MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

the falcon was a push. horrible non call. smart by weitering doing it so early
Absolutely. Live it was horrendous. 2 hands in the middle of the back. A lot of comments on here are from people not at the game, because he runs a hell of a lot more than what you see on TV.

Also I watched Jack Macrae for about 2 mins at the exclusion of everything else. The non rewarded running he does to be the chop out on the fat side of half back is immense.

Absolutely. Live it was horrendous. 2 hands in the middle of the back. A lot of comments on here are from people not at the game, because he runs a hell of a lot more than what you see on TV.

Also I watched Jack Macrae for about 2 mins at the exclusion of everything else. The non rewarded running he does to be the chop out on the fat side of half back is immense.
also love him as a tackler coming in off the side of the square. He does the tough stuff well does Jacko

Here is a left field idea - could Macrae play along half back as a replacement for JJ or Bob?

I think the defensive pressure he could provide would be great. Obviously not the same disposal, but that isnt an issue. We have enough mid rotations to cover him in the centre and he could really expose teams with his workrate. Would make our defensive unit even tighter than it currently is. His height could also come in handy.

Here is a left field idea - could Macrae play along half back as a replacement for JJ or Bob?

I think the defensive pressure he could provide would be great. Obviously not the same disposal, but that isnt an issue. We have enough mid rotations to cover him in the centre and he could really expose teams with his workrate. Would make our defensive unit even tighter than it currently is. His height could also come in handy.
He's not penetrating enough IMO. His kicking is great to create, but not to penetrate. I think we will just have to play slower.

He's not penetrating enough IMO. His kicking is great to create, but not to penetrate. I think we will just have to play slower.

His kicking, 9 times out of 10, has been under duress, and we have seen with Matty Boyd the difference a move from mid can make to disposal.

I recall very early in Macrae's career some penetrating long bombs going about 60 metres. Havent seen any recently, and the action is weird, but a change in pos may work.

In any event I suspect Bev will cover this by rotating mids through half back.

His kicking, 9 times out of 10, has been under duress, and we have seen with Matty Boyd the difference a move from mid can make to disposal.

I recall very early in Macrae's career some penetrating long bombs going about 60 metres. Havent seen any recently, and the action is weird, but a change in pos may work.

In any event I suspect Bev will cover this by rotating mids through half back.
I love Macrae's creativity with his kicking and his effectiveness getting the ball to where the player will be (not where he was) is fantastic. BUT he's not a penetrating kick and his running is workmanlike. We need someone a little more breakneck IMO to replicate JJ, but, let's be honest, we don't have another one :(

Do not normally post negative comments but I just do not see Tommy becoming a star. Yes he will improve but if you are not good below your knees as a key forward you need to be able to take a few big grabs a game. Other than that mark against pies in the NAB cup I have seen very few strong grabs.

At the time of recruiting him I said to my football mad Carlton mate I like our balls at being able to get him but I sure to hell hope he will be a star for pick 6/ Griffen and the cost of the contract.

I think from memory if we did not to the deal we would have got pick 5 from GWS kept 6 and had more room salary cap to entice another player. I guess we have got so many draft picks/rookie and trades right recently you can't get them all right. I think Tom will be o/k but what we gave up and what he is costing us may prevent us from the holy grail. This is not Tom's fault but he is just not the star we hoping he would be, I think we all know this but do not want to say it.

Ok balls on the line. Let's see how everyone is prepared to predict what level he will get to. No edits, no bullshit, just give your rating.

The rating is from Liam Jones (1) to Josh Kennedy (10).

Will he end up like Liam Jones, Travis Cloke, Josh Kennedy, Tom Lynch, Tom Hawkins, Jon Patton, Josh Jenkins???

My tip is he will end up an 8 out of 10 player. A bona fide A grade tall forward who commands the forward line. Somewhere around Tom Hawkins/Travis Cloke type level.

Ok balls on the line. Let's see how everyone is prepared to predict what level he will get to. No edits, no bullshit, just give your rating.

Will he end up like Liam Jones, Travis Cloke, Josh Kennedy, Tom Lynch, Tom Hawkins, Jon Patton, Josh Jenkins???

My tip is he will end up an 8 out of 10 player. A bona fide A grade tall forward who commands the forward line. Somewhere around Tom Hawkins/Travis Cloke type level.
His floor is a Jay Schultz type. Probably a 6.5-7 at worst. Ceiling is immeasurable which is why we picked him up.

People need to relax, yup sure he is being overpaid this year, but that was the price we paid to lure him, come back in two years, the next couple are all development.

Because there are those who love stats - just look over the same age comparison between him and the player commonly referred to as the best forward in the competition, Tom Lynch.
image.jpeg
You would hardly describe these stats for Lynch as amazing, but kids get better. I know it's a strange concept, but they really do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins is where I see him getting, with a greater ability to give a chop out in the ruck. Would be ecstatic if that's where he ends up.

I'm going to go with an 8/10.,sometimes he worries me but I'm hingeing to much on him. I'm not sure about everyone else but I sometimes watch him like a freaked out old woman. Every time he does something good I'm way to joyous,every mistake I become panicky,then I think,there's plenty of time and even if he's a serviceable player and target with this list we are in a good place.

The more I see of him the more I think Tippett, Petrie or Hale, which is consistent with his height. Not necessarily a Coleman medal winner as he doesn't have the athleticism to get separation on the lead or be involved at ground level to beef up his tally, but a very valuable contested marking player and genuine 2nd ruck. 9/10 for me which is how I would rate Tippett, Petrie or Hale at their best

I try not to be too rose coloured - I thought he was disappointing on Saturday night, but yes, he's going to have games like those. As I've said, I have thought Stringer has been very poor the last fortnight, but I have faith in both of them that this is a minor blip and, more importantly, we're still winning. I guess every time I think of what Boyd will be, not what he is, I just have to look at 2 pieces of footage from the NAB Cup, 20 seconds apart, to show me what we can expect more of over time.

I can't stress enough that what we are seeing from him at the moment is about 40-50% of what we can expect. Body shape will change, strength will grow and, more importantly, confidence will grow; the confidence and swagger that saw him a universal number 1 pick.

I can count on one hand the number of times Tom has been hit lace out on the lead. I'm the first to admit he doesn't look to get on the lead as much as he should, but he's probably spending 99% of the game stuffed.

What this 20 seconds of play showed was that when he gets separation he's dominant and when he gets a clean run at the ball without having 63 defenders hanging off him, he's dominant.

He'll be fine.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Interesting definition of a 10. Kennedy only has 1 Coleman and an average of 2.25 goals per game. Franklin has 3 Colemans at 3.2 goals per game and Jack Riewoldt has 2 Colemans and averages closer to 2.4 a game so I guess it's not out of 10.
Given the Kennedy definition I would give Boyd a 10 as I think he will win a Coleman and average over 2.25 over his career. That said I don't think he will get to the level of Plugger, Abblett or Franklin.

Interesting definition of a 10. Kennedy only has 1 Coleman and an average of 2.25 goals per game. Franklin has 3 Colemans at 3.2 goals per game and Jack Riewoldt has 2 Colemans and averages closer to 2.4 a game so I guess it's not out of 10.
Given the Kennedy definition I would give Boyd a 10 as I think he will win a Coleman and average over 2.25 over his career. That said I don't think he will get to the level of Plugger, Abblett or Franklin.
I was trying to use the tall, power forward as the example - granted Liam Jones isn't that but it was a way of defining him as a 1 ;)

For the record, I think Hawkins is a 8/10 forward because he lacks mobility, any defensive nous and is a poor shot at goal traditionally (he has improved though). I honestly think Boyd will end up better than Hawkins.

For the record, I think Hawkins is a 8/10 forward because he lacks mobility, any defensive nous and is a poor shot at goal traditionally (he has improved though). I honestly think Boyd will end up better than Hawkins.

It's honestly too early to say. For instance, if Boyd develops chronic shoulder problems then he is screwed. With Boyd my eyes tell me one thing - logic tells me another.

If I was looking at Saturday night in isolation Boyd could end up as good as Vickery say 4/10.

I'll back every recruiter in the country having Boyd a clear no 1 and say if he stays fit Boyd's floor is 4/10 (about Watts' career rating so far and that IMO is as bad as it gets for recent no 1 picks).

His ceiling is somewhere around Kennedy/Hawkins/Tippett I guess.

My ratings are career ratings - not a peak they hit for a couple of years.

Key forwards. I have N Reiwoldt and Buddy at 10. Roughead at 9.5. Richo at 9.5. Tippett at 7. Jack Reiwoldt 8.5 Kennedy 8.0. Hawkins 7.5. Hale 5.5.

Boyd 4-8.

In short Boyd could be anything or just a player.

In order to even see Boyd having a decent AFL career, I actually have to disregard the misjudging of the ball, the concrete hands, the poor set shot kicking, the spilling of uncontested and chest marks, the sloth like movement, the slow hands, etc

Why? Because so many people who know way more about footy than me have predicted otherwise. And he is big. And he is young. And he sometimes shows flashes of real talent.

But mostly because our well performed list management team think he is worth a massive long term contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back