List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

If we lose Martin Baker Rioli Grimes Prestia McIntosh & Pickett at seasons end that is a lot of experience going out of the side and if you're simply replacing them with a bunch of draftees, even if they're mostly top 30 picks, we're going to struggle like we did against the Eagles, but it will be every week.

In naming the players I did, you set the level of return you expect for losing a Baker or Rioli. Sure we probably don't get any of those named, but if you don't ask you don't know. Maybe a guy like Humphrey or Treacy wants to return to Victoria, and both of them would certainly address a list need for us.

If you don't get those bigger names you still might be able to get a good young player as part of a deal, with say a future R2 pick so that we can spread our acquisition of kids across multiple years rather than taking a heap of picks in 1 draft year.

The point is we shouldn't just be looking for picks, get in some more young talent that compliments what we've already already got.

Losing 7 seems extreme but I don't think it's that overboard. Our best 23 this year that we played against Carlton was way too old, certainly for a developing team. Only kids that played were Campbell and MRJ. Dow and Mansell are surely old enough to not be considered kids now. We went into this season with probably 3-4 too many older players. Of those 7 the last 4 simply have to go. We won't get any compo for Martin, despite what people here might think so I think wed be better off letting Baker and Rioli go and getting something decent for them, whilst keeping Dusty. But I don't think we are forcing anyone out, so it's not really up to us who wants to leave anyway.

Our strongest side was probably Round 1 vs Carlton.

--------------------------------------------

FB: Grimes Young Gibcus
HB: Short Broad Vlastuin

C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
Foll: Nank, Hopper, Prestia

HF: MRJ Baker Bolton
FF: Balta Martin Lynch

Int: Rioli, Dow, Pickett, Campbell
Sub: Mansell

Going by whispers, plus logic re: retirements/delistings/trades, we're probably going to lose...

Retire: Grimes, Prestia?
Trade: Martin, Baker, Short?, Graham?, Broad?
Trade/Delist: McIntosh

Maybe give Prestia a 1 year contract, if he doesn't retire. Graham can probably stay too, simply for the bigger body if there's no decent bites. Pickett a 1 year-deal for aggro (and get him to 100). If an offer for Short is good, take it. Broad is still under-rated, and we'll need a solid defensive core while the kids learn if we're going to be losing more than winning.

Means our R1 team next year could look like this

FB: Gibcus Young Miller
HB: Brown Broad Vlastuin

C: Pickett Prestia Ross
Foll: Nank, Hopper, Taranto

HF: Mansell Balta Bolton
FF: MRJ Lynch Ryan

Int: Rioli, McAuliffe, Campbell, Sonsie
Sub: Graham

Decent mix of experience and youth, even without our incoming drafts/trades this year taken into consideration. Still have potential of Clarke, Trezise, Bauer, Smith, Fawcett, Coulthard as well

Yeah but not all of the older guys will leave this year. I reckon Rioli stays for sure, Pickett probably gets another year, as does Prestia, Dusty 50/50. Plus by the end of next season Koschitzke, Mansell, MRJ and Miller will likely have played 50 games too. The players just on that list is the core of a very good side still.

I think we'll pick up a couple of experienced, cheapish recruits come trade/free agency this year as well.

Our youth is probably the worst in the league. We need early picks badly IMO.
We need to be targeting quality over quantity when it comes to improving our youth. If our mid-late 20s guys are looking at moving, then we need quality to replace them and you can't just load up with draft picks. There has to be a blend of draftees and ready to go quality players to replace them.
FB: Brown, Gibcus, Broad
HB: Short, Vlastuin, Rioli
CEN: Ralphsmith, Hopper, Ross
FOL: Nankervis, Taranto, Bolton
HF: Rioli Jnr, Balta, Campbell
FF: Mansell, Lynch, Lefau

BEN: Tresize, Mcauliffe, Banks, Coulthard, Ryan

The bolded players have all played over 100 games, 9 of the starting 18. Balta will be close to 100 and Ross will have played mid 70's or low 80's. In the Pre-season Prestia did a podcast about wanting to play long like athletes have done in other codes, and Martin could very well go on another year as well, so that'd be two more experienced players that could be added to the mix

That is still a strong core of senior guys to provide structure, stability, and competitiveness to create a healthy environment for bringing in young players. It does include Rioli who is unlikely to leave but if he does there is still enough senior experience to cover
It's a good looking side on paper, but you're banking on having little to no injuries to those in bold to remain competitive and if injuries do happen, there isn't a lot of experience to turn to to lead the side and we could very well end up playing a lot of games where the team resembles the side that played on Sunday.
I’d rather use our handful of pics to secure likes of Will Phillips or Josh fahey from gws , freo prob would throw in treacy but would soften the deal , I’d want freo first or their lowest r1 they got
If we were to lose both Baker & Rioli, I'd like to try and trade for 2025 R1 picks instead of this year. The reason being is that we'll likely be trading up with our current draft hand to get a couple more picks inside 30 this year. Adding Frematle & Suns 2025 R1 picks to our own would give us a nice spread of top end talent across 2 years rather than just banking on nailing the ones draft.

Going by whispers, plus logic re: retirements/delistings/trades, we're probably going to lose...

Maybe give Prestia a 1 year contract, if he doesn't retire. Graham can probably stay too, simply for the bigger body if there's no decent bites. Pickett a 1 year-deal for aggro (and get him to 100). If an offer for Short is good, take it. Broad is still under-rated, and we'll need a solid defensive core while the kids learn if we're going to be losing more than winning.

Decent mix of experience and youth, even without our incoming drafts/trades this year taken into consideration. Still have potential of Clarke, Trezise, Bauer, Smith, Fawcett, Coulthard as well

Game speeds up every year. If we are still going with Prestia, Hopper, Taranto in the middle with Ross and Pickett on the wings by round 1 next year we are in all sorts.

Good its an absolute *ing rort that disadvantages every other side , they should pay a premium for the right to match a bid not a *ing discount, what knob head ever thought that was equitable
brilliant just brilliant,ive shouted this from my aarse to my mouth,im gold coast sydney etc and im stealing pick 1 -20 and giving u several junk picks, and FOR THIS THUKING AFL WILL GIVE ME A 20% DISCOUNT ON TOP OF SELLING MY EARLY PICKS FOR SEVERAL TIMES THEIR WORTH.

Baker has chosen a great time to be having a career best season. Career high disposals, goals, clearances, tackles…. the 2 x seasons prior to this he has been a 19 x disposals, half a goal a game player. Eg. Shiel, Ward, Simpkin, Jarrod Berry.

I don’t want to lose him, but rest assured we will get massive overs in a trade for a 173cm ‘utility’. He’s 27yo start of 2025, so it’ll hurt the short term on-field but can really help get the absolute elite talent we need.

Based on his current year and the contract offer he’ll get, I think we can get a top-10 pick plus a little extra. Freo will see him as a crucial piece of a Premiership puzzle and will pay overs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He did it last time he was out of contract. I loves bakes but it won’t be the end of the world when he leaves, we will get good compensation.

brilliant just brilliant,ive shouted this from my aarse to my mouth,im gold coast sydney etc and im stealing pick 1 -20 and giving u several junk picks, and FOR THIS THUKING AFL WILL GIVE ME A 20% DISCOUNT ON TOP OF SELLING MY EARLY PICKS FOR SEVERAL TIMES THEIR WORTH.
That’s exactly how it works who invented this , al Capone

We need to be targeting quality over quantity when it comes to improving our youth. If our mid-late 20s guys are looking at moving, then we need quality to replace them and you can't just load up with draft picks. There has to be a blend of draftees and ready to go quality players to replace them.

It's a good looking side on paper, but you're banking on having little to no injuries to those in bold to remain competitive and if injuries do happen, there isn't a lot of experience to turn to to lead the side and we could very well end up playing a lot of games where the team resembles the side that played on Sunday.

If we were to lose both Baker & Rioli, I'd like to try and trade for 2025 R1 picks instead of this year. The reason being is that we'll likely be trading up with our current draft hand to get a couple more picks inside 30 this year. Adding Frematle & Suns 2025 R1 picks to our own would give us a nice spread of top end talent across 2 years rather than just banking on nailing the ones draft.
The r2s we have would get well credentialed young players not getting a game , as mentioned fahey , Phillips , both young too. Prestia can’t be re signed , with his durability just waste of a spot

Stephen Wells and Adrian Dildoro…

Are *s.
Jason Sudeikis Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV

Game speeds up every year. If we are still going with Prestia, Hopper, Taranto in the middle with Ross and Pickett on the wings by round 1 next year we are in all sorts.
Prestia could be retired, but we have Hopper and Taranto in the middle for the next 4 years. That's reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got this feeling he won't be allowed to choose football.
If this is meant to be a dig a Brooke you are off the mark
She is literally the daughter of an afl player and both Cotch’s daughters play jr footy

Baker has chosen a great time to be having a career best season. Career high disposals, goals, clearances, tackles…. the 2 x seasons prior to this he has been a 19 x disposals, half a goal a game player. Eg. Shiel, Ward, Simpkin, Jarrod Berry.

I don’t want to lose him, but rest assured we will get massive overs in a trade for a 173cm ‘utility’. He’s 27yo start of 2025, so it’ll hurt the short term on-field but can really help get the absolute elite talent we need.

Based on his current year and the contract offer he’ll get, I think we can get a top-10 pick plus a little extra. Freo will see him as a crucial piece of a Premiership puzzle and will pay overs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This could be one of the greatest Win/Win/Win's in AFL history. Baker gets a massive long term contract that sets him up for life, Freo land a local with leadership and premiership success, and we turn a rookie (who's already qualified for F/S) into a pick around 7, whilst freeing up salary cap for Free Agents in positions that urgently need filling. These flogs better rest him a couple times during the season to make sure he's cherry ripe and not injured.

That midfield is still treacle slow and Prestia will do a string in the first qtr...

Prestia could be retired, but we have Hopper and Taranto in the middle for the next 4 years. That's reality.
Happy with that as long as they aren’t surrounded by Prestia, Graham, Pickett, McIntosh & co. Let’s get some youth and leg speed around those two and improve the balance.

This could be one of the greatest Win/Win/Win's in AFL history. Baker gets a massive long term contract that sets him up for life, Freo land a local with leadership and premiership success, and we turn a rookie (who's already qualified for F/S) into a pick around 7, whilst freeing up salary cap for Free Agents in positions that urgently need filling. These flogs better rest him a couple times during the season to make sure he's cherry ripe and not injured.
It's a good plan until he notches 100 games with Freo ................. then the kid has a choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back