List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL. No chance any of them are involved. We're not challenging anytime in the next few years anyway, picks are what we want.
Picks are fine, but we've seen with North and even the Suns before them, that having a heap of kids taken with R1 picks is not the greatest way to becoming a competitve side again. We need players as well, especially quality players so we'd be negligent if we're not asking about players that may be available.

Trade both in my opinion.
Nbc Monster GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Picks are fine, but we've seen with North and even the Suns before them, that having a heap of kids taken with R1 picks is not the greatest way to becoming a competitve side again. We need players as well, especially quality players so we'd be negligent if we're not asking about players that may be available.
We'll still have plenty of experienced guys. Norf cut way too deep.

LOL. No chance any of them are involved. We're not challenging anytime in the next few years anyway, picks are what we want.
I agree that picks are what we want but I think that if we could pick the eyes out of the drafts that we missed due to success that could a good go. IF and it is a massive IF Rioli does decide to want to leave maybe a deal like Rioli + R2 pick for Flanders and a 3rd round.

I don't want to lose Rioli and would much rather sell Short off but Flanders is 22 and starting to look the goods. We have list that is devoid of experience within that 24 and younger profile.

We'll still have plenty of experienced guys. Norf cut way too deep.
If we lose Martin Baker Rioli Grimes Prestia McIntosh & Pickett at seasons end that is a lot of experience going out of the side and if you're simply replacing them with a bunch of draftees, even if they're mostly top 30 picks, we're going to struggle like we did against the Eagles, but it will be every week.

In naming the players I did, you set the level of return you expect for losing a Baker or Rioli. Sure we probably don't get any of those named, but if you don't ask you don't know. Maybe a guy like Humphrey or Treacy wants to return to Victoria, and both of them would certainly address a list need for us.

If you don't get those bigger names you still might be able to get a good young player as part of a deal, with say a future R2 pick so that we can spread our acquisition of kids across multiple years rather than taking a heap of picks in 1 draft year.

The point is we shouldn't just be looking for picks, get in some more young talent that compliments what we've already already got.

would imagine the incoming tasmania side would be on the thoughts of your list management, do you bottom out now or wait a few more years and get rooted by tassie? i think freo will be pretty happy to pay whatever price for someone like baker as weve come to the point that we dont want/need to bring in more kids and extend out our rebuild even more. clearly need someone of his quality badly

getting in as much quality within a few years of eachother should be the way to go and you already have a good sprinkling of young talent

Really need West Coast to not finish last. First pick in the PSD would be a huge bargaining chip in a Baker trade. I know we're very cordial at the trade table and they'd probably want to get a deal done, but it would effect our leverage drastically.

What do you think last week was all about scarey? ;)

would imagine the incoming tasmania side would be on the thoughts of your list management, do you bottom out now or wait a few more years and get rooted by tassie? i think freo will be pretty happy to pay whatever price for someone like baker as weve come to the point that we dont want/need to bring in more kids and extend out our rebuild even more. clearly need someone of his quality badly

getting in as much quality within a few years of eachother should be the way to go and you already have a good sprinkling of young talent
I am of the opinion that we should be building the list hard now to then be able to start making the upswing during the Tassie draft time.

If we can cut deep without losing a lot of experience we would hope we could be there abouts with the GWS build where after 4 years they were looking good. IF we can start this this year and next and aim for 2028/29 to be on the upswing that would be ideal

I am of the opinion that we should be building the list hard now to then be able to start making the upswing during the Tassie draft time.

If we can cut deep without losing a lot of experience we would hope we could be there abouts with the GWS build where after 4 years they were looking good. IF we can start this this year and next and aim for 2028/29 to be on the upswing that would be ideal
yeah thats probably for the best and its a hard balance to strike. obviously dont want to cut down all the way, but being able to cash in on a few players is better for the long term. i have been impressed by your youngsters who i didnt really know much of before, had a really good outing against the swans and just seemed dog hungry. thats a good starting point for you, get a few at the pointy end this year and you probably leap frog north and the eagles quick smart 🤣

i guess the question is who is best to keep around at this point of your list demographic?

I agree that picks are what we want but I think that if we could pick the eyes out of the drafts that we missed due to success that could a good go. IF and it is a massive IF Rioli does decide to want to leave maybe a deal like Rioli + R2 pick for Flanders and a 3rd round.

I don't want to lose Rioli and would much rather sell Short off but Flanders is 22 and starting to look the goods. We have list that is devoid of experience within that 24 and younger profile.
Yuck.
If we lose Martin Baker Rioli Grimes Prestia McIntosh & Pickett at seasons end that is a lot of experience going out of the side and if you're simply replacing them with a bunch of draftees, even if they're mostly top 30 picks, we're going to struggle like we did against the Eagles, but it will be every week.

In naming the players I did, you set the level of return you expect for losing a Baker or Rioli. Sure we probably don't get any of those named, but if you don't ask you don't know. Maybe a guy like Humphrey or Treacy wants to return to Victoria, and both of them would certainly address a list need for us.

If you don't get those bigger names you still might be able to get a good young player as part of a deal, with say a future R2 pick so that we can spread our acquisition of kids across multiple years rather than taking a heap of picks in 1 draft year.

The point is we shouldn't just be looking for picks, get in some more young talent that compliments what we've already already got.
It is but Grimes, Prestia, McIntosh and Pickett wouldn't/shouldn't be best 22 next year anyway. I doubt we let Rioli leave if Baker chooses to go. Norf have been the youngest side in the comp for years, whereas we'd probably still be around mid-table in age once the older guys leave. We still have plenty of blokes in the best side in their mid 20's and older, where Norf had bugger all after the purge.
Really need West Coast to not finish last. First pick in the PSD would be a huge bargaining chip in a Baker trade. I know we're very cordial at the trade table and they'd probably want to get a deal done, but it would effect our leverage drastically.
We just need Baker to not nominate Eagles. Ideally both clubs are keen, which they supposedly are. Freo have the picks and the cash.

It is but Grimes, Prestia, McIntosh and Pickett wouldn't/shouldn't be best 22 next year anyway. I doubt we let Rioli leave if Baker chooses to go. Norf have been the youngest side in the comp for years, whereas we'd probably still be around mid-table in age once the older guys leave. We still have plenty of blokes in the best side in their mid 20's and older, where Norf had bugger all after the purge.
This is who would be left in term of experience 50+ games, should we lose those players:

Lynch
Broad
Vlastuin
Nankervis
Short
Hopper
Taranto
Graham(?)
Bolton
Balta
Ross

That's not a heap of quality and a few injuries would quickly see us fielding a team like Sunday again. That is why I believe we need to find a balance between getting picks and ready made replacements.

Reckon Baker might’ve got an offer too good to refuse,(5-6 years, $1million a year) I’m becoming more and more resigned to the fact this may be his final year at the tigers

Baker has chosen a great time to be having a career best season. Career high disposals, goals, clearances, tackles…. the 2 x seasons prior to this he has been a 19 x disposals, half a goal a game player. Eg. Shiel, Ward, Simpkin, Jarrod Berry.

I don’t want to lose him, but rest assured we will get massive overs in a trade for a 173cm ‘utility’. He’s 27yo start of 2025, so it’ll hurt the short term on-field but can really help get the absolute elite talent we need.

Based on his current year and the contract offer he’ll get, I think we can get a top-10 pick plus a little extra. Freo will see him as a crucial piece of a Premiership puzzle and will pay overs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Baker nominates us you’ll get a fair deal, we’ve always been (overly) reasonable at the trade table. We could have walked Brockman to PSD last year but instead gave pick 44 and 63 without haggling. More than fair for a guy who was OOC, desperate to play for West Coast for club and family reasons who once Liam Ryan is fit is not a best 22 player.

We just don’t have the capital to pay you so if he leaves it’s 95% going to be Freo. Last year they too were reasonable at the trade treble. Only Essendon and Geelong and truly *wits with trade. You’ll ask for their best 1R, they’ll offer their last 1R then you’ll probably settle on their middle one, shake hands and get on with the rest of the trade period.

Can’t possibly see Eagles trading high draft capital and offering a big contract for a 27yo 173cm utility. Would be crazy list management move for Eagles. Eagles need to hit the draft or bring in nobody over 23yo… anything else would be crazy given they need elite youth.

Gunna be the quickest list rebuild in history.
1st round Richmond Top 4 pick
1st round Gold Coast pick for Rioli
1st round Freo pick for Baker
1st round Brisbane pick swaps for Ashcroft
1st round Carlton pick swaps for Camporeale kid

🤣

Last time we had 5 x top-20 picks we got: Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Polo and Pattison 🤮

Would be a dog act if Baker agrees to that without Tiges getting anything in return... can't see it happening myself but you never know

I don't see Rioli leaving at all, tbh.

If all the other names are traded/leave due to retirement, then when still have a spine of Lynch, Balta, TT, Hopper, Nank, Vlastuin and Rioli.

Hopefully Miller plays the whole season, even when players start to return from injury, and he can fill the position in the spine of that KPD. If that does happen, the spine of the team isn't that bad, in all honesty.

That doesn't include players like Shai, Ross, Mansell etc...

As long as the majority of that spine is fit, then I don't see it getting as bad as what WCE went through.

Last time we had 5 x top-20 picks we got: Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Polo and Pattison 🤮

we ruined tambling ourselves

if he was drafted in 2016 he wouldve been a star

Kane Cornes: "I have been saying it for such a long time that the Tigers need to trade away some of their players that have currency and attack the draft and reset their aging list"

Richmond trades all those players and ends up with 9 first rounders

Kane Cornes: "I just think the whole trading system is broken. How is it fair that Richmond have 9 picks in the first round. 9 Picks Kingy, it is just a rort"
David King: "They did trade away some players so they did give up a bit"
Cornes: "That doesn't matter Kingy. Port doesn't enter the draft till pick 35. I am just saying the AFL need to investigate this"
Wow that was if cornes and kingy were in my room talking to me,I could actually hear there voices ,lol

Yuck.

We just need Baker to not nominate Eagles. Ideally both clubs are keen, which they supposedly are. Freo have the picks and the cash.

I do think it makes sense if we want to win flags in the future we might need to balance our list better by offering up some of our gun utilities and flanker types like Baker and Rioli and convert them into inside mids and key position players. Only if it suits the players themselves of course. Forcing loyal players out is not good for the culture overall.

Richmond has had a pretty strong policy of just trying to draft useful footballers rather than using later picks as hail mary attempts to land inside mids and key position players. The need for key position players has become so acute in the last couple of years that the club has had to use speculative picks trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat. So far, fingers crossed, Lefau and Young might turn out ok. And the club started addressing its desperate need for a new generation of inside mids by recruiting Hopper and Taranto. But you need about 4 quality inside mids and the right type of mixture, and an urgent part of correctly balancing our list now is finding a marquee guy in there, your million dollar salary type(in his prime.) One ready to play guy and one rising star mid might be about our best hope. Not saying Flanders is our ready to play guy, but he has the right type of profile. There will be others. And then use our 2024 1st pick to try to get our rising star mid and pray like **** you don't get a Paddy Dow.

I guess one of the great benefits of recruiting a lot of seemingly surplus utilities and flankers with later picks is that some of them will turn out really good and teams looking to contend will want them to finish off their lists. Which allows us to get into the area of the draft where you have a pretty high strike rate for recruiting gun inside mids and key position players.

It is going to be intriguing watching this unfold but something tells me over the next 2 off-seasons we will be investing heavily in both mature and prospective inside mids and key position players. Hopefully we get some Cotchin Edwards Martin Rance Riewoldt Astbury equivalents somewhere in that process.

Baker has chosen a great time to be having a career best season. Career high disposals, goals, clearances, tackles…. the 2 x seasons prior to this he has been a 19 x disposals, half a goal a game player. Eg. Shiel, Ward, Simpkin, Jarrod Berry.

I don’t want to lose him, but rest assured we will get massive overs in a trade for a 173cm ‘utility’. He’s 27yo start of 2025, so it’ll hurt the short term on-field but can really help get the absolute elite talent we need.

Based on his current year and the contract offer he’ll get, I think we can get a top-10 pick plus a little extra. Freo will see him as a crucial piece of a Premiership puzzle and will pay overs.

We made one huge error with Baker. We drafted him a year too late. otherwise he would be a free agent this year and we'd be likely getting a top 5 pick for him.

Been thinking about it and if the likes of Baker & Daniel want to leave then I'd be asking for proven players rather than just draft picks in return.

If Daniel wanted to go to the Suns then I'd be telling them that it's going to take someone like

Anderson
Rowell
Flanders
King
Humphrey

Baker is a bit harder being out of contract, but if he asked to go to Fremantle then I'd be asking about the following

Hayden Young
Josh Treacy

By asking for those types players it may well force them to pay more in terms of draft picks as a fall back position as theyd be reluctant to lose their talented players as they build for a shot at a flag.
Why are people talking about Daniel leaving
As if he would leave the Tigers
This talk is ridiculous
Even more ridiculous than jack lukosius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back