Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we have a target with pick 14.
A gun target like Cameron Wood (pick 18), Mitch Clark (pick 9), James Sellar (pick 14), Patrick Veszpremi (pick 11), Lewis Johnston (pick 12 in superdraft), Gary Rohan (pick 6), Lewis Jetta (pick 14), Jed Lamb (pick 21), Dean Towers (pick 22), Zak Jones (pick 15).

That isn't cherry picking, it is every single non-shenanigans Kinnear Beatson first round pick since 2004.

Who would be happier given all the circumstances (including this morning's news re Sam) though? I'd think the Hawks would be happier to be honest.

In simple terms Tom is badly needed by the Hawks now and we should have made the most of that at the negotiation table.
I agree. I think we're too soft when it comes to trades. I'm not saying we need to screw other clubs, just get something fairer. Titch is worth more than pick 14. Add to that giving away players for diddly squat, ie Biggs, Membrey, Everett, etc. We always seem to pay a fair price to get players in.

A gun target like Cameron Wood (pick 18), Mitch Clark (pick 9), James Sellar (pick 14), Patrick Veszpremi (pick 11), Lewis Johnston (pick 12 in superdraft), Gary Rohan (pick 6), Lewis Jetta (pick 14), Jed Lamb (pick 21), Dean Towers (pick 22), Zak Jones (pick 15).

That isn't cherry picking, it is every single non-shenanigans Kinnear Beatson first round pick since 2004.
That's why most of our decent players come from the later rounds or Rookie draft.

He got Jones right.

Seems to be taking quite some time for this breaking news to drop in other outlets.

Sam Landsberger saying on Twitter that Hawthorn are "likely to send" us Pick 14, but maybe he just got that from BF

Thought you might have eased up on him after the talent we blooded this year.

Either way... Let's hope we're planning to trade any first rounders for a bunch of picks in the 50's and 60's

Crikey. We've really screwed up those high draft picks haven't we. Fortunately we don't get too many of them. I'm amazed at how we can screw up the high picks yet do so well with the 2nd and 3rd rounders. Is it a different person making the decisions on these players?

Crikey. We've really screwed up those high draft picks haven't we. Fortunately we don't get too many of them. I'm amazed at how we can screw up the high picks yet do so well with the 2nd and 3rd rounders. Is it a different person making the decisions on these players?

I suspect in the first round we select for absolute talent whereas in later rounds character and work ethic etc come into it far more.

Haha I didn't know he was responsible for Sellar. jfc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We picked Vespremi ahead of Rioli just after the Crows had picked Dangerfield that year. Not all bad we picked up Craig Bird with pick 59.

We picked Vespremi ahead of Rioli just after the Crows had picked Dangerfield that year. Not all bad we picked up Craig Bird with pick 59.
Bird was NSW scholarship so picked him up with last pick of our draft.

No idea, but look what happened to Brisbane's first round drafting the instant Beatson left:

2006 - Leuenberger
2007 - Henderson
2008 - Rich
2010 - Polec
2011 - Longer
2012 - Mayes
2013 - Aish
2015 - Schache

Note no utter garbage like Cameron Wood and James Sellar. They just can't hang onto anybody (see bolded)

I suspect in the first round we select for absolute talent whereas in later rounds character and work ethic etc come into it far more.

Probably also the fact that it's a more obvious miss being a first round pick. Everyone expects top 20 to be absolute guns when really it's only the top 5-10. Think it's more even in the 10 -40 range.

No idea, but look what happened to Brisbane's first round drafting the instant Beatson left:

2006 - Leuenberger
2007 - Henderson
2008 - Rich
2010 - Polec
2011 - Longer
2012 - Mayes
2013 - Aish
2015 - Schache

Note no utter garbage like Cameron Wood and James Sellar. They just can't hang onto anybody (see bolded)

What do you think accounts for his failure in the first round, but success in later rounds?

Probably also the fact that it's a more obvious miss being a first round pick. Everyone expects top 20 to be absolute guns when really it's only the top 5-10. Think it's more even in the 10 -40 range.
Although there is a gap between the top 8 and picks 9-20, there's a clear gap between the top 20 and the rest and it is right to expect better quality players with those picks.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/list-management-101.1114741/page-2#post-42060336

2006 - Leuenberger
2007 - Henderson
2008 - Rich
2010 - Polec
2011 - Longer
2012 - Mayes
2013 - Aish
2015 - Schache

STOP that is depressing!!!

What do you think accounts for his failure in the first round, but success in later rounds?

The rest of the staff are left flabbergasted by his first round pick and take over perhaps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back