Top two finish awaits!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not with a five day break.The AFL stuffed up by giving us the Sunday game round 22.Obviously didn't give us a show at a top two berth when the fixtures were drawn up.
Daymm, didn't factor that in , was wondering why Gillion was going on about Richmond v North as a given. Wonder if we could rest a few against the Dees at subi and still get the points..

So we're likely to get Saturday middle of the day game then? Then a Friday night final or Saturday day game for a 7 day break?

Not with a five day break.The AFL stuffed up by giving us the Sunday game round 22.Obviously didn't give us a show at a top two berth when the fixtures were drawn up.

Disgraceful fixturing by the AFL, truth be told.

The Sunday of R22 includes West Coast, Freo, Sydney and Adelaide, which rules all of them out for a Friday night game in R23. Then you factor in the above teams' opponents for R23 and that further rules out Port as a potential Friday night fixture.

All in all the only possible Friday night fixtures for R23 are Collingwood vs. Essendon, Richmond vs. North and Hawthorn vs. Carlton. Not a non-Victorian team in sight. Pretty sure that was just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

What makes it worse is the R23 fixtures have a big influence on the fixtures for Week 1 of the finals, which again gives the impression the AFL were planning on scheduling a final at the MCG first Friday night of the finals.

All top 4 teams get a saturday game to give us equal break with us potentially Friday due to travel considerations as Hawks,Swans,WCE wont be travelling as all home games.

Also with Sunlight being our source of power I prefer not having night finals !!!! No sun is kryptonite for us. We are a solar driven team :)

Sorry for butting in as a WCE

I was actually talking about this today with a mate. It is disgraceful AFL fixturing that you guys are playing on the Sunday in round 22. It sux for WCE too but I can understand that as we weren't expected to be a strong team but Freo were always considered top 4 at beginning of season. it is going to leave at least one of the teams (most likely you guys on top) but we could also finish 4th with Back to Back 6 day breaks going into the Friday night final.

If we have top 2 wrapped up by then surely we rest as many as we can without leaving Peel decimated.
That would be a near certainty I would think. Other teams will be preparing their key players for finals as well if the round 23 game has little relevance. But for us it will be essential to use the advantage that has been built over the season.

That would be a near certainty I would think. Other teams will be preparing their key players for finals as well if the round 23 game has little relevance. But for us it will be essential to use the advantage that has been built over the season.

Hasnt the AFL got rules to prevent just this.

But the AFL Commission is now demanding all clubs play to their merits by rewriting Rule 29.

It now says: "To perform on one's merits' means at all times to perform honestly and to the best of one's ability in the pursuit only of legitimate competitive objectives.

"For the avoidance of doubt 'legitimate competitive objective' includes the development of the team or players or management of player fatigue or injuries, but does not include improving a club's draft position, improving a club's position with respect to a potential player exchange or manipulating a club's position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the finals series."

From: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rs-before-finals/story-fni5f22o-1226742732855

Not sure how the AFL intends to enforce that if Freo 'rested' a handful of players in R23.

The way I read that, we could still rest players coming in to the finals. We are doing it in pursuit of legitimate competitive objectives. If we rest half the team in Round 23 (citing fatigue), we are much more likely to win finals. We wouldn't be trying to change our opponent, just trying to field a fitter team in the finals.

They think they have stitched us up,but it seems they have just endorsed exactly what we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the AFL Commission is now demanding all clubs play to their merits by rewriting Rule 29.

It now says: "To perform on one's merits' means at all times to perform honestly and to the best of one's ability in the pursuit only of legitimate competitive objectives.

"For the avoidance of doubt 'legitimate competitive objective' includes the development of the team or players or management of player fatigue or injuries, but does not include improving a club's draft position, improving a club's position with respect to a potential player exchange or manipulating a club's position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the finals series."

From: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rs-before-finals/story-fni5f22o-1226742732855

Not sure how the AFL intends to enforce that if Freo 'rested' a handful of players in R23.

According to this language, all should be fine as long as we are already Minor Premiers before round 23 ... ;-)

. it is going to leave at least one of the teams (most likely you guys on top) but we could also finish 4th with Back to Back 6 day breaks going into the Friday night final.

I don' think that's going to happen. Finals week 1 Friday night Game at the G will be 5th v 8th.

Any games played by the Top 4 will be on the Saturday, probably lunch time, to allow any travelling team a chance to get back home on the same day.

6th v 7th will be on the Sunday.

If you work back from that, the top 4 condenders should all play on the Saturday in Rd 23. I say SHOULD - the AwFL aren't known for their ability to do things properly.

I don' think that's going to happen. Finals week 1 Friday night Game at the G will be 5th v 8th.

Any games played by the Top 4 will be on the Saturday, probably lunch time, to allow any travelling team a chance to get back home on the same day.

6th v 7th will be on the Sunday.

If you work back from that, the top 4 condenders should all play on the Saturday in Rd 23. I say SHOULD - the AwFL aren't known for their ability to do things properly.

Problem is if Freo finish top and West Coast finish second - not sure you could get two games at Subi in one day, so one would likely be Friday night.

Edit: I'm referring to week 1 of the finals.

Hasnt the AFL got rules to prevent just this.
Not really. They are about as wishy washy as can be. And anyway, the reality is that if forced to play our very best side then surely the players would be instructed to go through the motions in anticipation of the game that actually matters. The only thing that will matter will be preparedness for Finals.

Is the Peel alignment set in stone yet. I reckon they'll be pretty pissed if we steal half the team for Rnd 23.

First time Peel make the finals and we're going to basically destroy any chance of winning for them.

I wonder as well, but it looks like Peel have already bent over for the club lol. Club seems to have all say how they play and which players get preference in positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back