Pick two

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Inspired by many comments I have seen across many threads about which players posters would like to see break out, this thread is for picking two players you want (not necessarily think) will break out in 2023. This is under the assumption than no other players in the rest of the squad plays at a level far beyond what they have shown. They can return to a previous high level. For example, Kuek kicking 50 goals is a breakout but Darcy making AA isn't because he was very close in 2021.

Justify it a little bit if you want. I'll go with

Sturt
Henry

It's tempting to say Amiss, but I personally feel his ascent to a 60 goal forward is (injury contingent) inevitable so I'll be patient. Sturt (especially) and Henry would really add a lot to the team and their ascent feels far less certain and needs to happen soon for both I feel.

Inspired by many comments I have seen across many threads about which players posters would like to see break out, this thread is for picking two players you want (not necessarily think) will break out in 2023. This is under the assumption than no other players in the rest of the squad plays at a level far beyond what they have shown. They can return to a previous high level. For example, Kuek kicking 50 goals is a breakout but Darcy making AA isn't because he was very close in 2021.

Sturt
Henry

It's tempting to say Amiss, but I personally feel his ascent to a 60 goal forward is (injury contingent) inevitable so I'll be patient. Sturt (especially) and Henry would really add a lot to the team and their ascent feels far less certain and needs to happen soon for both I feel.

I agree with your two, and for the same reason. Both have it in them, too I believe

Sturt
Henry

Good choices, I'd still pick Amiss because more than anyone else, if he broke out this year and had a Jeremy Cameron type 2nd year then we'd probably win a flag. I'm going to lock Treacy as my 2nd choice because the only thing better than having a young dominant key forward is having two of them...

Kuek and Johnson. Kuek I think has a high ceiling but would be doing really well to play more than 5 or so games this year. Johnson is one of my favourites and I rated him higher than Neil and Amiss in their draft year, so I'd like to be proven right in that regard

Honorable mentions to any one of Emmett/Corbett/Sturt

Treacy is a good one. Didn't consider that. Amiss and Treacy breaking out to be 50 goal forwards would be orgasmic.

I consider Banners a lock to kick 40 so I don't count it as a breakout...

Someone’s suffering from spleeno deprivation

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Johnson
Treacy

IF Johnson emerges he has a pretty wide scope for impact with his combination of height and skill set. He can spend time in the middle, wing and up forward. A rotation with Fyfe forward could be amazing.

IF Treacy busts his way into a starting forward position he provides a solution to perhaps our greatest current weakness; dependence on Taberner. And in due course he and Amiss become our quality KPFs. The stuff of dreams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treacy and Switta for me (i.e. Treacy cementing a spot, Switta staying healthy and both kicking 30+).

Those two having career seasons will change the dimensions of our forward line dramatically.

Treacy is the only bloke we have in our forward stable who is tracking toward the physical, bash and crash forward that makes defenders think twice about dropping into the hole. I think Sturt, Corbett and Amiss are roughly cut from the same cloth (ignoring height differences for a second) as fast, lead up forwards who use their craft to create space and I'm not counting Jackson as I don't see him as a true KPF.

If Shoota can at least make par in 2023 then having Switta as a second, dangerous small forward I think is absolutely critical to us kicking bigger scores.

I’d go with Johnson and Amiss right now.
I trust them a little more than the other options at this point

Treacy and Amiss for me, having two talls in the forward line permanently with Jackson/Darcy/Fyfe rotation for the third tall is going to be key to our structure moving forward, there are 23 games this year so Treacy, Amiss & Tabs only have to play 15 each for us to maintain the structure, if they each get close to 30 goals from 15 games then we’ll have the consistency required to take the next step.

My first nomination is Jackson. For all the hype and trade cost, out of his 52 games there might be 10 (even less) genuinely good games. The rest have just been glimpses of his potential. He's young and tall, so there is nothing wrong with that. Until those good games become the norm, I don't think he has broken out. Hopefully this year is when he truly announces himself.

Amiss is the other one I hope breaks out, for obvious reasons considering the state of our forward line.

Treacy and Sturt (or Emmett or Corbett - whoever takes that spot as Med Fwd).

All for the reasons others have stated above. Treacy still has time after this year but coming a year early would be magic. Sturt or whoever grabs that spot because of the difference they’d make to us.

Amiss has time and Treacy’s breakout would reduce the chances of us over using Amiss too early in his career.

Treacy is a good one. Didn't consider that. Amiss and Treacy breaking out to be 50 goal forwards would be orgasmic.
Treacy having a big year also reduces some of the pressure on Amiss.

Regardless of everything the coaching staff are likely doing to temper expectations, he's carrying the weight of being supporters' latest hope for a forward line that's been various degrees of broken since 2015.

I' go with Treacy and Sturt also. Treacy had a great first season but injury derailed last season - just needs to manage his workload and resume the trajectory of two seasons ago. Sturt is on his last life, and we'd all love to see him take the opportunity. Last year was his first season with us of playing a full season so let's hope his injury woes are behind him - from there it will just take effort to live up to his potential.

Definitely Treacy and Amiss. Problem solved if those two can each manage a breakout season.

A well functioning forward line is all that is holding us back from being a serious contender now.

Hogan and Bennell! This will finally be THEIR year! Fragmantle!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back