might - might - have gotten a touch. Was clearly shot to pieces by mid-season to me as well.

Buddy's goals per game still declined by 0.57 in 2022 (when Sydney were much better than the previous year) and then another 0.8 in 2023.

Hawkins declined by just 0.23 this year, going from a dominant to non dominant season, and his average still essentially matched his 2019 AA season when Geelong were a top 2 side.

He was still in a fair amount of people's floating AA sides until his injury against Freo (having the highest goal/assist combo average in the league at that point).

The trajectories don't necessarily have to match but if they did, then Hawkins 2024 would be around Franklin's 2022 and then maybe 2025 would be a notable decline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins first four goal game was in Round 3 on 15 April 2007.

Nearly 17 years passed since last night adding four more.

A true icon of this club and game.

This Monday's game will be huge.

He is a player who over and over can look cooked but keeps on delivering. His work up the ground on Friday night was just excellent.

The whole underrated/overrated discussion can get silly at times, but I think Hawkins is one of the most underrated players in the game's history.

He really is that good.

I don't think Hawkins has dropped off like suggested. He is pretty useless jumping for a pack mark so a team that old school floods like Ross Lyon's Saints did aren't going to create an environment to thrive...but that's been the case for 5-6 years. Everything that made him an AA captain is still there. I bet he has a fantastic year and hope he gives us one more before hanging up the boots.

Or longer. Why shouldn't the AFL have an analogue to James Anderson, George Blanda, or Miura Kazuyoshi? And why shouldn't it be Tom Hawkins?

Or another Tom like Brady...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back