Top 4 Battle

Who do you think will finish in the top 4?

• Chelsea

Votes: 56 88.9%
  • City

Votes: 54 85.7%
  • United

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 57 90.5%
  • Liverpool

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Spurs

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Southampton

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel this deserves its own thread. With 9 games to go qualification for Champions League football is as wide open as ever. Let's assume that Chelsea/City occupy the top two positions and the other two positions will be filled by 2 of Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool, Spurs & Southampton.

Chelsea 64
Hull(a), Stoke(h), QPR(a), ManU(h), Arsenal(a), Leicester(a), CP(h), Liverpool(h), WBA(a), Sunderland(h)

City 58
West Brom (h), Crystal Palace (a), Man United (a), West Ham (h), Aston Villa (h) Tottenham (a), QPR (h), Swansea (a), Southampton (h).

Arsenal 57
Newcastle (a), Liverpool (h), Burnley (a), Sunderland (h), Chelsea (h) Hull (a) Swansea (h), Man United (a), West Brom (h).

United 56
Liverpool (a), Aston Villa (h), Man City (h), Chelsea (a), Everton (a), West Brom (h), Crystal Palace (a), Arsenal (h), Hull (a)

Liverpool 54

Man United (h), Arsenal (a), Newcastle (h), Hull (a), West Brom (a), QPR (h), Chelsea (a), Crystal Palace (h) Stoke (a).

Tottenham 50
Leicester (h), Burnley (a), Aston Villa (h), Newcastle (a), Southampton (a), Manchester City (h), Stoke (a), Hull (h), Everton (a).

Southampton 50
Burnley (h), Everton (a), Hull (h), Stoke (a), Tottenham (h), Sunderland (a), Leicester (a), Aston Villa (h), Man City (a).

Spurs have the easiest run. Liverpool have the most difficult run. Arsenal you can almost guarantee will finish in the top 4 IMO and will end up 3rd. Very difficult 4th. Man Utd & Liverpool have the better form but Spurs & Southampton have the easier run home. Incredibly difficult to pick but I think United will end up finishing 4th.

Who does everyone think will finish in 3rd & 4th?
Based on last season, something about this fixture seems very ominous for Liverpool :eek:

Based on last season, something about this fixture seems very ominous for Liverpool :eek:

It's actually the reverse this time around - i.e., last season it was Chelsea at home and Palace away. The placement in the fixture is the same though, which is an interesting coincidence.

The Palace game will also be Gerrard's last home game, so you would think we would be up for that one. Hopefully by the time the Chelsea game rolls around they will have won the title or at least not be in any danger or not winning it as that would improve our chances of a result.

Can't see Chelsea taking it easy even if things are wrapped up at that point.

I doubt they will either but a team that has won the league already will be lacking motivation. It certainly would increase our chances of getting points at SB if they are champions by then IMO.

I think Jose wouldn't allow them to drop off against Liverpool. He seems to like beating them more than anyone else, probably a throwback to those champions league battles.

Jose or the players might not consciously want to give any less than normal but people often become satisfied with success. It's human nature.

One team would have nothing to play for, against a team likely to be fighting desperately for every point. Even if only subconsciously, the same motivation or "edge" likely just would not be there for Chelsea (or any team in their position).

That of itself doesn't guarantee a positive outcome for Liverpool and it would still be a difficult match, but I'd rather play a naturally less-motivated Chelsea after they have won the title than one that is still under pressure to win it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chucked it into a predictor and got this (didn't bother with GD) ....

Team P GD Pts
Chelsea 38 35 88
Man City 38 31 79
Arsenal 38 26 76
Liverpool 38 13 70
Man Utd 38 24 69
Southampton 38 19 65
Tottenham 38 4 62

Spurs 12 out of last 27 points available. I suspect there may be just a little bias in your predictions :)

I've currently got this:

1. Chelsea 88 (def Hull)
2. City 79 (def WBA)
3. Arsenal 78 (def Newcastle)
4. Liverpool 75 (draw with Man United)
5. Man United 73 (draw with Liverpool)
6. Tottenham 71 (def Swansea)
7. Southampton 71 (def Burnley)

Games in brackets are the next games and my expected result. So if United beat Liverpool they go to 75 and Liverpool drop to 74.

I've currently got this:

1. Chelsea 88 (def Hull)
2. City 79 (def WBA)
3. Arsenal 78 (def Newcastle)
4. Liverpool 75 (draw with Man United)
5. Man United 73 (draw with Liverpool)
6. Tottenham 71 (def Swansea)
7. Southampton 71 (def Burnley)

Games in brackets are the next games and my expected result. So if United beat Liverpool they go to 75 and Liverpool drop to 74.

Don't Spurs play Leicester? Presumably same result though.

Don't Spurs play Leicester? Presumably same result though.

Yes they do. I was looking at Liverpool fixtures on my list.

Have Spurs down for the win against Leicester in any case.

Just noticed we've got Hull & WBA away back to back. Could easily drop points there. Happy to see we've got Stoke in the last round. They usually turn to s**t once they can't qualify for europe or get relegated. The way Palace are going they will hopefully be safe by the time we play them at home.

Back