Toast Tom Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

We had 1 big forward in the 2011 GF and seemed to go OK from memory.

Won't cut it now,....that ball will rebound so fast, what happened last year? Those names are fine and what we desperately need, you've got your head in the sand!
Near enough isn't good enough, we need to find the missing link and it's the tall forward.

Last edited:
If you really think Bellchambers or Griffiths- both lumbering ruck types are gonna solve our problem up forward you're the one with your head in the sand.

Our forward line works best with space and quick ball movement as the last 5 weeks have shown. Those players are the opposite. They won't be better than Hmac in that role either.

Last edited:
And honestly I'm loath to trust your judgement on what player types we need after your "we must draft 7 foot tall midfield types" ranting.

And honestly I'm loath to trust your judgement on what player types we need after your "we must draft 7 foot tall midfield types" ranting.

That's just rubbish carry on and you know it, you're purposely saying silly things because your prefer your favourite smalls. Nothing wrong with the way Griffiths was moving last night, you just watch and take note what happens to us in the finals and most big games for want of that proper tall Fwd.

Why do you think it's always an arm wrestle to win these days yet we're a top team?

Last edited:
Won't cut it now,....that ball will rebound so fast, what happened last year? Those names are fine and what we desperately need, you've got your head in the sand!
Near enough isn't good enough, we need to find the missing link and it's the tall forward.

And a crumming forward who can make use of the ball when it hits the turf.
It frustrates me no end when opposition defenders run the ball out of our forward line with no pressure.

Three behind in the Coleman with three games to go. C'mon Tommy.

He's getting held every time the ball goes forward and he's got to catch Buddy and Rough, but he's in with a chance.

Probably catch Roughhead, especially given Roughy will probably play 1 less game than Tom.

May not catch Buddy, who has an easy run home, compared with Tom.

He's a champion and imho the best forward in the game because he always influences the contest even against the best teams (Something Buddy has never been able to do), he doesn't need a coleman to prove that. I hope that next year with a forwardline possibly including Vardy, Menzel, and a more experienced Kersten, will see the Hawk get off the leash alot more often and see him own the colman.

And a crumming forward who can make use of the ball when it hits the turf.
It frustrates me no end when opposition defenders run the ball out of our forward line with no pressure.

Only proves the point the small forward line doesn't do it's job properly anyhow,..... maybe one less means work harder, and the additional tall means better crumbing???
But I liked Jimmy's and Tommy's game.
Ceglar, 204cm, Lowden 204cm and Grimley 199cm, that's just at Hawthorn.

Only proves the point the small forward line doesn't do it's job properly anyhow,..... maybe one less means work harder, and the additional tall means better crumbing???
But I liked Jimmy's and Tommy's game.
Ceglar, 204cm, Lowden 204cm and Grimley 199cm, that's just at Hawthorn.

How can an additional tall mean better crumbing?
The "small forward line" hasn't existed, because the only 2 crumbers available - Burbury and McCarthy - have been out injured, and it's now too late to bring them back.
We're going into the finals without a CHF, and without a crumber, unless they gamble on returning McCarthy to replace an injured player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely love this guy. For his first few years, half the supporters wanted him axed. Club persisted with him and now we would be stuffed without him. Honestly, with Tom out of the side, we would be 6th / 7th in my opinion. He's so critical, which is slightly dangerous for us if he gets injured. We need to blood the next big forward asap. Tommy seems like a really nice guy too. Sometimes I forget he's only my age, because he's such a monster.

Three behind in the Coleman with three games to go. C'mon Tommy.

He's getting held every time the ball goes forward and he's got to catch Buddy and Rough, but he's in with a chance.
"Getting held" is an understatement!
Gee, it's frustrating to watch! Poor Tom- and the umpires watch and (usually) do nothing.

Tom's game on Saturday was pretty much the best one goal game I've ever seen by a key forward. He was amazing, his second efforts and aggression were brilliant.

He got mugged, felt up, molested and didn't even get a number….

Tough night for TH… but what a KPF he is…

GO Catters

How can an additional tall mean better crumbing?
The "small forward line" hasn't existed, because the only 2 crumbers available - Burbury and McCarthy - have been out injured, and it's now too late to bring them back.
We're going into the finals without a CHF, and without a crumber, unless they gamble on returning McCarthy to replace an injured player.

We have 1 tall in our forwardline, Tom Hawkins, most of the time when the ball's coming in high he's double teamed, effectively held out of the contest.
What the extra true tall would bring is the oppositions need to man him up, freeing Hawkins for a one on one, or giving us a free marking tall inside 50.
Absolutely vital for Tom not to chase kicks further up the ground out of scoring range.

The smalls also benefit from the opportunity given from the two talls with their palming and knock-ons, It also opens up play for small forwards rather than have them all squabbling over the ball in congested situations, hence improved opportunity for them to score.

It's a win/win for both smalls and talls, but at the moment there's an imbalance that's hurting us on the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back