Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

This bloke is my favourite player right now.

He plays with such heart and intensity but he partners that with great skills which makes him even more of my favourite. I hope he keeps this up, his tackling and pressure has become the standard that our whole team should aim to replicate.

Especially loved the last part of his interview regarding close losses "it's a bitter taste, I hate it". He really cares about the success of our club and it's people like him who'll drive us to achieve it.

He's really embraced Collingwood. Love it. I thought with his tackling a couple of weeks ago was a bit soft and didn't really drive his opponent into the ground. Last night he absolutely belted someone and it was lovely to see. :)

Varcoe has become my favourite this year. His ability to get to multiple contest and influence team is second to none in noir side. He is quick, very hard (massive surprise) and an extremely intelligent and skill full player.

We could use another one of him tbh. Easily recruit if the year. If he keeps this up must be at least a nomination for AA.

Velvet sledgehammer.

I was a fan of his recruitment at the time but he's brought something to the table I didn't expect, a hard edge. Here's what I wrote about him in a player expectations thread pre season. A being above expectations, C being par and E being a complete fail.
Travis Varcoe

A - Plays every game of the season, kicks 30+ goals and averages 20+ possessions. Finishes top 5 in the Copeland. Provides the team with some pace and class.

B - Plays 20+ games for the year and uses his pace and skill to offer the team something it's been missing since Leon retired. Top 10 in the Copeland. Looks comfortable in the midfield and dangerous in the forward half.

C - Best 22 for the year but misses 4-5 games through niggles. Kicks a few classy goals when fit, looks dangerous when played forward and slippery on the wings. Only averages around 15 possessions a game but uses it well enough so that you could have sworn he had at least 20.

D - Averages less than 15 possessions and a goal a game. Misses chunks of the season and his form is inconsistent. Gets an occasional run in the VFL as a result of injury and form.

E - Struggles to make an impact in any position he's used in and gets shifted around the ground as a consequence. Misses large chunks of the season through injury and fails to make the most of his opportunities when fit. Bucks gives him a run in the VFL to find some form, he then gets another niggle/injury and a rest, rinse and repeat.

As you can see I was fairly optimistic but I misjudged what he would/could bring to the team. He's one of those players that makes you proud he's one of us at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely love this bloke... He is my favourite magpie right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back