Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he's been a great pickup and exactly the sort of player we're missing. I don't care if he's not a "hard nut in and under" player, we have those in abundance. What we don't have is outside runners with legitimate skill and pace. Varcoe fits that bill perfectly and we know what he can do on the big stage, we saw it first hand.

Perfect replace and ultimately upgrade on Lumumba. In saying that I do think that Lumumba was chastised a little too much on here, I liked his ability to burst out of traffic even if it was heart-in-mouth stuff a lot of the time. Overall though, I think what Varcoe brings in terms of outside play is more beneficial to us than what Lumumba brought to the table, which he did pretty well, you don't play almost 200 games in a side playing in finals year on year and contending/winning premierships by accident.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-06-22/is-varcoe-the-afls-most-successful

Apologies if this has been brought up here before but I thought I'd share this link to show how successful TV has been. In the above article there's a link to AFL stats about winning % of players and at the moment he has the highest winning % of any current player. Unfortunately I suspect this % may fall over the next month so we may have to "do a Hawthorn" to continue to claim we have the most successful player i.e. In the same way that Hawthorn claim that they are the "most successful team of the modern era", arbitrarily declaring "modern" to mean the past 60 years (because before that they were sh1t with no flags and 11 wooden spoons), we may have to claim that TV is the most successful player of all time* (who has played 149+ games)! Whichever way you look at it he's had a lot of success. Congrats Travis on 150 games this week* (if selected) ;) So much better having him in black & white!

That's true, a majority of the board didn't want Luke Ball either, let alone Leigh Brown.

Really?
It must have been a board in a universe far, far away.
I cannot remember even a rumbling of dissent over Luke Ball, in fact totally the opposite.
I'll do a search.

and the joyous news is rung accrossthe land............

I'll admit that I was wrong about Varcoe to this point.

I've really liked the way he's played at times this season and he has easily been the best performed of the 3 player trade when most people said he'd be the worst.
I don't think anyone can lose that 3 way trade. Each player in that trade needed some new scenery and got it. Each player in the three way trade had major flaws, but could also be great assets to their teams.

Really?
I cannot remember even a rumbling of dissent over Luke Ball, in fact totally the opposite.
I'll do a search.

You're better at searches than me Pie eyed, I can only go by memory, and since I can't find anything to back up my statement, I will concede that I got that one wrong.

Varcoe is a classy player. If anything, I was more concerned about his ability to remain injury free and stay on the park.

Really?
I'll do a search.

I was in Paris, up at 5am to listen to the draft call out, logged into this forum. We all wanted Luke Ball.

Looking at that thread - whatever happened to KissStephanie?

I was in Paris, up at 5am to listen to the draft call out, logged into this forum. We all wanted Luke Ball.

Looking at that thread - whatever happened to KissStephanie?

I actually remember the exact moment I heard it on the radio for some strange reason. Everyone wanted him. He was a missing link for our midfield.

I also remember when I heard we were getting Dermie, when I was a kid (I was in primary and the assistant principal read it over the loud speaker - he was a Pies man).

As for Varcoe, while I have been critical while watching some games, I think overall he has added "something" that we didn't have. He's been a good pickup so far.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're better at searches than me Pie eyed, I can only go by memory, and since I can't find anything to back up my statement, I will concede that I got that one wrong.
No biggy.
No doubt there were a few dissenters ..Big Bucks comes to mind, but on the whole I reckon Bally was welcomed with as close to unanimous "open arms" as you could get, as he would have been at any side, such is the quality of the man, not only the athlete.

Yeah I'll admit to having concerns about his ability to produce his best consistently. We all know that his best is superb. But I really liked the preseason interview he gave. He spoke about being in the best shape of his life , wanting to help lead the midfield and be a strong, mature, professional footballer.

It's all just words but the way he said it... I really believed him and I think that as he adjusts to life at PieLand, he's getting better.

As Knightmare has pointed out, his disposal can be off at times but I think that comes from trying to create too much, more than a lack of skill.

Happy he's a pie and I really enjoy watching him play. Seems like a good bloke too. Bonus.

His second efforts have been fantastic tonight, stripped the ball in the tackle a few times too, great to see.

Apologies to Varcoe for not having a 150 games thread for him.
Deserves every accolade.
Really fantastic signing.
His being in the side can only rub off on the younger blokes.

Anyone that isn't convinced by now isn't ever going to be. I love his game. The cleanest hands in the team, calm and composed to a near-Pendlebury level in traffic, great disposal, great speed, and elite tackling pressure.

Bravo on 150 Trav. Keep it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back